What treestand safety harness

LateRiser

FNG
Rock climbing harness for me too. Being able to add or take off a jacket so easily is enough reason to switch imo. There are lots of other benefits too. Tying in on the front seems like a problem until you get in the tree and actually do it.

Yup. Using a traditional hunting harness seems insane once you go to a climbing one.

I do what DIYSportsman did above - webbing wrapped around the waist of my harness, zip ties to keep it in place for a linesman’s belt. Then attach the tree tether to the front once I’m up the tree. It’s never even come close to being in the way, unlike the connections in the back, which always managed to annoy me when I drew back or stood up or turned around or just sat there.

Not to mention that you can self rescue instead of hanging there like a piece of meat until you pass out or someone rescues you like with a hunting harness.

Just get an RC harness. There’s no comparison as far as safety, ease of use, weight, convenience and bulk. It’s better in every area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kipper09

WKR
This interests me. Been using a tree spider harness for a few years. It’s ok but not ideal. So everybody likes the black diamond harness? (Any specific model?) or any other ones to look at?? I understand the tree strap will have to still be used but what connects the climbing harness to the tree strap? Don’t mean to sound ignorant. Just want to get what I need because season is closing in

YouTube

The first part of the video he discusses this.

Thanks man, this video was extremely helpful as I have been wanting to switch to a rock climbing harness but wasnt sure about all the ins and outs as a hang and hunt a LOT so I rely heavily on my harness so im hands free, meaning a linemans belt while im hanging. Needs to be fail safe being i need to trust leaning fully into it while 20 ft up in the air not just worried about a fall alone.

DrHogfan

FNG
Thanks man, this video was extremely helpful as I have been wanting to switch to a rock climbing harness but wasnt sure about all the ins and outs as a hang and hunt a LOT so I rely heavily on my harness so im hands free, meaning a linemans belt while im hanging. Needs to be fail safe being i need to trust leaning fully into it while 20 ft up in the air not just worried about a fall alone.

I hear you I hang and hunt every sit. Every hunt being a virgin hunt and push in deep and close to bedding in nasty terrain. I will never go back to a regular harness now.

LateRiser

FNG
This interests me. Been using a tree spider harness for a few years. It’s ok but not ideal. So everybody likes the black diamond harness? (Any specific model?) or any other ones to look at?? I understand the tree strap will have to still be used but what connects the climbing harness to the tree strap? Don’t mean to sound ignorant. Just want to get what I need because season is closing in

I have a BD Alpine Bod harness. I like it because the leg straps click in, so it’s easy to get on and off with extra layers and boots, it’s light and packs down to nothing. (It’s made for backcountry skiing, so you don’t have to take your skis off to put it on).

It doesn’t have a dedicated tie-in loop on the front, so you need to hook your caribiner through the loop and behind the waist belt. I attach the biner that way and then to a prussic knot on my tree tether rope which is wrapped around the tree. (Tree tether is an 8-10’ static rope with a loop at one end that you put the tag end through around the tree at head height - then a smaller rope as a prussic knot that slides up and down for adjustment. Some guys use a Ropeman Ascender for this, and while I love the Ropeman for my lineman’s rope, I think a prussic works better for the tether because it’s quieter (no metal to bump) and rated for a fall).

One other note: a lot of harnesses require you to “double back” when putting on the waist belt, so don’t forget to do that.

A lot of guys use the BD Vario harness, which has a dedicated belay loop, so that’s an option too. Another is the Metolius harnesses, which are heavy duty and every loop is fall rated. But pretty much any RC harness will work.

DIY Sportsman has videos on all these. He’s essential watching for mobile setups and gear.