What treestand safety harness

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
Ive decided to get a new harness because I'm greedy and dont want my wife to get any insurance money that I cant help her spend on hunting equipment so I'm Looking for recommendations for a new treestand safety harness. I thought about the muddy ambush harness but wasnt sure on comfort. Looking for comfort, easy, adjustability, and a long tether so I can turn around for shots around the tree. Anyone have any ideas that may work? Would rather stick with hunting specific harnesses if possible. Thanks.

I have the hunter safety system ultra or something like that. Very light weight. Padded neoprene shoulders, excellent to bow hunt with. Very pleased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
I have both the muddy and the black diamond. Both are super comfortable but the Black Diamond is a rock climbing harness so probably not what you are interested in. Summit has a new harness that looks like it would work well.

cg2737

WKR
I switched to a rock climbing harness years ago and never looked back. You can pick one up at great prices on sierra trading post, REI, etc.

Murdy

WKR
I have an HSS that I've been using 5+ years, not the vest style but the more traditional harness-style. I find it comfortable and, though I'm sure the vest-style would be even more tangle free, I find that it doesn't really get twisted up bad like the cheap ones that come free with tree stands.

Battleguy

Banned
Had a HSS Hybrid vest that I sold bc it was too big. Trying to decide if I want that one again or the Ultralite. The pockets in the Hybrid are kinda nice, but the Ultralite is cheaper and lighter.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Muddy Top Flight

I used the clunky HSS for years with the school bus seat belt leg straps ever since they came out with them, then went to a minimalist Tree Spider for a few years, but now I use the Muddy Top Flight. The HSS Elite is really nice too...a couple of my buddies have those...it is basically the more expensive version of the Muddy Top Flight. It has some no-slip texturing on the shoulders to keep a rifle sling from sliding down off your shoulder.

I had an older HSS that did not have much of a "dip" in the back, so it would creep up and ride up the back of my neck all the time which drove me nuts. It looks like most of the current ones have a deeper v in the back but I see some of them still don't. So that would be the one thing I would make sure of. I just bought the HSS bowhunter but have yet to wear it.

I have used many over the years and have yet to find the perfect one to be honest. I am currently using the HSS X1 Bowhunter as I pack in for whitetails and its small and light with out any bells and whistles so it packs down nice so I can shove it in my pack. It is comfortable and easy to put on but what I HATE about it is the metal adjustment buckles end up smack dab in the middle of my thighs so if you walk in them they clank together. Otherwise a good basic harness at like $60.

Used a Summit I think two years ago. Pretty nice harness but had to scrap it as I ended up developing L Hip Bursitis as I hunt so often it irritated the bursa on the outside of my hip because the metal buckle sits right on that spot. So with the pressure put on it from hanging stands, climbing steps, etc irritated the hell out of my hip. Might work for you though as it was an awesome harness besides the buckles.

Used a Muddy Harness last year. Pretty good, quiet, packed well, easy to put on. Only issue is it wasn't terribly comfortable with the thin leg straps and lack of straps in the lower back, butt area. This means when you are leaning into while hanging sticks/stands these 1.5 inch straps dig right into your butt cheeks. Again, might be good if youre not a high volume hunter or spend a lot of times leaning into the harness. I hunt and hang every hunt so I spend a lot of time putting all my weight into the harness.

Thinking in the future might go with a rock climbing harness as others have mentioned as I don't think the hunting specific ones are of the highest quality to be honest. Good luck with your search.

To any of the guys using rock harnesses? Do you use a Linemans belt while climbing the tree, setting climbing sticks/stands etc and if so where do you clip in? Most of the hunting harnesses have a loop on each side to clip into but I don't see those on any of the rock climbing harnesses mentioned, only loops to attach equipment.

I imagine those aren't safe to use to support your weight or clip a linemans belt to so do you just use the one attachment loop in the front? Seems like that would be a pita while hanging equipment but I have never used one so wouldn't know for sure.

Also, do they have a loop to clip into on the back of the harness or do you have to run your tether around to the front and clip into that one attachment loop in the front?

To any of the guys using rock harnesses? Do you use a Linemans belt while climbing the tree, setting climbing sticks/stands etc and if so where do you clip in? Most of the hunting harnesses have a loop on each side to clip into but I don't see those on any of the rock climbing harnesses mentioned, only loops to attach equipment.

I imagine those aren't safe to use to support your weight or clip a linemans belt to so do you just use the one attachment loop in the front? Seems like that would be a pita while hanging equipment but I have never used one so wouldn't know for sure.

Also, do they have a loop to clip into on the back of the harness or do you have to run your tether around to the front and clip into that one attachment loop in the front?

i've seen a lot of guys sew a runner around the backside of their waist belt to make a spot to connect a linemans belt but i just clip the carabiners for mine right to the waist belt. i put them right behind where the leg strap meets the waist belt so they can't slip forward.

my harness has a loop in the back but i only use it for hooking my bow pull up rope to. i attach my tether to the front of my harness and run it up under my right armpit to a strap around tree with very little slack in the system. if i fall i want to be facing the tree when it's over so i can get back on stand.

DrHogfan

FNG

YouTube

The first part of the video he discusses this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
Rock climbing harness for me too. Being able to add or take off a jacket so easily is enough reason to switch imo. There are lots of other benefits too. Tying in on the front seems like a problem until you get in the tree and actually do it.