Barnes TTSX vs. Hornady GMX

Battleguy

Banned
Has anybody here used both of these bullets on a whitetail and can give me a good comparison between the two? Which one do you prefer?

WJS23

WKR
I would go with the GMX I use them out of my 7-08 and have had good luck with them. Another o d to look at would be the trophy bonded copper my old man has been using them for the past 3 seasons put if his 30-06and have worked well. My only experience with the barns TTXS was with the 150gr 308 loaded by barns and it did not shoot that well out of my scout rifle but the 150gr TTXS that buffalo boar makes shot lights out so I would suggest if you go with barns get buffalo boar.

ljalberta

WKR
Shoot both out of your rifle. Whichever one groups better I'd use. Both with make a deer equally dead as long as you do your part. Both will have similar expansion and weight retention.

amassi

WKR
Shot many deer and wild pigs with both
The gmx seems to be a softer gilded copper and tends to foul quicker in my rifles. Both shoot very accurately

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jofes

WKR
Ive reloaded the 165 and 168 TSSX. 165 out of a Rem model 7 and 168 out of Rem 700, both 308. I shot two does one morning at around 125 150 yards and both were total pass through with less than 5 yards of travel after impact out of the 165's.
All that being said I just started shooting some 168 Hornady Match and they group slightly better and are 40 FPS faster.

Jkling12

FNG
I shoot TTSX out of most of my rifles. To be honest I have never tried the hornady but have had such good luck with barnes I have no reason to. We shoot ttsx or lrx out of 7 or 8 rifles and have performed perfectly. Never an issue working up a load with them, never an issue with performance. Deer, coyotes,bear from .243 up to .358 cal rifles. By far my favorite hunting bullet.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I shoot the Barnes out of my 7mm Rem Mag with absolutely ZERO complaints.

I've shot a lot of deer with Barnes out of my 308. My dad has too in his as well. Not many deer have taken a step afterwards.

I have shot a few deer with Barnes with higher velocity rounds like 22-250 and 243 and the performance wasn't as great. The deer seemed to go for a death run with little to blood trail.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I am a big Hornady fan and my dad is a Barns fan we both go our bucks he shoots a 243 I shoot 6mm both deer dropped dead in thier tracks. I think both will shoot very well I one reason I like the Hornady over Barns is the make the 22cal 55gr in the GMX.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
This is a Coues I shot last year at approximately 200 yards. 150 grain TTSX @ 3120 FPS in 7mm Mag. Bullet has been great and has been my go to. Accurate and does a great job on game. Best everyone! View attachment 80989

I used them both but out of different guns. I was happy with the GMX's out of my STW, but after a five or so deer with the TTSX's out of my 300 WSM I switched. With the TTSX my exit hole wasn't any larger than entrance. I had 3 good hits I was glad I had snow for tracking. My .01

Big fan on the 139 GMX in my 7-08 have killed with both and just seem to get better expansion with the GMx on PA whitetails

I don’t think it really matters much. I prefer Barnes simply because they seem to group better out of my rifles but both will kill stuff, if you hit it in the right place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy S.

FNG
I didn’t realize the fouling associated with GMX, thanks for that info. Always been a Barnes guy, so no experience with GMX.

I am a Big Hornady fan and use the GMX in my handloads for my 6MM and 22-250 with great results that being said my dad shoot the Barnes X out of 243 and with the same result dead critters. shoot what your gun and you like.