Traveling every year

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone do a guided hunt for whitetails every year or every other? I'm in a whitetail state but lack of land and large pressure drives encounters down so looking to see new states

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Kinda like hunting at home, have some great hunts and some that suck for various reasons. One thing I will say is I have never had as much problem getting away from people on out of state whitetail hunts as I do here at home. I havent done a ton of out of state hunts (4 states) for whitetails but the ones I have done were a lot of fun. But I always enjoy hunting new country.

I can't imagine paying a guide for whitetails. Dive into the The Hunting Public on youtube and the Hunting Beast forum and you will do just fine on your own. I hunt highly pressured land in WV and Ohio and get it done every year on at least one nice buck. It takes work, but also very rewarding when you knock down a buck everyone else is after! :)

WJS23

WKR
There’s nothing wrong with doing a guided hunt. It is nice to do the diy stuff and hunt public. But it’s also nice to just go stay at an outfitters place and not have to deal with cooking or hanging stands and also not having to deal with the public land stuff like waking into a spot that you looked at on ONX only to find a bunch of tree stand from other guys.

OP
W

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
There’s nothing wrong with doing a guided hunt. It is nice to do the diy stuff and hunt public. But it’s also nice to just go stay at an outfitters place and not have to deal with cooking or hanging stands and also not having to deal with the public land stuff like waking into a spot that you looked at on ONX only to find a bunch of tree stand from other guys.
I think a mix of both is perfect

WJS23

WKR
Ya I do a guided hunt every few years and then hunt here in NH or out west on my own the rest of the time

OP
W

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I do a guided hunt every few years and then hunt here in NH or out west on my own the rest of the time
I'm in Delaware and we have a fair share of big deer but I wanna experience new places I figured do few guided learn how midwest guys are doing it then study onx hard for public

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome fellow DE hunter! I live up in the northern part of the state (Newark).

The amount of under utilized public land opportunities in the this state and surrounding states is immense. Between DE, MD, NJ, and PA you can find some new country with big deer. The eastern shore has always been a sleeper for big bucks, and with long archery seasons mixed in with muzzleloader n firearms seasons their are tons of opportunities.

If you are looking for something new, possibly a sika hunt in lower MD. I know a few very reputable outfitters or there is plenty of public ground and low hunter densities except for a few peak weekends.

If you are set on heading west, their is a bunch of public lands in OH, KS, and MS that I have scouted and have had others go out n be successful. In my mind a whitetail hunter with a climber and a few different weapons can take on numerous states and areas each year. I left my private lease just for that reason.

As far as learning what the outfitters do, while for a species that you have never hunted it would be beneficial. But for a whitetail in DE is the same as a whitetail in the midwest, learn to understand deer and deer behavior and save your money for licenses n travel.

OP
W

williamson88

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome fellow DE hunter! I live up in the northern part of the state (Newark).

The amount of under utilized public land opportunities in the this state and surrounding states is immense. Between DE, MD, NJ, and PA you can find some new country with big deer. The eastern shore has always been a sleeper for big bucks, and with long archery seasons mixed in with muzzleloader n firearms seasons their are tons of opportunities.

If you are looking for something new, possibly a sika hunt in lower MD. I know a few very reputable outfitters or there is plenty of public ground and low hunter densities except for a few peak weekends.

If you are set on heading west, their is a bunch of public lands in OH, KS, and MS that I have scouted and have had others go out n be successful. In my mind a whitetail hunter with a climber and a few different weapons can take on numerous states and areas each year. I left my private lease just for that reason.
Yea I've lived and hunted delaware and Maryland public land for over 20 years just want the mid west experience I've hunted out west while in army just enjoy getting away there big deer here but unlike states out west of here

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
OnX and State DNR Biologists / Harvest Reports are your friend. You could hunt 3-5 states in the midwest for a long time DIY before you would equal the cost of an Outfitted hunt. Also look for low application rate tags like late Iowa Muzzleloader, as a Non-Resident you can reasonably draw that tag every 2-3 years if not shorter time. While the rut is the most fun time of year to chase whitetails, more big bucks die pre rut and post rut due to their bellies versus during the rut.

Also in the mid-west, the chances of a securing a private piece of ground by knocking on some doors is a hell of a lot better than around here anymore.

Thank you for your service, and its nice to see another DE guy here on Rokslide!

I guess it just depends on your goals. If you want a legitimate chance at a 150 plus then I would recommend a midwest guided hunt. If your ok with 100 up to 125 and a slim chance at anything larger I would say public in Pa fits the bill