Maryland Sika Deer

Being located on the east coast of Canada I have been looking into hunts that won’t require driving across the country. I have stumbled on to sika deer hunting in Maryland. Just wondering if anyone has any onfo on hunting these deer? Is it possible to DIY or better to go with a outfitters? Thanks for any help.

There are great possibilities to do it yourself either on state public ground Eastern Region WMA's

Or Federal Hunting at Blackwater NWR - Blackwater - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

You will need a tree stand, I use a Lone Wolf Climber most trees in the marsh are pines, make sure it's a live one before you climb it! ,hip waders and a Thermacell..... better bring two Thermacells . The camping is pretty limited but you might get lucky and find an air B&B or a hotel in Cambridge. A lot of people hunt the 2nd and 3rd week in October, archery, but there is a muzzleloader season 3rd week in October... I won't hunt that too many people.

There are outfitters but that's no guarantee, if you time it right they will be bugeling and chasing and it's quite a show, they are little elk and damn fine eating...to bad they are so small .

If you decide to go shoot me a PM

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
I was just listening to an old Meateater podcast on this yesterday and googling it. Sounds interesting. Thanks for posting up the information.

I was just listening to an old Meateater podcast on this yesterday and googling it. Sounds interesting. Thanks for posting up the information.

Yeah when I saw Rinella did that I was like, Oh great ! lol..

I believe there are more of them than the State thinks but something so small living in Phrag that's 10 feet tall makes them difficult to find. I have had them under 5 yards and never saw them, I could hear them chewing and never saw them, that's why they call them The Marsh Ghost's. As a bonus the ones taken on Blackwater don't count towards your Maryland tags since it's federal property. You can kill one Stag, no point restrictions, and two hinds.

This is a really nice size hind , about 65 pounds live weight

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I have successfully hunted sika deer on private and state/public land, and let me tell you it isnt an easy hunt by any stretch of the imagination.

Between the hike/slog in (while not getting lost or going over the tops of your hip/chest waders), finding a decent tree near travel corridors (sometimes its literally one tree on a small island), getting mauled by mosquitoes (they laugh at thermocells, bring two minimum), having a shot opportunity at a very small animal in thick vegetation, blood tracking an animal in a water environment (while blood tracking I literally stepped on my first sika that submerged after it passed, lost blood, came back to the last blood, and my headlamp picked up the eye glint under the water), etc.

When it comes together, their is nothing sweeter than fresh sika meat. But you will earn every bite, and at points it seems like the mosquitoes took more from you than the meat you take from a sika. To give you an idea on size, my first two sika hinds weighed in at 27 and 36 lbs dressed,

I would go with archery tackle if you plan on public ground, the muzzleloader and firearms seasons are madness.

I have heard very good things from hunters that have gone with Whistling Creek Outfitters.

In my opinion, an old mature 6 point Sika Stag is one of the hardest animals to kill in the US.

Last edited:
OP
C
Thanks for all the replies, it sounds like it would be a interesting hunt for sure. Right now I am still trying to decide on the Maryland sika hunt or a aniticosti island whitetail hunt.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah when I saw Rinella did that I was like, Oh great ! lol..

I believe there are more of them than the State thinks but something so small living in Phrag that's 10 feet tall makes them difficult to find. I have had them under 5 yards and never saw them, I could hear them chewing and never saw them, that's why they call them The Marsh Ghost's. As a bonus the ones taken on Blackwater don't count towards your Maryland tags since it's federal property. You can kill one Stag, no point restrictions, and two hinds.

This is a really nice size hind , about 65 pounds live weight

I have successfully hunted sika deer on private and state/public land, and let me tell you it isnt an easy hunt by any stretch of the imagination.

Between the hike/slog in (while not getting lost or going over the tops of your hip/chest waders), finding a decent tree near travel corridors (sometimes its literally one tree on a small island), getting mauled by mosquitoes (they laugh at thermocells, bring two minimum), having a shot opportunity at a very small animal in thick vegetation, blood tracking an animal in a water environment (while blood tracking I literally stepped on my first sika that submerged after it passed, lost blood, came back to the last blood, and my headlamp picked up the eye glint under the water), etc.

When it comes together, their is nothing sweeter than fresh sika meat. But you will earn every bite, and at points it seems like the mosquitoes took more from you than the meat you take from a sika. To give you an idea on size, my first two sika hinds weighed in at 27 and 36 lbs dressed,

I would go with archery tackle if you plan on public ground, the muzzleloader and firearms seasons are madness.

I have heard very good things from hunters that have gone with Whistling Creek Outfitters.

In my opinion, an old mature 6 point Sika Stag is one of the hardest animals to kill in the US.

This just makes me want to go more. 394 miles from my place to Blackwater.

NLaudy

FNG
You can also hunt them on Chincoteague in VA. I shot a beautiful 5pt a few years ago at point blank range with my bow. I was hiding in a bush that was hollowed out on a small well used trail through the brush. He came in bugling and stopped right next to me. I was scared releasing the arrow as I knew the arrow was going to be entering his cavity just as it was coming off the string. It was an ADRENALINE RUSH like no other. I also got a ticket that day as I didn't get out of the park in time due to dragging it through all the muck :(

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
You will earn every Sika that you even lay eyes on, let alone get a shot. The challenge is immense, and made even sweeter by a guaranteed light packout if you are successful. I have taken 2 hinds DIY on MD's Eastern shore, but that land is no longer accessible. Bring your Thermocell, and the earlier advice about bringing 2 of them is wise indeed. I have heard good things about Muddy Marsh Outfitters (muddymarsh.com) from several fellow captains in our marina.