Whitetail tags.

Has anyone heard of Randy Newburg
I've watched see of his YouTube videos, and he said if you apply for a eastern Montana whitetail tag, there almost a 100%draw for out of state hunters. I've been looking at the rule book and it only has the comdo license.bdeer elk, whitch is hard to draw. Am I missing something. Thanks for reading.

slick

WKR
I would assume he is talking about B license, or doe tags. There is not a whitetail deer tag only that I am aware of besides B permits.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Eastern Montana is a big place...most of the best whitetail ground is private/leased. If you think you're going to see deer on public land like Realtree videos you'll be severely disappointed. Last I looked it was about 20% odds of drawing just a deer tag for non-resident. Combo tags are much easier to draw but price north of $1000. I have spent quite a bit of time looking for good areas in eastern Montana for whitetails...it is not a simple thing and when you factor in unpredictable EHD die-offs it is challenging. I would look closely at what you're trying to achieve...score, mature buck or quality hunting experience...and go from there. Mid-west is much better for score. A large part of eastern Montana is muley habitat with no whitetail...there are some areas with both on public ground but even then there aren't big bucks around every corner. You have to be careful what you see on tv or the web...

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info
You probably won't find anything over 140" in Montana. That's about average even on private. My uncles place is in North Central MT and I've seen a couple 150-160" but they are ghosts.

There are a lot of great block management areas with mature deer but like the one place I've been hunting a 120" deer is a shooter.

Yeah we had EHD in 2013. My uncles herd got wiped out. But they are back and last fall we saw a few mature bucks.

The Custer national forest has some big WT if you want to go east. Or maybe some Block along the Milk River.

I wish Randy would just send people to DQ... LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thanks for the info men. Not really looking for a monster, just a great experience. I drive out to Nebraska now, but it's getting pretty crowded. I'd like a little more open spaces if you know what I mean. So if I was looking at MT I would apply for a deer elk combo?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just drive to northern Idaho and buy a WT tag over the counter and hunt some mountain deer. Easier than trying to figure out where to hunt in eastern MT, and plenty of big bucks in that thick timber

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk