Wyo/So Dak, Kansas, Nebraska DIY or semi DIY

Kinda thinking about taking my dad on a big buck hunt. We have our annual hunt on my uncles here in Montana but I'd like to get more time with my dad. He's a disabled vet so he can't mountain hunt with me.

Kinda thinking Wyo because it's so close. Or even Western So Dak or maybe another glory state.

I looked at a couple outfitters just to help my dad out but $3500 for a deer seems crazy. And I don't need a baby sitter to sit in a tree lol.

I see Wyo sells landowner tags. How does this work? Are there any landowners who will let you get one of these then just do a DIY hunt?

I checked On X and a lot of northern Wyo looks private. And I'd guess it's all outfitted.

Kinda hard to go door knock when you're six hours away.

Also can disabled hunters crossbows during bow season?

What about outfitters who would give a discount for a disabled vet? Then I'd tag along for a doe.

Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
I would look into western Nebraska for mule deer. I don’t have many details because I’ve never hunted there myself, just have a few buddy’s who have. Tag price isn’t bad for a non res (probably some kind of a discounted tag if your dads disability rating is above a certain %), if I remember right you may not even need a disabled permit to use a crossbow during archery season (would probably double check that because I am not 100% sure), and there’s enough roads it wouldn’t be a physically taxing hunt. I believe you can do archery OTC, but do not know about their rifle tags.

jmez

WKR
SD you need a disabled permit for crossbow in archery season. Need a Drs note. A lot of public land in Western part of the state. Black Hills is good WT hunting and the prairie is good for mule deer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I'm heading to SW Nebraska in a week. It will be my first time out there. Archery tag is fairly cheap and they do allow crossbows.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
You can get otc state wide rifle tags in Nebraska as a non-res. You can get archery tags in South Dakota as well but rifle is a draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
When you narrow down some areas. Make sure and call the biologist for the area. The area in Neb. ive been too several times was absolutely hammered by EHD. I bet I didn't see a 30% of the deer I used too.

204guy

WKR
WY -landowner tags are not transferable. You would need to purchase land to be eligible for those tags.
-Crossbows are legal for anyone during the archery or any weapons seasons.
-most of the whitetail habit in WY is private land, the public stuff worth hunting isn't going to be easily accessible.
-You might find a landowner that would allow diy through a trespass fee, not sure how you'd track one down though.

Blackhills of SD might be a good option for public land diy, it'll take some points to draw though.

KHNC

WKR
When you narrow down some areas. Make sure and call the biologist for the area. The area in Neb. ive been too several times was absolutely hammered by EHD. I bet I didn't see a 30% of the deer I used too.

Anywhere from Valentine NE west to Crawford got destroyed by EHD a couple of time in last 10 years. Especially so in 2012. Seems like they still have not recovered well at all. WT have always been my target and you only see a fraction of the old numbers. Terrible. I like early season best myself. Rut is during rifle season and the week before rifle just hasnt been that great last few years. I am going to MT for rifle elk next week instead of my usual NE bow hunt in Crawford.