Please Share Your Whitetail Information!

drose

FNG
To all hunters,

Over the past year I have been trying to familiarize myself with hunting whitetails: the biology, the anatomy, the movement, the tactics, the land (food and water and shelter) I don't come from a hunting family at all, so I am starting from ground up, I listen to my coworkers and friends, then try to piece the information together.
I figure with the popularity of this forum/website I could get some reliable and hopefully consistent information.

What are some of the books, websites, individuals, advice that y'all have come across that you trust? List it all please! I'd love to collect this data and hopefully someone else starting out can see the same and use this in the future as a great starting point.
It can range in all topics! the biology, the anatomy, the movement, the tactics, the land (food and water and shelter), the gear, what to pay attention to, what to ignore, etc!

I'm personally going to hunt mainly with my bow, but I wont pass up an opportunity to take a deer with a rifle. I'm also at the point where big mature bucks is not my lone goal, I want to fill that freezer/gain some confidence.

Shout out to anyone living in Central Arkansas and those big woods!:cool:

The Hunting Beast forum. Hands down some
Of the best whitetail hunters and tactics there are. Dive into that forum and you will be miles ahead! The Hunting Public on YouTube is great as well and they show real world tactics on public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hunting Public is a really cool show...take note of how much attention they pay to their wind direction. That's about the most important thing you can do other than staying safe in your treestand.

i'll second the hunting beast forum. lots of good info over there.

do you have a mobile treestand system? if not i would start working on that.

The deer forest blog from Penn State.
There's atleast three GPS collar studies you can watch and years of other studies.

Ray P

FNG
Another vote for hunting beast. Be prepared to spend hours and hours watching podcasts and searching thru forums. I feel like im learning to hunt all over again.

To all hunters,

Over the past year I have been trying to familiarize myself with hunting whitetails: the biology, the anatomy, the movement, the tactics, the land (food and water and shelter) I don't come from a hunting family at all, so I am starting from ground up, I listen to my coworkers and friends, then try to piece the information together.
I figure with the popularity of this forum/website I could get some reliable and hopefully consistent information.

What are some of the books, websites, individuals, advice that y'all have come across that you trust? List it all please! I'd love to collect this data and hopefully someone else starting out can see the same and use this in the future as a great starting point.
It can range in all topics! the biology, the anatomy, the movement, the tactics, the land (food and water and shelter), the gear, what to pay attention to, what to ignore, etc!

I'm personally going to hunt mainly with my bow, but I wont pass up an opportunity to take a deer with a rifle. I'm also at the point where big mature bucks is not my lone goal, I want to fill that freezer/gain some confidence.

Shout out to anyone living in Central Arkansas and those big woods!:cool:

Just moved back to Searcy, AR. Where ya located?

Check out Texasbowhunter.com. TONS of incredible insight.

Thread Search: PRESSURED DEER ARE EASY

Not sure when your rut starts but hunt the down wind side of the bedding areas to catch bucks moving through scent checking for a hot doe. It pays to stay all day that time of year. A lot of bucks are killed between 11-2 pm that time of year. Early and late it's all about FOOD, find food, cover and water and you will find the deer. You can pattern them early, but they can pattern you too . Hunt the moon phases, primary feed times are to be considered and if the wind is wrong stay home or go somewhere else...my .02 cents

Btaylor

WKR
Rut depends on where in the state you are hunting. North half of the state is more in line with the midwest dates and the south part of the state is thanksgivingish through early Dec.

OP
drose

drose

FNG
I see you are In little rocks. where do you plan on hunting?

I'm staying focused on public land, spent the last 3 months getting to know Winona (crazy big woods, rocky bottoms, lots of water, acorn abundant). Any recommendations for public land?

OP
drose

drose

FNG
I do not have a tree stand yet, I've heard back and forth on ground blind vs stand hunting. Leaning towards a fast, safe, and easy tree stand set up since ill be on public.

Love the advise pouring in! Taking notes and diving in! Thank you all!

DrHogfan

FNG
Public land hunter in AR here as well. I second the hunting beast and hunting public.

ethan

WKR
Come November by Gene Wensel is a better k I’ve read probably 10 times. One of the books I re-read every year before season, as well as Buckskin and Bone by Gene Wensel as well. I really think Gene and Barry have forgotten more about white tails than most any person alive will ever know. Any if their books are well worth reading. They have a website called Brothers of the bow

Play the wind right and everything else falls in to place.
Google map where you are planning to hunt to find bedding areas, feeding areas and travel pinch points.
A fast quiet stand is what I’ve had the best luck with on public ground. Mostly use a Lone Woolf hang on and Muddy sticks as I can get up about any tree in a hurry with that combo. Carry a extra strap or 2 to get your sticks on the base of big trees.
A perfect location with less then perfect wind is worthless.

Take careful notes on the details of your hunt so you can accurate track what works and what doesn’t. Every detail matters. Bow hunting is a skill of keen observation and application of knowledge.

Best of luck to you!