Lightweight climbing stick and stand options?

I’m kind of a stand whore and I keep a few on hand. I’ve got both a Lone Wolf Alpha and one of the older lighter Assaults. I also have a Millennium M7 and M60U. The Lone Wolfs go where I’m going to have to hike a long way. The M7 goes to sets that I have prehung brackets at deep in public land. I’ll hang several brackets while scouting and can run in and hang the M7 with ease and it’s super light. The M60U goes anytime when I’m going to be sitting for several hours. 3 or 4 hours is about all I can stand in a LW even with the gel seat I added. For sticks I have 5 API sticks that I modded down to 24” long and replaced the straps with rope mods. I also have an extra set of LW sticks to use. I want a set of Beast sticks but I just can’t justify $80 per stick over how little I have in my API sticks and how well I like them after modding them.
82046be9c61f1af13a330c4dea6479e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I figure I'd throw it out there: I've used the Lone Wolf Alpha Hang On and Lone Wolf Sticks, and the Lone Wolf hand climber, both extensively. Neither come close to being as light, small, and packable as a saddle hunting setup if that's what you're focusing on. I do like having my hang on for longer sits, even if I combine it with my saddle, but it is not as light or compact that way.

SoDaky

WKR
Lotsa LWs with assorted sticks ranging from Millenium 3 steppers at $19 apiece to wayyy too expensive.
Prefer Muddy Pros over any including Beasts.Only one(never again)XOP.
Would add more Wedgelocks and brackets except sadly no longer made.
Mostly use LWs.

SoDaky

WKR
Yes indeed. Called him a few weeks ago and got on some ‘list’ if they start up again. Maybe a list to help sell the business???No idea.

JakeC

FNG
I use a vanish and I have a set of LW sticks and a set of hawk helium sticks. If I'm going in blind I take the LW sticks. I feel like they hang better on crooked/imperfect trees. If I'm going to a spot I've set up before and know the tree is fairly straight i take the hawk sticks. I love having the double steps when possible.

*zap*

WKR
For truly mobile and new spot hang/hunt I like the Cranford rope steps and my XOP silver or the Lone Wolf Alpha hand climber. Late season I tend to stay on the ground more and use just the top of the hand climber for a seat against as large a tree as possible...Ratchet strap the top instead of using the traction belt for a large tree or just the silver a few feet up with one or two rope steps. I have a few double step Cranford rope steps that work well for setting the hang on. Screw ins are legal on public here and really a few of those and a ratchet strap will get the hang on in a large tree a few feet up and give you some good background cover. Cranford T steps start pretty e-z and I made a cheater from pvc pipe that gets them in all the way with little effort. I always use a Cranford T step to start the hole for my three arm bow hanger because they start so easily.

Interesting thread, I really want to get a Chippewa Quest....if anyone has one to sell?

I run an older lone wolf assault, and 4 xop sticks. The only complaint I have would be that it's nearly impossible to hang sticks quietly in their stock configuration. Probably going to stealth strip the sticks, and do the inner tube mod on buckles this off season. Regardless of which stand you choose, go for the upgraded padded back pack straps - stock straps are miserable if you're going farther than a few hundred yards.

ohoopee

WKR
Ive been running a LW hand assault for years. LW sticks and alpha when needed. I bought
a LW ladder several years ago and never used it. Similar to the 3 piece connect
steel ladder but made of aluminum.

thefever

FNG
I'm in love with the Lone Wolf System. I have the Assault 2 and 4 sticks, using stick talons to carry them and set them up. IMO, the Lone Wolf setup isn't always gonna be the cheapest or the absolute lightest, but it is by far the quietest, most solid, and easiest to set up. The system as a whole works fantastic together.

This sounds like the way to go!

- - - Updated - - -

I have the XOP silver series and sticks. The sticks could use some improvements , the new XOP sticks look awesome. Id go with the Muddy Pro sticks next with rope cam lock looks awesome. Cant complain about the XOP Stand either , the one thing that was a game changer with me is the XOP Quick hang bracket. It makes it so much easier to just hang the bracket , then slide the stand in instead of wrestling the 12-14 stand and trying to get a strap around the tree. Highly recommend.

The tree stand wrestle is a real struggle!! ;)

milunchbox

Lil-Rokslider
Out of all the ones I have used to date, my lok on and hawk sticks has been my go to. I have a Lonewolf, millennium micro light, millennium m60 ( the giant aluminum one that's like 8lbs) and hawk aluminum. The big millennium is by far the most comfortable and easiest to set up due to the receiver, but it is wider than my back and gets hung up on stuff all the time. I will never use sticks that are not duel steps so that rules out a lot for me. I have some old lone wolfs but the just collect dust in the basement.

*zap*

WKR
From what I have seen the Chippewa wedge loc hang on is by far the easiest/fastest set up and fairly light, depending on the model. Lone Wolf hand climber is great if you have the right trees. Big Gamer stagger steps are the safest/most solid stick and you can get two feet on the top step.

If you can find a Lone Wolf Alpha Tech they are a good price to weight option, I used one for this last season. Its a little more bulky than a the traditional cast versions of the Lone Wolf though. Also the API sticks at Bass pro are a good bang for the buck option, weight about the same as XOP & LW sticks, but have a double step and a set of three can be found for about $100 or cheaper when they are on sale.

280aiWyHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Had an assortment of climbers over the years and ran into the same problem.last year I wanted to try out the hang ons with sticks so I got a xop stand and stick and it took me a few time to get used to it and still improving on my system but I can say the I do prefer the xop hang on now over any climber I've had. In my case the system is lighter and can be customized better to your wants and needs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

MIedge

FNG
I have a LW assault and like it a lot. But if that is the route you're looking to go, I always suggest going with the XOP vanish or XOP's version of the Alpha to save a good chunk of change. They're essentially the same stands with significantly different price tags.

I also used the Millenium M7 and loved the weight savings as well as the comfortable seat. The downside is that it is not as stable / doesn't cam lock as solid as the LW or XOPs.

I don't have much experience with very many stick options as I have just used LW 32" sticks. This year was the first year I added step aiders as well. I have a Tethrd saddle on the way too, so this year my back will be happy.