Shoulder or Euro Mount?

bignocks

FNG
I found the first couple nice deer I was quick to do a shoulder mount. As I get bigger deer I tend to wish those were shoulder mounted instead. So Id set a standard in your head before season for a shoulder mount. I have a 132, 140, and 150 mounted. but since then Ive shot multiple 130s , a 147 , and a 153. Ive had those euro mounted as Im running out of room and I actually like the euro mounts. Might be different if I had a cabin or a man cave to put them all. But as of now its needs to be a giant for me to shoulder mount it. Like a 160s or a 150in 8 point etc. Long story short your first 1 or 2 is pretty cool to mount be then you will quickly start to put standards on what you will shoulder mount. either way congrats, its a good problem to have.

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses guys I appreciate it!

elkyinzer

WKR
More of a personal preference. I have 3 shoulder mounted whitetails. I don't really find them that appealing any more. I don't have a dedicated trophy room and any more stuffed into my living room won't get wife stamp of approval. Rightfully so, I think it looks dumb having a normal room with 8 ft ceilings stuffed with stuffed animals. Unless I run into a booner or move its Euros from here on out for me.

Another thing I really like about the Euros is being able to pluck them off the wall and handle the rack. Something really satisfying about that you lose in shoulder mounts. Definitely a value in that to me.

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
More of a personal preference. I have 3 shoulder mounted whitetails. I don't really find them that appealing any more. I don't have a dedicated trophy room and any more stuffed into my living room won't get wife stamp of approval. Rightfully so, I think it looks dumb having a normal room with 8 ft ceilings stuffed with stuffed animals. Unless I run into a booner or move its Euros from here on out for me.

Another thing I really like about the Euros is being able to pluck them off the wall and handle the rack. Something really satisfying about that you lose in shoulder mounts. Definitely a value in that to me.

I agree that mounts on a normal 8ft ceiling don’t look nearly as good as they do on a vaulted ceiling. I don’t have a trophy room but when I get the interior of my shop done I’ll finally have a place to put some stuff! I’ve always done euros in the past and like you said they are awesome that you can pic them up, I’ve found myself picking them up numerous times and admiring lol.

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate everyone’s responses! The day before I harvested this buck I found out I’m gonna be a dad. With it being my best deer yet and something I’ll be able to share with my child when he/she gets older I decided I wanted to go with a shoulder mount. I was looking at the cost of a wall pedestal mount and it’s $75 more so now is the time I decide whether I do a wall pedestal or shoulder! This is the reason why I enjoy rockslide so much, it’s a community full of good ppl sharing stories and helping others out!

N2TRKYS

WKR
Congrats on being a future dad. I've got wall pedestal and shoulder mounts hanging beside each other. PM me your number or email address and I'll send you some pics if it'll help.

I appreciate everyone’s responses! The day before I harvested this buck I found out I’m gonna be a dad. With it being my best deer yet and something I’ll be able to share with my child when he/she gets older I decided I wanted to go with a shoulder mount. I was looking at the cost of a wall pedestal mount and it’s $75 more so now is the time I decide whether I do a wall pedestal or shoulder! This is the reason why I enjoy rockslide so much, it’s a community full of good ppl sharing stories and helping others out!
You made the right choice.

I'm short on space so everything gets euro. Unless I ever kill a booner

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
You made the right choice.

I'm short on space so everything gets euro. Unless I ever kill a booner

After this guy I don’t plan to do any more shoulder mounts unless it’s a 140+. This guy rough scored at 138” but I think I’m going to do the wall pedestal, I really like the way they look, I don’t plan on doing any habitat on the back, just plan to do leather! I’ll definitely post pics when it’s done.

Shrek

WKR
Euro every time.

Edit to add: I have a few shoulders. When I was young I wanted them and they were cheap back in the day. Now, after more kills, more moves, the cost and looking at my euros, I will never do another shoulder. Ever.

So, by all means do what makes you happy.

I’m in agreement with this. I was holding my elk head yesterday evening in fact. He actually sits on my coffee table all the time ! There’s a bunch of good enough to shoot deer heads laying around the house and a couple that mean something euroed on my bedroom wall. Sometimes I think I should take them off the mounts and set them around to be held also. Obviously I’m divorced :)

mcseal2

WKR
I'd say you made the right choice for yourself at this time, Congrats on the buck and becoming a Dad!

I have been pretty lucky in my deer hunting. I have 7 bucks shoulder mounted I've shot over the last 18 years. Four of the whitetail and one muley gross over 180". I don't have a big house or high ceilings so that's pretty much putting one everywhere possible in the living room. My house doesn't have room for anything bigger than a deer to be mounted in it.

Everything now gets euro mounted and put in the ranch shop unless it's really unique or huge. I personally think the Euro mounts with the high ceiling in the shop look great. I have a couple elk, a moose, and several deer in there. It's also nice to look up when working on a project in there in nasty weather and remember some of my best days.

On a side note I bought a cutting board on Amazon in the shape of the state of Idaho. It was only 22 bucks or so and made my euro mount look sharp with the state silhouette behind it. I would post a pic but have no idea how.

https://www.amazon.com/Totally-Bamb...cutting+board&qid=1554083511&s=gateway&sr=8-1

If it was a real nice buck or had some memorable experience behind it I would do a shoulder mount. But I hunt primarily to fill the freezer not my walls.