Idaho Whitetail

maverick2

FNG
Thank you for the reply, looking forward to getting back out. Was wondering what the rutting activity is like right now and what the snow level is ? Thanks again

Regarding the rut, I think it's largely over now in the area you're talking (or we're at the very tail end.) I hunt just north of the Clearwater in the Potlatch River drainage and up around Plummer, and deer in both areas started rutting within a day of Thanksgiving and then things quieted back down over the weekend. I saw very little advance notice on the rut this year, and almost no rubs. Seems like the deer were all normal on Wednesday, completely nuts on Thur, Fri, and Sat, and then back to normal on Sunday. (Reminded me a lot of the college bar scene on a 3-day weekend...)

If still interested in a whitetail in the remaining time available, I'd recommend you move westward a little and focus on the grain, garb, and hay fields at the edges of timber. Find a good spot that commands a great field of view of the field edges, be in that spot 30 minutes before shooting light and an hour before it gets dark. There's a lot of deer movement right now at dusk and dawn.

OP
Z

Zbowman1

WKR
Regarding the rut, I think it's largely over now in the area you're talking (or we're at the very tail end.) I hunt just north of the Clearwater in the Potlatch River drainage and up around Plummer, and deer in both areas started rutting within a day of Thanksgiving and then things quieted back down over the weekend. I saw very little advance notice on the rut this year, and almost no rubs. Seems like the deer were all normal on Wednesday, completely nuts on Thur, Fri, and Sat, and then back to normal on Sunday. (Reminded me a lot of the college bar scene on a 3-day weekend...)

If still interested in a whitetail in the remaining time available, I'd recommend you move westward a little and focus on the grain, garb, and hay fields at the edges of timber. Find a good spot that commands a great field of view of the field edges, be in that spot 30 minutes before shooting light and an hour before it gets dark. There's a lot of deer movement right now at dusk and dawn.

This is great advice and I saw a very similar thing with the rut this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maverick2

FNG
This is great advice and I saw a very similar thing with the rut this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful buck by the way -- congrats! Did you find him in the Elk River // Bovill areas? Whitetails around here with that kind of mass are few and far between -- I've seen a couple but never had a shot at any of them.