Kimber Adirondack

Looking for a deer rifle to hunt within 400-500 yards. I’ve thought about buying a kimber Adirondack in 7mm08 or .308 but I’m worried about the 18” barrel and the loss of velocity. Should I consider buying a mountain ascent possibly in 300 wsm? Any thoughts on this would be great

Loss in velocity is minimal on the 308. Like 60-80fps total vs a 22" tube. Certainly not enough to make me consider jumping up to a 300wsm in essentially the same gun. Adirondack and mtn ascent both are exceptionally fine rifles for the cost

OP
B
Loss in velocity is minimal on the 308. Like 60-80fps total vs a 22" tube. Certainly not enough to make me consider jumping up to a 300wsm in essentially the same gun. Adirondack and mtn ascent both are exceptionally fine rifles for the cost

What are your thoughts on a 7mm08 for hunting deer within 500yards?

Brendan

WKR
Love my Adirondack 308. Taking it out this weekend looking for a late season whitetail.

If you search my started threads, I posted chrono and accuracy results from mine a couple years back.

OP
B

Love my Adirondack 308. Taking it out this weekend looking for a late season whitetail.

If you search my started threads, I posted chrono and accuracy results from mine a couple years back.

I’ve read your forum and it’s by far the best out there on this rifle. Have you played around at all at longer distances with it?

Brendan

WKR
I personally have not, although my ballistic reticle I think gives me a holdover out to 500 'ish.

You could take my bullet (accubond 165) and velocity(2600 fps I think?), plug into a ballistic calculator to see what speeds and drops you're getting at your intended range.

It is a very light rifle though, I have scoped myself not being careful about good shoulder pressure.

Stid2677

WKR
I have taken sheep and a Grizzly with my Adirondack in 6.5cm. The long kill was 465, but I ring steel out to 600 often.

Here is my Adirondack next to my MA,,love packing shorty.

Kimbers_zpslrxjogxq.jpg

EHCfSjfh.jpg

OP
B
I have taken sheep and a Grizzly with my Adirondack in 6.5cm. The long kill was 465, but I ring steel out to 600 often.

Here is my Adirondack next to my MA,,love packing shorty.

Kimbers_zpslrxjogxq.jpg

EHCfSjfh.jpg

Beautiful rifle, how’s the accuracy with yours? I’ve heard quite a few comments complimenting the accuracy of the Adirondack.

Is there an off-the-shelf ammo suitable to take a 7mm-08 to 500 yards on whitetail? I've always wanted one, because I think I'd enjoy shooting it a whole lot more than say a 7mm mag but never pulled the trigger.

Is there an off-the-shelf ammo suitable to take a 7mm-08 to 500 yards on whitetail? I've always wanted one, because I think I'd enjoy shooting it a whole lot more than say a 7mm mag but never pulled the trigger.

I shoot the Hornady Superformance from my 7mm08 and I have no doubts it would perform at 500. I leveled a big doe at 400 last year with it and she never took a step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are your thoughts on a 7mm08 for hunting deer within 500yards?

You're splitting hairs between probably the 2 best deer cartridges I could dream up. If anything bigger is ever potentially on the table go 308. If its dedicated deer gun you might like the little bit flatter .284 vs .30?

I've not heard or witnessed accuracy issues in the Adirondack line. Seems like kimbers issues are a thing of the past and wouldn't hesitate to buy one (own a few myself). They take some getting used to and will accentuate bad form but all 5he recent models ice been around have been shooters

Whitecaps

Lil-Rokslider
backcountry_hunter , can you give me an opinion on how the 30-06 kimber MAscent fits into the mix with the other two rifles mentioned. Thanks for you opinion.

Stid2677

WKR
Beautiful rifle, how’s the accuracy with yours? I’ve heard quite a few comments complimenting the accuracy of the Adirondack.

Sorry for the late reply was traveling,, my Adirondack is moa or better. Not one ragged hole accurate, but plenty accurate to get it done.

backcountry_hunter , can you give me an opinion on how the 30-06 kimber MAscent fits into the mix with the other two rifles mentioned. Thanks for you opinion.

If everything kimber says is true... the 06' mtn ascent is twisted a little better. Otherwise their so similar it's really a matter of preference. I prefer the shorter tube but others likely don't.

rbljack

WKR
Oh..these decisions. I keep looking at both of these kimber models for my wife (and me as well) for mtn hunting deer and elk. I keep coming back to the 7mm-08 or 308.

Josh213

FNG
I've always wanted a Kimber Adirondack being the "Adirondacks" are where I hunt mainly....For the type of hunting I do I was thinking about the 6.5 creedmoor caliber....my farthest shots are a 100yds max....most of the time its 50yds or less in the woods....I think they are made in the USA as well!

Gutshotem

WKR
I've always wanted a Kimber Adirondack being the "Adirondacks" are where I hunt mainly....For the type of hunting I do I was thinking about the 6.5 creedmoor caliber....my farthest shots are a 100yds max....most of the time its 50yds or less in the woods....I think they are made in the USA as well!

If your max range is 100yds you'd be better off with a .308