Nebraska hunting

Hello everyone,

I just find out that I got orders to Offutt AFB, Nebraska and was hoping to get some insight into what I'll have available. I started hunting last year and have only hunted white tail but I'm open to other types of game. I'm also curious what kind of terrain you have to deal with.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Pocketsand89 welcome to the cornhusker state! I'm from West Central Nebraska but I'll try to fill you in a bit while you wait for a rokslider from the Eastern end of the state.

Eastern Nebraska is mainly corn and bean fields with occasional creekbottoms. Omaha sits along the Missouri River and has some available public land but I'm sure it sees pressure.

White tails will be the only deer in the area but you will also have good waterfowl populations in the area I'd you want to Branch out.

The terrain is flat to rolling hills and predominately crop ground. As you head west you will find more pasture and if you get out of the Platte valley more hills. If you are interested in tagging a mule deer the state has good populations in the western end and in the Sandhills to the North Central part of the state.

P.M. me I'd you need some more details about Central or western Nebraska and hopefully someone will help you more with the east! Enjoy your time and thank you for your service!

String&stick pretty much nailed it. Lots of whitetail and turkeys on this end of the state. Not a ton of public access, so there is a lot of pressure on whats available, but that's not to say you won't be able to shoot deer, quail, pheasants, and turkey, just might have to work a little harder to find them. It's not easy to get permission on good private ground (without paying money) for deer, but it can be done. It is broken up into small parcels for the most part, so you are lucky to get permission on one 20-80 acre place here and there. If you want to hunt deer, in my opinion it is easier to get permission to bow hunt/muzzle loader hunt vs. rifle hunt. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have!

Link below shows nebraska public access and what hunting is allowed.
Public Access ATLAS

Put in for the Gifford WMA lottery. It'll be the best public whitetail hunting option within 2+hrs. Approx. 10 min away from Offutt. I hunt it hard every year. Lottery deadline is around late July.

OP
P
Sorry I've been silent for a while, but I've been back and forth with the Air Force since I posted this thread. I appreciate all the input from everyone but apparently my assignment manager made a mistake and it looks like I'll be staying in Oklahoma for a few more years. Thanks again for the support though i really like that the forums are such a helpful resource and community.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk