Training for Bowhunting

Puma

FNG
hey guys curious if any of you have a set schedule that you practice with? something set in stone, like 5 arrows from xyz yards per day or the like.

KMT

WKR
I don't. Every year year for the last 17 years, I have planned to shoot diligently starting in May. But, typically I start shooting a couple of weeks before season starts. My son shoots the weekend before season starts. And believe it or not, he can outshoot 90% of the people on the range.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The shooting aspect of bowhunting isn't an issue for me. I could take several years off and have no problem picking up the bow and heading out. But I do practice my range estimation a lot with 3D shooting or just time in the woods. That's the part that comes in handy as I rarely ever have time to range......it generally happens fast, and I don't want to be fumbling around with the RF when I should already be at full draw and shooting.

Trial153

WKR
I no longer shoot till my arm falls off...mostly i shoot when I feel in the mood. Probably amounts to about 4-5 times a month lately. I been bowhunting since 1989 and started shooting bows a few years before that So at this point things are ingrained in me.
I do play with bows and tuning a lot ...so it would be a rare week that I am not at my bench tweaking something ...I guess I shoot a little more then I give myself credit for.

Last edited:

Vandal 44

WKR
I will shoot about 5 to 10 arrows in my basement while have a cup of coffee in the morning that's when I home and not traveling for work. I will start shooting out side in the next week or so. I have a few 3-D target that are set up at the house, I can shoot out to 80 yards

You are only as good as your first arrow so whatever your routine, I suggest we all put more focus on the first shot, not the shits after being warm or dialed in. Focus on your first shot improving over time, not your 50th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hunt with a longbow and I love to shoot, and my boys like to shoot so we shoot a fair bit. Actually it slows down during the season but I still manage to shoot a couple of times a week even if it's bale work in the basement for 5-10 shots. I normally shoot a leaf or stump from my stand before I climb down if I am whitetail hunting. As it warms up the shooting picks up, the Baltimore Bowmen's shoot every May has me up against some great shooters so I can't be looking for arrows !

standard_lengthy

Lil-Rokslider
3D leagues keep me in shape and quality target practice. It's better to practice for 20 perfect shots than 100 decent ones.

Sent from Droid NeuroImplant