Defiant 34 too slow???

Gumbo

WKR
So I bought a 2017 Carbon Defiant 34 knowing it was relatively slow. I shoot it at 28 inches and maxed out with 65 pound limbs, which draws about 67 pounds. With my 455 grain arrows, arrow velocity calculators say I'm at about 258 fps. Even with 70 pound limbs pulling 72 pounds I'd be at about 266. Or at least that is what the calculators say. I don't care about speed other than creating momentum, and I want to shoot expandables for elk (feel free to judge). I am tempted to jump up to the turbo, which would get me to 280 with those arrows at 67 pounds, but I like the extra brace and the valley on the turbo is short. Plus I am concerned I won't shoot it well enough, although I was able to shoot a BTX pretty well which was 6.25 in brace. Also, I really need a little over 28 inches, like 28.5, which is what mine is drawing set at 28 with the grip removed. If I go turbo then I have to choose to either hope to get 28.5 out of the #2 cam maxed out or go with the #3 cam in the bottom or second bottom setting.

What do other folks do at these velocities (255), in terms of broadheads, considering 60 yard max shots at elk and 455 grain arrows. For what it is worth, momentum of 415 grain arrows is slightly lower. Can a guy get 28.5 out of the #2 cam considering the grip is taken off and you use sideplates?

Thanks for the input!

kodiakfly

WKR
My personal opinion? You're overthinking it, making some assumptions based on calculators and there's too many variables to worry about. If you've got the cash for the Trubo, go for it. Or maybe find a used one and try it. I guess to sum it up, I've known many, many guys buy a new bow expecting certain numbers or performance and then it's not what they expected. Not bad, but not worth going through it all. But like I say, if you've got the cash, go for it. I shoot a Turbo and I'm really pleased with the performance.

elkguide

WKR
I shot my first elk with a 1982 Martin Dynabo @ a screamingly fast 220 fps with a 340 grain arrow. After the shot he took off but stopped to bugle back to the cow call before falling over just 75 yards down the hill.

As has been said, you're probably overthinking it. Now, being old school, I'm going to recommend that you get closer than 60 yards and that you use a fixed blade head on a big, tough animal like and elk but once again, it's great to live in a free country where we can all have opinions and freely share them.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
Ill take forgiveness over speed any day. I went a few years with always having turbos and others and you couldn't pay me to shoot one anymore.

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
I shot my first elk with a 1982 Martin Dynabo @ a screamingly fast 220 fps with a 340 grain arrow. After the shot he took off but stopped to bugle back to the cow call before falling over just 75 yards down the hill.

As has been said, you're probably overthinking it. Now, being old school, I'm going to recommend that you get closer than 60 yards and that you use a fixed blade head on a big, tough animal like and elk but once again, it's great to live in a free country where we can all have opinions and freely share them.

Yeah, I know what you are saying as far as range and broadheads go. I would MUCH prefer to shoot a fixed, but I have had much better luck with the flight of mechanicals, and they have done the trick on elk so far for me, out to 53 yards, which is my longest shot I've taken at an elk. As for range, well I practice A LOT and am very comfortable in the right situation at 60, but it has to be perfect.

Thanks for the reply!

I am pretty new to archery. Bought a 2015 spyder turbo and used it for 2 seasons. Not sure I need a new bow yet but when I do it won't be another turbo. The extra few FPs comes at the price of a jumpier bow that some people (me) have found tougher to time and tune.

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
I am pretty new to archery. Bought a 2015 spyder turbo and used it for 2 seasons. Not sure I need a new bow yet but when I do it won't be another turbo. The extra few FPs comes at the price of a jumpier bow that some people (me) have found tougher to time and tune.

You all are convincing me I made the right move!

elkguide

WKR
If you are having issues shooting a fixed blade, you need to find a different bow tuner.

A correctly tuned bow will shoot fixed blade heads just fine.

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
If you are having issues shooting a fixed blade, you need to find a different bow tuner.

A correctly tuned bow will shoot fixed blade heads just fine.

Amen...I am said bow tuner. In all honesty I haven't given broadhead tuning much of a go since I started tuning a couple years ago. I had my bow last year shooting great w/ field tips, and broadheads (shuttle t) were about 5 inches off at 60. Rather than start messing around with my rest I tried hypodermics (I had been shooting Rages for a few years with good luck) and they hit pretty much spot on with my field tips. I am going to probably play with broadhead tuning a bit this year, I'll try the Shuttles again and maybe some Slicks, maybe G5s. I would MUCH rather shoot fixed, especially at longer ranges with 67 pound draw.

Imo, that's a sweet bow . If you like it and shoot it well your dialed. Your KE should be within recommended parameters for big game no problem if that's a concern.

kodiakfly

WKR

I was a bit alarmed when my Turbo got here and I felt it's jumpiness. I've never had tuning issues, but the jumpiness thing kept me on my toes and I didn't want to even have that in my head hunting. I shortened my draw maybe 1/4" Same anchor point and all of that, but just that frog hair less extension keeps me on the stops and the jumpiness for me is entirely a thing of the past.

I know I am...it is a serious problem. And I knew the speed of the 34 going into the purchase...but second guessing is something I'm good at.

And there's nothing wrong with that. I did the exact same thing with my Carbon Element. It just didn't shoot right for me (I've messed with it and it shoots better now) and it wasn't as fast as I'd have liked. Then the CSTZT came out and I got one for the speed and slightly longer ATA. Well it was faster by about 30 fps, shoots better and I'm glad I did it. But those are two different bows entirely. Say I had a Defiant 34 and was thinking of a Defiant Turbo...my advice to you stands. Go for it if you like; I like shooting the Turbos. But between assumptions and variables, you may get there and it not be what you thought.

Make sure you shoot the turbo first. I went the opposite way and love my 34 although it shoots a little flatter than yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Defiant 34 at 65lbs and had the same "Oh jeesh, that is slow" moment, my previous bow drive my 517gr arrows at 290... the Def34 slugs them out at 255.... I played around and got a 415gr to go 280. (I'm a 30" draw) 415 at 280 should work for everything I hunt out to 60yds. That being said, the Defiant 34 is MUCH, MUCH more forgiving and easier to shoot then my previous bow. I'd rather be a bit slower and more accurate than fast and loose. :)

Sent from handheld device with tiny keyboard.

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
To be honest, I would rather shoot the Defiant 34 with 80lb limbs than a turbo with 70lb limbs.

If my shoulder and forearm could handle 80 I would do that in a second. Getting old blows.

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure you shoot the turbo first. I went the opposite way and love my 34 although it shoots a little flatter than yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, I was nearly dead set on getting a turbo when I got my carbon spider 34 a couple years ago, but found the turbo cam to be downright unpleasant because of the jumpy-ness others have mentioned. That said a lot of guys don't seem at all bothered by it. For what it's worth I think you made the right call.

Brendan

WKR
I think Kodiakfly is probably onto something with the draw length. I shot the turbo all last year, and it does want to take off on you, but I think I was a little stretched out some as I'd catch myself leaning back some if I didn't pay attention... I am getting ready to re-string mine, play with the draw stops some, and shorten up the draw length a little before I make the call. Finally have my press and draw board set up again after having to make the switch to something "Hoyt Approved"

Have two other bows I need to sell if anyones looking - these Hoyts are damn expensive!