Hoyt Nitrum 34 - Cam Upsize or Sell?

Hello everyone -

First time posting here. I recently made an extremely amateur mistake...I purchased a used bow off marketplace without fully realizing it had the wrong size cams until the deal was complete and apparently too late for a return/buy back. Hard to find excuses when I was looking up all kinds of reviews on the bow, but failed to just take a look at the tune chart to see there were three cam sizes, with mods, for various draw lengths. The dead give away for me should've been when I asked the dad who was selling it what draw length his son was, and their response was "I don't know, but he is 6'1"." Regardless, it is primarily on me and I don't hold any ill will towards the seller. So now here I am, asking for some input. The bow is a Hoyt Nitrum 34, with Z5 #2 cams and 2D mods for a 28.5" draw length. I have a 30.5" draw length, so in order to fit the bow to me I would need #3 cams and the RK3D mods, as well as new strings. Would I be wasting my time and money by trying to track down these different mods and purchasing new strings if I find them? Or should I just resell the bow and look for another that is actually already setup in my draw length?

Thanks in advance for any input!

fatlander

WKR
You’ll also need a new set of limbs if you want to get the poundage out of them that they’re currently getting.

I’d sell the bow. It’s not worth what you’re going to have to dump into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said, you probably need limbs too depending on what poundage you actually wanted.

New strings/cables are a cost you should figure on any used bow.

You might be able to find a used set of cams, and a set of limbs, but probably looking $100 per at a minimum.

So you are at least $200, more likely $250-300 plus a set of strings/cables.

Depends on how much $ you are currently into it.

nphunter

WKR
You would be better off getting a different bow. Even if you find a smoking deal on cams, you are going to be another $130 on strings and then shop time to make the swap. Shop labor is going to be at least $50hr probably more to swap the cams and limbs for you, you will also be $25-$50 into the correct mods for the new cams for your draw length. I'd say all said and done you will be at least $300 to pay someone to do a cam swap.

OP
T
Thanks for the input.

nphunter, I did receive a PM from you. I'll check it out and get back to you later.

sarelox

FNG
Hello everyone -

First time posting here. I recently made an extremely amateur mistake...I purchased a used bow off marketplace without fully realizing it had the wrong size cams until the deal was complete and apparently too late for a return/buy back. Hard to find excuses when I was looking up all kinds of reviews on the bow, but failed to just take a look at the tune chart to see there were three cam sizes, with mods, for various draw lengths. The dead give away for me should've been when I asked the dad who was selling it what draw length his son was, and their response was "I don't know, but he is 6'1"." Regardless, it is primarily on me and I don't hold any ill will towards the seller. So now here I am, asking for some input. The bow is a Hoyt Nitrum 34, with Z5 #2 cams and 2D mods for a 28.5" draw length. I have a 30.5" draw length, so in order to fit the bow to me I would need #3 cams and the RK3D mods, as well as new strings. Would I be wasting my time and money by trying to track down these different mods and purchasing new strings if I find them? Or should I just resell the bow and look for another that is actually already setup in my draw length?

Thanks in advance for any input!
I'm thinking we could help each other out. I'm in Arizona and I've just done the same thing as you...purchased a bow that was the wrong size. My Hoyt Nitrum 34 has the #3 cams and is set for a 30" draw. Maybe we could exchange cams and limbs? PM me if you're interested.

OP
T
Dang! I ended up selling it already to a guy who commented on one of my threads. Wish I would've held out a bit longer.