Who shoots 125gr BY?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Even if higher FOC only gives me a couple more inches of penetration, those inches might make the difference.

Yes, but where do you draw the line? 100 extra grains of arrow weight may give you a couple more inches, even without the FOC. A streamlined COC BH might give you a couple extra inches, all else being equal. Now, if you can put all that together with even a fair amount of FOC, you'll have a decent penetrating arrow. Everything is a trade-off with archery.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When deciding whether to use a 125 grain head or a 100 grain head with 25 grains more insert weight, you need to consider the broadhead design and what changed to go from 100 to 125 grains. There may be a significant strength improvement with the 125 grain version (e.g. if the ferrule material was changed from aluminum to steel or if the blade thickness was increased). If the ferrule stayed the same and the blade(s) got longer and wider, then there is the trade-off between hole size vs. penetration & long range flight to consider.

GotDraw?

WKR
For the Original Poster-

Gear selection is like making pizza, do your research then make your decisions. Whether your decisions are based on physics, observed results or whatever, you pick the toppings you like and in the end you'll have a pizza. Your pizza may well be very different than everyone else's, but hey, you're the only one who has to eat it.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
My arrow included a 150gr Woodsman Elite BH with an arrow weight of 777grs (Dangerous Game FMJ 250s) to take this bison down.

cooperjd

WKR
When deciding whether to use a 125 grain head or a 100 grain head with 25 grains more insert weight, you need to consider the broadhead design and what changed to go from 100 to 125 grains. There may be a significant strength improvement with the 125 grain version (e.g. if the ferrule material was changed from aluminum to steel or if the blade thickness was increased). If the ferrule stayed the same and the blade(s) got longer and wider, then there is the trade-off between hole size vs. penetration & long range flight to consider.

i think that point is very important to consider. if you want more options, get a heavier insert and shoot 100gr heads. but there are enough 125+ options out there that you should be able to find a good bh.

i'll be taking iron will heads with me this year, shot the 125gr helix before that.