Starting TAC shooting this 2024 year...tips and advice!

Marble

WKR
I also like to carry my arrows in a quiver during shoots. Less weight on my bow and all my tools are accessible.

Make sure to go shoot the 3rd axis in after adjusting.

pHill30

FNG
Regarding your predicament not having a place to shoot past 50, one thing you could look into is getting a trophy ridge sight that has REACT technology. Sight in your 20 yard mark and then your 40 or 50 yard mark and if you did it precisely enough, you will then be automatically dialed in from 20-100. I have a trophy ridge react 1 pro. I love it. I change arrow setups often just for fun and it only takes a handful of shots to be dialed in out to 100 each time I switch arrows.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Bring arrows and have fun. Not all of the courses are long range. The technical courses were pretty short range in Oklahoma last year(most less than 60 but any more obstructions)
If your sight doesn’t go to the distance of the target , move up.
Also…….. if you’re searching for an arrow after missing a target, have someone stand next to the target. I can’t tell you how many times last year we saw a group walk off and someone in our group was at full draw just to see someone coming around a tree. Your arrow isn’t worth your life .

PA HUNTR

FNG
A few things I like to take along that I didn’t see mentioned here yet would include arrow lube, d-loop material, a lighter, needle nose or d-loop pliers, a good sharp knife or utility knife in case of d-loop issues, allen wrench set, sun screen, and a light rain jacket.

As far as arrows you’re on the right track with the rip xv’s. I run a low profile vane so I have more room with my sight for the longer shots over 100 yards.

Didn’t read every reply but one thing I forgot and the bike shop at the ski resort didn’t carry; sun block. By the third day I was so roasted it hurt. Wasn’t that hot (highs in the upper 70’s) but the elevation didn’t help matters. Finally broke down and bought a hat on day 2 (typically not a hat wearer) and it helped some but definitely felt it on my forehead.

Level your sight, check third axis multiple times, true your tape as far as you can. Learn to shoot with consistent pressure on uneven ground with footing close, far, and angled.

Zac

WKR
Your going to need a new tape when you get there, so just show up early enough to shoot it in if you even care about that. I usually don't and just have to aim off a bit. Usually lower unless you live at some crazy elevation.

Another hot tip; If you range a target at oh, I don’t know, let’s say 27 yards and you adjust your three pin slider sight to shoot your 20 yard pin dead on at 27 yards because why would you bother to gap shoot, don’t use your 40 yard “floating” pin for that shot. Especially if you literally say out loud to the friend you’re shooting with “don’t let me forget to use my 20 yard pin on this one.”

Oh, and behind the target as a back stop is not much besides open air.

Just a random suggestion. Not sure where it came from.

I'm excited to give TAC a try this year too. I'm planning on heading out to Utah - wish there was one closer to me, but it'll do.

I just bought my first bow since I was a kid. Things have certainly changed in the last 30 years. Jumped right in now, and have 3 bows, and have been building multiple sets of arrows. I got a couple dozed RIP XVs for a great price, so I'm testing them out with glue-in points and various vane configurations, and plan on shooting those in my Mach 34.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I'm excited to give TAC a try this year too. I'm planning on heading out to Utah - wish there was one closer to me, but it'll do.

I just bought my first bow since I was a kid. Things have certainly changed in the last 30 years. Jumped right in now, and have 3 bows, and have been building multiple sets of arrows. I got a couple dozed RIP XVs for a great price, so I'm testing them out with glue-in points and various vane configurations, and plan on shooting those in my Mach 34.
Reps matter more than gear. You’re going to see a lot of dudes at TAC shooting “old” bows (+5 years) and “boring” arrows (over the counter). But those are the dudes to fear. Bc they don’t tinker. They just shoot. A lot.

PMcGee

WKR
I shot 7 Springs the first few years. It’s a good time just got to over crowed for my liking. If you don’t get an early start time you’re pretty much only shooting one course. The first year the lift operator let us go up after the cutoff and we had the whole course to ourselves just didn’t have a ride back. Definitely bring a small pack for snacks and a little bow repair kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro