Painful lessons

It only takes 2 seconds.
You lay your bow against the house and begin the short walk 40yds to pull the first three arrows from your target. You've tried to not be a controlling dickhead like you used to be, always telling people to leave your shit alone, don't touch this, don't touch that... I mean, there's not really a way to not be offensive to older people because when you explain a basic thing like why you shouldn't draw a compound back without an arrow, or what exactly can happen when you dry fire a bow, people get offended... "I'm not stupid" "Ive shot a bow before". Whatever it is they might say, they label you as an ass hole or a know it all or someone that's just being a dick that won't let you touch their stuff.

But I guess that's better than having to hear them say "that's never happened to me before"
fb8245555ba6b67bdc39dbb86a6903dc.jpg
e029f39c3fe59ca65f3b1903bef925c0.jpg
802e5edd802900ae7c5a092b1679f6b1.jpg

Thanks asshole....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So........you're shooting at YOUR house I assume and someone is touching your bow? Why is anyone touching your bow? My kids aren't even allowed out of the house when I'm shooting, unless they're standing next to me the entire time.

At least that looks easily fixable. I'm replacing my PSE Freak limbs tonight, if they come in today. One splintered on me. Great timing a week before the season, and the bow was shooting absolutely lights out. Starting from scratch tomorrow........hopefully.

Trial153

WKR
nothing that can't be fixed. live and learn

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Some things are worth being an asshole about. Many, many people overestimate their personal skill and knowledge.

Lucky there wasn't an injury associated with the event.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to see your bow damaged, I hope you get it sorted out quickly .

Talking about coming off as an asshole, I remember when I was away with a few mates (some from nearby and some from interstate ) who try to get together once a year. I generally trust these guys as they are mostly guys with ffamilies and who know the importance of safety.

however there was a young guy who tagged along one year who I wasn't familiar with and one night he comes into camp from a hunt with his rifle bolt closed.

Well I immediately got up off my seat and told him to open it up as I wanted to see the empty chamber. Generally all of the guys would approach camp with the bolt open, it was just considered a common courtesy to assure everyone that it was clear and unable to fire.

Well didn't he start carrying on like a total dick, started telling me all about how knowledgeable he is with guns and so forth, but still not forthcoming with opening the bolt to show me.

It wasn't until one of my other mates got up and told him in no uncertain terms that if the bolt wasn't open for inspection within the next 5 seconds then this bloke was going to be spending some extended time unconscious that he finally opened the bolt and shoved the rifle at us to look at, and once satisfied that it was empty I nodded and he put it away.

He was pretty surly for the rest of the trip and he wasn't invited back again, but there's a few times when the rules have to go ahead of people's feelings, and gun safety in camp is certainly one of those times.

Sorry to see your bow damaged, I hope you get it sorted out quickly .

Talking about coming off as an asshole, I remember when I was away with a few mates (some from nearby and some from interstate ) who try to get together once a year. I generally trust these guys as they are mostly guys with ffamilies and who know the importance of safety.

however there was a young guy who tagged along one year who I wasn't familiar with and one night he comes into camp from a hunt with his rifle bolt closed.

Well I immediately got up off my seat and told him to open it up as I wanted to see the empty chamber. Generally all of the guys would approach camp with the bolt open, it was just considered a common courtesy to assure everyone that it was clear and unable to fire.

Well didn't he start carrying on like a total dick, started telling me all about how knowledgeable he is with guns and so forth, but still not forthcoming with opening the bolt to show me.

It wasn't until one of my other mates got up and told him in no uncertain terms that if the bolt wasn't open for inspection within the next 5 seconds then this bloke was going to be spending some extended time unconscious that he finally opened the bolt and shoved the rifle at us to look at, and once satisfied that it was empty I nodded and he put it away.

He was pretty surly for the rest of the trip and he wasn't invited back again, but there's a few times when the rules have to go ahead of people's feelings, and gun safety in camp is certainly one of those times.

Interesting how safety standards vary geographically. I've never hunted with someone who was adamant about bolts being open. Safety on, Constant muzzle direction control, and unloading during breaks (depending on predator presence) is a given.

Savage99

WKR
Interesting how safety standards vary geographically. I've never hunted with someone who was adamant about bolts being open. Safety on, Constant muzzle direction control, and unloading during breaks (depending on predator presence) is a given.

It certainly can vary. When my hunting mentor took me in back east, most of my questions centered around his and his brother's standards. Mostly etiquette and "situational football".

It sounds like that young fellow was probably made aware of the bolt thing and either thought he was above it or forgot and had too much ego to back down.

Interesting topic. I find these kind of topics helpful to the newer hunter (me) who wasn't raised up in a hunt camp.

Gumbo

WKR
My buddy who knew nothing about bows was accompanying me on a backpack elk hunt to call for me. I taught him how to call on the drive there with a primos hyper lip. I was getting the last of my gear squared away at the trailhead and I hear a loud "TWANG!". I turned and saw him holding my bow. I asked if he dry fired it.

He asked "What does that mean?".

I asked "did you fire it without an arrow on it?".

He responded "yeah, is that bad?"

The bow, a Mathews Legacy was fine, except for the lack of a kisser which ended up on the moon for all I know. He redeemed himself somewhat by calling in a 6 point for me the third day.

OP
itsTyrtruion
Update on the bow, took it to scheels here in Reno and have to admit that Justin and Kevin had their shit together, were very helpful and knowledgeable about everything. They stripped it down and we found one cam bent really bad, the other cam not horrible but still not straight. They took cams, sting and cables off a new pro34 they had on the shelf and over 2 hours meticulously rebuilt my bow, tuned it up, set peep and installed the ripcord ace in a better location than before. Granted I no longer have hunter orange cables and string but the total bill was $180 out the door.

So, specifics to the incident:

I was at my father in laws house while my wife was helping her grandmother relocate, he has 10+ acres so I brought my bow, and shotgun along to have some fun while waiting. He has an older friend that is a little older, 65-70? That's a bit outspoken and pompous at times but he's good people. I have a target set up about 35yds away but 20-30' below me down a cliff for a steep angle shot.

I took 3 shots, set the bow against the fence and started to defend the cliff. Half way down the friend asked what the poundage is so I look while I'm answering him and see him pulling it back... apparently I uttered some words that really hit their mark enough that my father in laws friend took off worried that I might hurt him, my father in law said he's never seen me mad before...

I called him about an hour later to tell him not to beat himself up about it and that I forgive him... he didn't know, and honestly sounded like he feels like shit about possibly ruining my season.

Shit happens and I figure this is a great opportunity to teach all three people that were there about compounds and how/why it's unsafe to do what he did.

I'm glad nobody was hurt.

I'm also not going to tell him he owes me. I'm pretty sure $180 to him is a ton out of his monthly cash... I have kifaru, Sitka, kuiu, vortex, and Hoyt.... if I can bitch about $180 costing too much there's some other shit I need to cut back on first.
Hell... the 6 Valkyrie arrows and heads cost nearly 3X that....

Gumbo

WKR
Hoyt Pro34? I thought they dry fired those at the factory...

Yeah, but straight back. That bow was probably dry fired at a weird angle which caused the derail and the obvious issues. I bet if itsTyrtruion had just shot it normal form without an arrow there would have been far less damage and no derail...maybe even no damage.