Lock on bow case while flying

tdoublev

FNG
I've been reading some conflicting stuff when it comes to locking your bow case for traveling through the airport. I know when it comes to guns, they do not want you to use a TSA lock for security purposes. I have heard the opposite with a bow case, but I can hardly understand why. For those of you flying with your bow, what lock(s) are you going with on your case? I also know that it's not required to lock your bow case, but I would like to.

Also, have you had any issues when checking your case? I read some stories about the cases being locked, TSA wanting to have a look inside (even though it's not a gun and doesn't need any special treatment), and people having to open them up and prove that everything is squared away. I know travelers with firearms bake in that extra time at the airport to allow for extra looks from TSA, but has anyone else had issues with their bow? Hoping the story I read was a rare encounter.

MattB

WKR
I use TSA locks for bows and most recently for a pistol. Never had a problem but you need to add extra time for the TSA process if you you non-TSA recognized locks and go to an airport where the TSA bag inspection is behind closed doors.

The only place that required a lock on a bow case that I have hunted is the Northern Territory in Australia. You also fill out paperwork…the form is the same one used for guns and ammo. Broadheads must be off the arrows and stored in a hard container….in my case that was a large hand cream jar I’d cleaned out and put foam into. Just shoved the sharp fixed heads into the foam.

That said, you are at the mercy of the people checking you in…so have a lock as well as a zip tie ready to use. Might save you time and trouble sometime.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
When I flew with a bow and no firearm in the case. I walked into the airport pulling the case behind me, they asked me if it was a firearm. I said no, they said ok throw it on up here. I had my own pad lock on it. They never inspected it.

I often put a handgun in the bow case and declare it. This way I can use my own locks on it and no one can open it. If it gets lost, a lost firearm lights a fire under the ass of the airline to find the case and get it to me. I also get the benefit of having a pistol at my destination.

I often put a handgun in the bow case and declare it. This way I can use my own locks on it and no one can open it. If it gets lost, a lost firearm lights a fire under the ass of the airline to find the case and get it to me. I also get the benefit of having a pistol at my destination.

Smart.

However I'd still use non TSA locks on my bow

Tilzbow

WKR
TSA regulations require that TSA have the ability to open and inspect baggage. If you use non-TSA locks on a bow case TSA can cut your lock off to do their inspection, if they choose.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/02/18/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-tsa-recognized-locks

As far as firearms and locks, here’s the verbiage from the TSA website:

Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Tilzbow

WKR

That works as long as TSA doesn’t want to take another look in the case after it’s checked in. We (my dad and I) nearly missed both our departing and returning flights because his firearm case had non-TSA locks and both times he was called to open the case for inspection about the time boarding started. The first was leaving Reno and he made it back with 5 minutes to spare while the second was in Denver and I had to take the train to another terminal then get back to the plane and I made It seconds before they close the door for boarding.

MattB

WKR
That works as long as TSA doesn’t want to take another look in the case after it’s checked in. We (my dad and I) nearly missed both our departing and returning flights because his firearm case had non-TSA locks and both times he was called to open the case for inspection about the time boarding started. The first was leaving Reno and he made it back with 5 minutes to spare while the second was in Denver and I had to take the train to another terminal then get back to the plane and I made It seconds before they close the door for boarding.
This is a good point. Many, but not all, airports have TSA screenings performed in the public area. A number of airports perform the screenings in a secure area the general public cannot access. In instances where I have checked a firearm and used non-TSA locks, I have been asked to remain near the check-in counter for an extra 15 minutes in case TSA needed my keys to access my luggage.

I personally would only use TSA-approved locks on a bow case (and even used TSA-approved locks with a pistol the last time I travelled with one).

RC_

FNG
I flew with my bow for the first time last year and was also worried after reading conflicting information regarding using TSA vs. non-TSA locks. I ultimately showed up to the the airport with 4 non-TSA padlocks and 4 TSA locks so I could comply with what I was told.

Upon arrival, TSA saw my SKB case and asked if it contained a firearm. I replied that it was archery equipment and they insisted on putting it through a scanner anyways and then asked to put the non-TSA locks on the case.

For my return flight, I requested an inspection so I could put my own locks on it and it wasn’t an issue. A TSA officer opened the case, moved a few things around, and then let me re-pack everything and put my locks on. Going forward I plan to travel with the extra locks, but requesting inspections and using my own locks will be what I try to do.

Obviously this may vary by airport and what level of power trip the blue shirt is on that day.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I do. Sometimes, I'll even leave the magazines and ammo at home. I just care about being the only one with access inside my case.

N2TRKYS

WKR
TSA wanted to open it again after TSA already cleared it and recheck it? Did they give you a reason why?

Tilzbow

WKR
TSA wanted to open it again after TSA already cleared it and recheck it? Did they give you a reason why?

Yes. Because they can. I didn’t ask for a reason, really no point, and I do my best to avoid conflict with TSA agents and airline agents since that never turns out well.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Yes. Because they can. I didn’t ask for a reason, really no point, and I do my best to avoid conflict with TSA agents and airline agents since that never turns out well.
Interesting. I’ve never had them call me back after they’ve checked my case and given my keys back to me. I’ve went through Denver a few times as well.