Trophy Taker Quad Steel Broadhead Review

I finally got my hands on the new Trophy Taker Quad Steel broadhead. The little black stuff on the head is parts of my target after I shot it a bunch of times

Check out these pics and my video review on my YouTube Channel:

Trophy Taker Quad Steel Broadhead Test - YouTube

Attachments

• quad side.jpg
    quad side.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 62
  • quad best.jpg
    quad best.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 59
  • quad face toward.jpg
    quad face toward.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 54

MattB

WKR
Looks like it has a poor blade angle, great for shooting long distance but not the best for killing stuff.

OP
Bowhuntr64
Looks like it has a poor blade angle, great for shooting long distance but not the best for killing stuff.

Hmmm. No offense, but I’m not sure where you’re getting your info from; I think that’s based on traditional thought... I used to think the same. But in all my testing of dozens and dozens of heads shot into almost every medium imaginable, I’ve not found much appreciable difference, if any, in the angle of fixed blade heads affecting penetration. Probably the flattest blade angle head I’ve ever shot is the Trophy Taker ATAC and it is one of the very best penetrating heads on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR

^Agreed

That head puts a lot of the blade edge against hair and hide dulling the edge. I've had problems with a similar design dulling on hogs and elk.

One only has to drag a skinning knife across the outside of any animal a couple times to see the dulling power of hair and hide.....

MattB

WKR
Hmmm. No offense, but I’m not sure where you’re getting your info from; I think that’s based on traditional thought... I used to think the same. But in all my testing of dozens and dozens of heads shot into almost every medium imaginable, I’ve not found much appreciable difference, if any, in the angle of fixed blade heads affecting penetration. Probably the flattest blade angle head I’ve ever shot is the Trophy Taker ATAC and it is one of the very best penetrating heads on the market.

Where am I getting my information? Not YouTube. 😁

Penetration is one factor in killing animals, blade sharpness is another. In my limited experience (using live animals as the test medium), I was not impressed with the edge retention when you push a less efficient blade profile like that through hair, hide, and bone. On one moose I shot, I got complete penetration through the lungs but had to shoot it again 45 mins later to kill it. It was very confusing why the shot placement did not lead to a much quicker death, but upon recovery of the arrow I learned the BH blades had dulled considerably. I have to attribute the lack of edge retention at least in part to blade angle.

OP
Bowhuntr64
Where am I getting my information? Not YouTube.

Penetration is one factor in killing animals, blade sharpness is another. In my limited experience (using live animals as the test medium), I was not impressed with the edge retention when you push a less efficient blade profile like that through hair, hide, and bone. On one moose I shot, I got complete penetration through the lungs but had to shoot it again 45 mins later to kill it. It was very confusing why the shot placement did not lead to a much quicker death, but upon recovery of the arrow I learned the BH blades had dulled considerably. I have to attribute the lack of edge retention at least in part to blade angle.

Well I certainly agree edge retention is the top factor in determining penetration. That’s why I shoot A2 and S7 Tool Steel heads. Total cut surface is another big factor. But the angle of the blades is no where nearly as significant of a factor in penetration.

Trial153

WKR
i agree, the blade angle sucks. It will be no issue for smaller thin skinned game but i would stay clear of game with any size to it.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Without watching the video, I see multiple things about this head I don’t care for.

It’s Slick Trick aerodynamic so it might shoot nice on speed bows @ distance. That’s about as much as I see that I might consider liking.

I’m definitely not shooting a 250 boar hog with them. Whitetail ? Yeah, but those blades look or appear set up to fold or break off.

Beendare

WKR
i agree, the blade angle sucks. It will be no issue for smaller thin skinned game but i would stay clear of game with any size to it.

^ yeah good post.

Big difference between thin skinned whitetails and moose like in Matts post. My experience mirror his with shooting a lot of elk and hogs. Blade angle....especially with these replaceable blade heads is a big factor on tough game like hogs, elk, moose, etc.

Lots of tradeoff with BH design....of course these short heads are more forgiving to get true....and easier to tune.....but they sacrifice performance on tough critters.