Apollo or cargo panel

dmjojump

FNG
How is it going? I am looking at getting a new frame and pack this year. I do shooting events and looking for a good day pack. I want the kifaru duplex frame but not sure which pack. I was thinking the cargo panel with pockets, then I saw there Apollo. What are your thoughts?

oldgoat

WKR
I'll be able to tell you in two weeks'ish! Guess it would depend on what all you want to haul. It's made for a 22" frame but will fit on the longer frames. I ordered one to replace the Cargo Panel my wife has now because it is a little sloppy on her 22". It worked well still. If you are looking for a daypack that can haul on the meat shelf it's a good one

oldgoat

WKR
They said on a Facebook post and it may be reflected on the Specs page that it will fit all the sizes, it's just going to have some blank space on the frame on the longer frames. You might check out the tahr also

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I went with Cargo Panel and pockets. Very versatile.

[video=youtube;5js3O1b-OyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5js3O1b-OyA[/video]

I have an apollo on a 26 inch frame. Really liking it so far. Sweet little bag. It does work similar to a cargo panel... BUT it doesn't really have top compression or I guess I should up and over the top compression. You could achieve that with a lid I guess. With the roll top when I have a load between the bag and frame (so the Apollo hypalon sleeve is not over the frame there is a lack of compression. I wish there was straps from the back of the bag on the top that could attach back to the frame.

Last edited:
IMG_80721_zpshdkjut2v.jpg

Apollo on 26 inch frame. I have moved the bottom compression strap to the bottom of the bag and that helps make the pack stay more secure to the frame. The bottom strap is up high in this photo. The bag doesn't really have anything holding it to the frame on the bottom. On a 26 inch frame you cant attach the delta straps to the bag like its intended to be on the small frame. Well you could attach it but its a very steep strange angle. Kifaru suggested that I dont attach the delta straps the bag but run the compression strap at the bottom so I followed that council.

Last edited:
IMG_80781_zps9bokqwci.jpg

Here it is with a camp bag full of gear between the bag and frame. Fits nicely but you can see what I was saying about the up and over the top compression. Its not a huge problem really... the load is secure. I guess a lid would provide the compression but the guide lid is just huge on this pack ridiculous in my opinion. I might try a standard lid. Wish kifaru made a little "day lid" for this type of application.

mhedlund

FNG
Thanks for the photos. I ordered my Apollo this weekend. Really looking forward to using it this summer and fall.

chopchop

FNG
IMG_80781_zps9bokqwci.jpg

Here it is with a camp bag full of gear between the bag and frame. Fits nicely but you can see what I was saying about the up and over the top compression. Its not a huge problem really... the load is secure. I guess a lid would provide the compression but the guide lid is just huge on this pack ridiculous in my opinion. I might try a standard lid. Wish kifaru made a little "day lid" for this type of application.

Can you run the k-clips for the roll top back to the frame instead of onto the bag? That might give it a little more stability up top.

I messed with that. It can work for sure. It looked like it worked better with certain sized loads than others. I was sort of pulling the roll top section (collar) over the camp bag and it was sort of like a lid. There just isn't a perfect spot to attach them but it does work ok.

TacticoolMike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at both setups as well. The Apollo would definitely let you into the game a little cheaper at least. If I went with the cargo panel I'd be looking at a guide lid and an E&E or other pockets which would all add up quickly. The frame and Apollo would be the cheaper route while still giving you decent storage and overflow with sandwiching between the frame.

oldgoat

WKR
I'm looking at both setups as well. The Apollo would definitely let you into the game a little cheaper at least. If I went with the cargo panel I'd be looking at a guide lid and an E&E or other pockets which would all add up quickly. The frame and Apollo would be the cheaper route while still giving you decent storage and overflow with sandwiching between the frame.
The Tahr is only moderately more money, like $30 more and would give you a little more storage and has a load shelf

TacticoolMike

Lil-Rokslider
I like the looks of the Tahr but I really don't like just a top loading pack. If it had side access or another access point it would be great.

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
Could somebody please post or PM a picture of the Apollo bag with the load shelf in use. I'm thinking I may need one. I can't see any of the photo bucket pictures here. Thanks