Kifaru Shape Charge Comfort

kal1431

FNG
I’m considering purchasing a Kifaru Shape Charge (with waistbelt and Sherman) and curious about the general comfort of the pack under load. My saddle hunting setup including all my other gear is generally around 25-30 lbs depending on how many layers I’m packing in. I’ve ran frame packs, but realistically don’t see myself packing out meat as I’m generally not terribly far away from the truck (3-4 miles absolute max in most cases, often less, primarily PA whitetail hunting). I love the organization, ability to customize, and overall versatility of the Shape Charge.

So, what is your experience with this pack? Am I going to regret not getting a frame? Or will this pack be able to handle this amount of weight with no problem?

Drenalin

WKR
It'll be good with that amount of weight, assuming you're not carrying it around from dark to dark. It's a fairly stiff frame sheet and the belt is perfectly adequate (I actually prefer it to the duplex belt).

OP
K

kal1431

FNG
It'll be good with that amount of weight, assuming you're not carrying it around from dark to dark. It's a fairly stiff frame sheet and the belt is perfectly adequate (I actually prefer it to the duplex belt).
Typically, it would be one of two situations: either hiking 3-4 miles before first light in the morning, then hiking back out after dark, OR 7-8 mile hikes in the summer for scouting/setting up cameras, etc. Obviously, I would have less gear/weight on me for the summer scouting trips as I wouldn't have my sticks, platform, cold weather gear, etc. Thank you!

Drenalin

WKR
Typically, it would be one of two situations: either hiking 3-4 miles before first light in the morning, then hiking back out after dark, OR 7-8 mile hikes in the summer for scouting/setting up cameras, etc. Obviously, I would have less gear/weight on me for the summer scouting trips as I wouldn't have my sticks, platform, cold weather gear, etc. Thank you!
I think you'll be good to go. I really liked the layout of the Shape Charge and found it plenty comfortable.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Care to expand?

The Shape Charge + Sherman is as heavy as a good frame pack system and less capable, less versatile, less adjustable, and far less comfortable. There’s really no functional upside, imo.

Ask yourself, what are the heaviest components in your saddle system? How does a Shape Charge accommodate them? How could a proper external frame pack manage those same items? Which is better? Then decide for yourself.

But if you solely want my opinion, I wouldn’t go with the Shape Charge.

The Shape Charge can be added to a Kifaru frame, so there is that option if you find it can’t cut the mustard on it’s own. My experience on PA public is, with the weights of your gear and your distances, it won’t.

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I almost got one for my saddle hunting setup. Ended up with a Stryker xl and Sherman. I have zero experience with the shape charge but the Stryker and duplex lite carry weight very well, even if my platform is in a sub optimal position between the sherman and Stryker. I may add a claymore lid for more organization. I used a tethrd fas pack last year and it was not nearly as supportive. I also like the versatility that comes with the frame pack, I can take it out west easier if I ever get drawn.

prm

WKR
If I could replace the Hellbender bag portion with the bag only of the Shape charge, that would be a nice whitetail pack for when packing out deer is needed.

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm waffling over a Shape Charge or keeping my Antero 2.

The Antero will handle that load with zero issues. I've heard some negative feedback about the SC strap system and the comfort of them.

If you're in Western PA, you'd be welcome to 'test drive' either of my setups if it would help

OP
K

kal1431

FNG
I just found another thread (not sure how I missed it my first time searching) where Bender from Kifaru said the Shape Charge with waist belt should handle 55-60lbs before you’ll start wishing you had a full-on frame. So I’m thinking I should be well within that tolerance even when I’m fully loaded. Appreciate everyone’s input on this.

Reactions: prm
Can squeeze a couple night scouting trip out of it , add a Sherman pocket

2ae1207ee5ecc1a2da76a2ed98e902bd.jpg

My daughter used it mostly

56c7f2832027876a4c083c436925d0f5.jpg

Ended up selling it and got a minikeg , its a more versatile pack if you “need” to carry weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
K

kal1431

FNG
Following up here. I ended up buying a Shape Charge. When it was delivered, I loaded it up with the gear I normally hunt with. I was getting sore just walking in circles around my garage. It felt like the pack was extremely cantilevered when loaded; almost like the weight would cause me to fall backwards in a sense. So, within 24 hours I returned the Shape Charge and purchased a lightly used 22 mag and a brand new Ark frame. Absolute night and day difference. I was hoping to get away from needing a frame, but learned it’s well worth it. Thank you everyone for all your input, it is greatly appreciated!