Testing the Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900

I took some time this morning to mess around with attaching the Talus bag to a Kifaru frame. From what I can see, it doesn't look like it would work very well at all. The part of the Talus that goes over the top of the Krux frame doesn't fit over the top of the Kifaru frame.

Honestly, I think the two systems are both very well made, and thought out. I personally don't see a benefit to mixing and matching them. I would just pick the one that works best for you, and enjoy it.

Thanks Justin appreciate the time.

stuckbuck

FNG
It will fit.

48f43f736c96bbbcbb30573c2c5a1c74.jpg
6f51e1af1ae301767387934811e301a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
I will take my old Gen 1 duplex frame and cut out the frame sheet at the top and see how that works. I have that old frame and a Solo bag sitting in a pile right now.

stuckbuck

FNG
How are you attaching the top? Just the straps?

Yes, the straps just wrap around and the flap tightened over top of frame. I don't/haven't used it like this, I just put it all together to see if it would work.
The biggest problem is the bottom of the bag isn't attached other than the two bottom straps. So when it's not secured down all around, it's floppy.

tttoadman

WKR
I will take my old Gen 1 duplex frame and cut out the frame sheet at the top and see how that works. I have that old frame and a Solo bag sitting in a pile right now.

Well that doesn't work very well. My bag is an original Solo with the attached meat shelf. It has very narrow slots that go over the frame. I hacked the edges off of the old duplex to make the stays slide up into the bag. The bag is too wide, so it makes it a bit baggy. With some tri-slides and straps, this could attach pretty well. I just don't see it being worth it. Would not be worth messing up a good frame.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Justin - while we're talking about frames.....what's your thoughts on the differences between the Kifaru hunting frame (ultralight stays or otherwise) and the Krux frame? Do you feel like one or the other is better suited to you for heavier loads? If so, what feels different to you? They are both highly regarded platforms, but very rarely do you read comparisons between the two. I know Rokslide compared the Bikini to it a few years ago, but that's seems to be the extent of thorough caparisons out there.

Stopping into Stone Glacier this afternoon......upgrading to the Talus or Sky Archer bag!

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Justin - while we're talking about frames.....what's your thoughts on the differences between the Kifaru hunting frame (ultralight stays or otherwise) and the Krux frame? Do you feel like one or the other is better suited to you for heavier loads? If so, what feels different to you? They are both highly regarded platforms, but very rarely do you read comparisons between the two. I know Rokslide compared the Bikini to it a few years ago, but that's seems to be the extent of thorough caparisons out there.

Stopping into Stone Glacier this afternoon......upgrading to the Talus or Sky Archer bag!

Been wondering the same thing, especially without being able to handle either.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

That's a great question, and I intend to answer the best I can after I put on more miles with loads. The main thing for me is always the packs ability to comfortably transfer the weight to my hips. After I added the power-pull option to the three piece belt of the Krux, it seems like it will work well for me. Both of the frames offer great adjust-ability, and should be comfortable to most body types imo. So far I have only been packing 60# with the Krux frame for training, and day hunting gear for spring bear. With that amount of weight it works very well, and is very comfortable. I'll be starting the Elk Shape program from MTN OPS shortly, and will continue increasing weight for my training hikes. As I do, I'll update my thoughts on heavy loads with the Krux frame vs the Kifaru frames.

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
I've never understood this terminology. What do you mean by "transfer" the weight to your hips?

I can't speak for Justin, but for myself. When packing a heavy load with old pack frames or poorly designed packs, the weight all goes on your shoulders. With a well designed pack, the adjustments, and design allow you to spread the weight starting at your shoulders, down to your hips, and across your entire back, so that you can still stand up right vs hunched way hover. I have used old military style pack frames that everyone has seen or used over the years. a board with webbing to tie the load and two shoulder straps. I have used Eberlestock packs, which did not fit me right and would still have me hunching over instead of standing upright. Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Exo and others have all designed frames that allow you to have 100 lbs or more and still be able to stand up right as long as it is configured correctly. There are lots of adjustments to be made, and lots of customization for many body types to make the load ride correctly

Justin,
Thanks for doing this. I also have to say I appreciate your videos. It starts with you spraying the hose on the pack instead of 5 minutes talking about how you are going to spray the pack with the hose like a lot of reviews do.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can't speak for Justin, but for myself. When packing a heavy load with old pack frames or poorly designed packs, the weight all goes on your shoulders. With a well designed pack, the adjustments, and design allow you to spread the weight starting at your shoulders, down to your hips, and across your entire back

I have always started with all the weight on my hips, and then tighten the shoulder straps down to take some of the weight off the hips. For me, the shoulder straps are there just to keep the top of the pack close to my body.

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
I have always started with all the weight on my hips, and then tighten the shoulder straps down to take some of the weight off the hips. For me, the shoulder straps are there just to keep the top of the pack close to my body.

I am probably not the best person to explain this, but I would do the same, but depending on the design of the pack, and belt, such as with the Eberlestock, the pack would get loose without really synching down the shoulder straps.

With the load lifters on the Stone Glacier it pulls the load closer to the body without overtaxing the shoulders or shifting much weight off the belt/hips. It took me a long time to understand how to adjust a pack correctly, because I never had anyone show me. Now that I have the system down, I don't ever worry about loads, because the flexibility in adjustment is extraordinary and makes 80 -120 lbs stable and comfortable.

Thanks for the review and insight! It is definitely an interesting pack. Currently I use a Gregory Z65 hiking pack.... Not fun with meat lol

Josh

Kotaman

WKR
I've owned several Stone Glacier packs (including this one) and ever more Kifaru packs and here's my take on the two frames: Both work great but the Kifaru Belt is the difference maker for me. It has taken me a LONG time to figure out what it is about Kifaru that makes them carry a load with ease and for me it is the belt.

With that said, the Stone Glacier Krux frame is pretty awesome itself, especially considering how light it is, but it does not carry a load for me like the Kifaru frame. No doubt this pack is a winner. The bag is one of my favorites I've used. But FOR ME, it is not a Kifaru.