Testing the Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a pic from yesterday. My buddy and I hiked just over 9 miles to check a trail cam, and look for bears on this grassy road. I had about 35 lbs in the pack counting my rifle. The pack carried comfortably except my rifle is really too heavy for side carry like that, and I had a sore left shoulder when we got back. I tend to over tighten the off side shoulder strap when carrying a heavy rifle like that.

01%20Hiking_zpslhsfnftf.jpg

Here is a pic from Idaho earlier this week with a buddies bear just before we packed it out. He is writing up the story, so I'm going to wait on the details.

Bear%20and%20Pack_zpsvdr70qq7.jpg

cwoods

FNG
I appreciate the honest and on-going review of this pack. Hats off to you Justin.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm starting to bump the weight up a little now and test out the load sling system. This morning I left all my spring bear gear in the pack bag and added a 55lb bag of concrete between the bag and frame. I typically prefer carrying the meat in the main bag but also want to fully test the Stone Glacier system out. The bag disconnected from the frame pretty easy, and with a few quick adjustments I was headed down the road for my morning workout.

80 lb total pack weight for a quick two mile workout.

1210ce20dc4c75ad8152e8b6aa82ecaf.jpg

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Talus is working great for weight hauling. The hip belt seems to stick to my hips well and keeps the weight off my shoulders and the shoulder straps are comfortable as well. The load sling and straps keep my bag of concrete tightly in place. Overall I think the Rambler from Kifaru is a little quicker to disconnect from the frame for load sling use but the Talus is pretty simple too and because the bag is so big I really wouldn't need to use it as often. The trade off for the quicker load sling setup with the Rambler is that it doesn't ride quite as tightly to the frame. Part of that is also due to the rifle sleeve I'm sure. I'll try and shoot a quick video this weekend of how the bag disconnects and how I load "meat" in the sling.

I have the same pack. I have been training with 70lbs in it consistently every other day for about 2 months. As stated by Justin, it really keeps the weight on your hips and I have no shoulder fatigue so far. I also really like how much it compresses down for a day pack style.
Really looking forward to getting it loaded up with gear for some camping and hunting trips this fall.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
sr80, if you are having any discomfort with the belt feel free to email me at [email protected] or call at 406-531-7506. There are several adjustments that can be made depending on where there may be pressure.
Best,
Kurt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
anybody experiencing any pain on their hips from the hip belt when pulled tight?

I have, and struggled a bit with fit for a little while, but I have talked with Kurt and Pete about it (very very helpful) you should definitely call them of you can't get it resolved. While the bags and frame are "simple" compared to some other systems they are also extremely adjustable, which is a huge asset.

Just from my experience I'd recommend you start with the tension you actually put on the waist belt - with the pack off, you can adjust the tri slides on each side of the belt to change the webbing tension (first photo). The looser, the less pinch you will feel on your hips, but you are sacrificing your ability to transfer weight from the frame. The second photo shows my hand under the webbing with the foam flat - it doesn't take much movement to really adjust how much of the webbing you will feel through the foam.

a241bb43866d3b030143639d93d32434.jpg

61b3e754a45be671ae6fe4df7fd96b12.jpg

I've always wondered if an extra piece of sheeting to spread that force from the webbing through the foam would help with the bruising you can get when you're under a heavy load and really have the belt cranked down....MR says it matters, but it also adds weight.....which is better is hard to say.

Kurt have you ever messed with sheeting a belt like that? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you have time to share. If I can find a good material to utilize I want to try to cut some pieces and try that out myself, just to know for sure.

sr80

WKR
I have, and struggled a bit with fit for a little while, but I have talked with Kurt and Pete about it (very very helpful) you should definitely call them of you can't get it resolved. While the bags and frame are "simple" compared to some other systems they are also extremely adjustable, which is a huge asset.

Just from my experience I'd recommend you start with the tension you actually put on the waist belt - with the pack off, you can adjust the tri slides on each side of the belt to change the webbing tension (first photo). The looser, the less pinch you will feel on your hips, but you are sacrificing your ability to transfer weight from the frame. The second photo shows my hand under the webbing with the foam flat - it doesn't take much movement to really adjust how much of the webbing you will feel through the foam.

a241bb43866d3b030143639d93d32434.jpg

61b3e754a45be671ae6fe4df7fd96b12.jpg

I've always wondered if an extra piece of sheeting to spread that force from the webbing through the foam would help with the bruising you can get when you're under a heavy load and really have the belt cranked down....MR says it matters, but it also adds weight.....which is better is hard to say.

Kurt have you ever messed with sheeting a belt like that? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you have time to share. If I can find a good material to utilize I want to try to cut some pieces and try that out myself, just to know for sure.

Ive loosened the webbing off, but usually after a couple tugs on the power pulls they pull tight again. I will contact kurt though. Thanks Wyatt. Sorry to hijack the thread

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Cool thread! I just received mine in the mail yesterday, so I'll try and add insight/answer questions where I can!

sr80

WKR
Ive loosened the webbing off, but usually after a couple tugs on the power pulls they pull tight again. I will contact kurt though. Thanks Wyatt. Sorry to hijack the thread

Kurt sent me some updated pulls with some anti slip material sewn on to them which solved the problem with the slip of the belt. Thanks again kurt. Top notch CS! Talus 6900 is enroute too!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm heading out on a 4 day bear hunt next week which will be my first real test of this pack. Should have some solid feedback on it and hopefully will get to pack out another bear or two.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Just got back last night from four days in the wilderness. We didn't get a bear but we put on a few miles and had a great time. The pack performed well as expected with 47.5 lbs going in. The water bottle pocket that hangs from the shoulder strap is very handy and works well but it kept bugging me being right under my arm. I finally took it off and used the lower side pocket on the left side for my water bottle and that worked great. I think I will leave the water bottle pocket at home from now on. With the side pockets too small for my 80mm spotting scope I have been carrying it in the main pocket which took some getting used to, but it's working well. In the exterior side pockets I'm putting my puffy jacket, my water filter, my Jetboil and my rain jacket.

01_zpsy6go8reo.jpg

04_zpsdbsmjsis.jpg

12_zpsbpnlszk2.jpg

05_zpscvpyxiym.jpg

I packed my heavy rifle for this hunt which puts too much weight on my right side and makes it really hard to balance the pack right. Yesterday we hiked about 9.5 miles and I started getting some pain on my right hip around mile six or so. I'm sure this was due to the rifle being on that side. The rifle carrier also allows the butt of the rifle to move with me a little as I walk which is good except it rubs against the hip belt.

06_zpslwwcg64f.jpg