Mystery Ranch Pintler Do-All Pack?

marktole

WKR
Would obviously make a good day or overnight hunt pack since that's what it's made for. However with the ability to carry a dry bag with camp gear and food between the bag and frame, couldn't you stretch it out to a 5 or 7 day hunt with that pack? Am I crazy to think this or should I be looking at two bags or maybe something different instead?

Dameon

WKR
The Pintler is the latest version of the Longbow, which is what I have. I have used my Longbow exactly as you have described. I put all my day hunting stuff in the main bag and my food and camp gear in a 35L Sea to Summit orange durable dry bag between the main bag and frame. It works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
Good to hear, thank you for the input! I've been thinking about getting one for a while once they come back in stock.

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
Figured the Pintler would be a little easier to access for day stuff. And since Mystery Ranch apparently isn't selling components anymore I don't like the idea of having two $500 packs laying around and mostly using one.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
why not just get the metcalf for longer trips?

That bag has a lot of straps all over it which aren't removable and make a rats nest when compressed down into day mode in my opinion.

I do the same thing as the OP is asking for a spike camp setup, I load everything heavy into a haul bag (ideally everything but if it doesn't fit then I put light stuff in the backpack which is a bit of a turtle effect). When I get to camp I drop that and setup and am back to my daypack. If I was moving and bivy hunting I'd go more towards a single pack though.

Dameon

WKR
That bag has a lot of straps all over it which aren't removable and make a rats nest when compressed down into day mode in my opinion.

I do the same thing as the OP is asking for a spike camp setup, I load everything heavy into a haul bag (ideally everything but if it doesn't fit then I put light stuff in the backpack which is a bit of a turtle effect). When I get to camp I drop that and setup and am back to my daypack. If I was moving and bivy hunting I'd go more towards a single pack though.

This is what I do as well. For bivy hunting and thru-hiking, I prefer to use my Marshall bag.

For the price there are other packs I'd buy first. But the quality is top-notch. At least, on the USA made ones. I haven't seen any of the new ones.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The new ones are top notch quality as well, you'd be hard pressed to find a better sewn product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're doing a drop camp and then want a pack to hunt with out of camp, might also look at the new SG Avail- its smaller (~35 liters), but plenty big for day hunting- team it with their Krux frame and one of their large dry bags and you can haul additional gear, and some meat out

the Avail is built to mate to their frame, but can be removed for stand alone use

Packs are like politics.

I've tried a lot of different packs and pack companies over the years. I think they all make good packs. For my ways I like the Mystery Ranch lineup better than anything going. They aren't extremely gadgety. Not extremely physically light. Not extremely expensive. To me they are solid and simple. I've related this here before: I killed a mature Alaskan bull moose in September while on a solo backcountry hunt. I used my Pintler to carry out 100% of the meat plus the skull/antlers. I did it all alone and the Pintler was as solid a workhorse as any pack I've ever used. I had no hotspots or soreness r/t the pack. Everything about it was simply superb for me.

The Pintler makes a superior hunting daypack compared to the Metcalf I think. I had a Met and it was just too big, strappy and excessive for my day uses. Great backpack but I don't like collapsing them down into a wrinkled mass while hunting. I also am a huge proponent of the tri-zip access on MR packs which is way nicer in day use vs top access only. In short, my Pintler feels like the best hunting and packing rig I've ever carried. I've got a friend who is waiting on the next round of them to be available.

oldhorse

WKR
I would like to give the Pintler a try, but every time I check the MR website they show no availability for the size/color combo I want. Anyone else having this issue?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I would like to give the Pintler a try, but every time I check the MR website they show no availability for the size/color combo I want. Anyone else having this issue?

They are out until Jan I think, that first production run went pretty quick.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Packs are like politics.

I've tried a lot of different packs and pack companies over the years. I think they all make good packs. For my ways I like the Mystery Ranch lineup better than anything going. They aren't extremely gadgety. Not extremely physically light. Not extremely expensive. To me they are solid and simple. I've related this here before: I killed a mature Alaskan bull moose in September while on a solo backcountry hunt. I used my Pintler to carry out 100% of the meat plus the skull/antlers. I did it all alone and the Pintler was as solid a workhorse as any pack I've ever used. I had no hotspots or soreness r/t the pack. Everything about it was simply superb for me.

The Pintler makes a superior hunting daypack compared to the Metcalf I think. I had a Met and it was just too big, strappy and excessive for my day uses. Great backpack but I don't like collapsing them down into a wrinkled mass while hunting. I also am a huge proponent of the tri-zip access on MR packs which is way nicer in day use vs top access only. In short, my Pintler feels like the best hunting and packing rig I've ever carried. I've got a friend who is waiting on the next round of them to be available.

Didn't want to start a different thread.

Mr Dill if you still have that Pintler.
I'm still having slippage issue with my Pintler. And I just had a brain fart of an idea. What if use those 3M Anti-Slip stickers? Most of my jackets are slick, Arc'Teryx and they tend to slip off my hips with them.
You think that's a good or bad idea?
thanks
kXGQkpum.jpg
2j3x88hm.jpg