Load carrying day pack+?

NickT406

FNG
Classified Approved
Spika drover 40 liter from Amazon. On sale for around 200 bucks or less and they are very durable packs. Reminds me a lot of my K2 3500 exo but less then half the price and comes with all the accessories. On par build quality with my mystery ranch and exo. I spent a day trying to critique the pack and couldn't find anything wrong with it so I gave it to my co worker to try out and he loves it. He said it handles weight very well. It's an Australian company not a Chinese brand. Worth taking a look at!

tony

WKR
Mystery Ranch dropped an email saying 30% off for black friday
Check dvor as well, they are doing at least 30% and have run some insane sales on MR.
Camofire and Sportsmans Warehouse is another good look.

The popups, pintler and sawtooth are excellent choices that won't break the bank

Almost forgot, Alps has a coupon code for forum members in the top sub section. Their new line was reviewed by a member and gave it good marks. They have a smallish pack that might work for what your looking for.

Lando

WKR
I would look into a used Eberlestock Mainframe with batwings and the drysack duffle if you find a really good deal.

Mystery Ranch mentioned by others is good if you can find one within your budget.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Got a pop up 38 used in mint condition for like 180. Zero complaints. Only way I’d go with Exo or SG is if I were wanting to build a full system off of their frames, which will push you over a grand all said and done. For a nice solid day pack that stays what it is I am really a fan of the pop up series.

Billdoe

FNG
Pop up 38 here. Plenty of room for a day pack. I have only hauled 4 loads of elk out with mine but I was happy. 3 trips were short maybe 1/2 mile mostly side hilling. 4th trip was all up hill through a drainage a couple miles.

You aren’t going to buy any of the bigger named packs, with a bag, for $300 or less. Except an Asian sweat shop produced mystery ranch.

If buying American is important to him, buy one of the more popular offerings he’s says he can’t afford. If buying berry compliant is important to him, go Kifaru.

If he’s hunting that much, justifying the cost of an American made pack should be no problem.

N.ID7803

WKR
Exo K3 1800 is a perfect day tripper. Should be plenty of time to piece together a gently used bag and frame.

bmart2622

WKR
Agree. I completely understand people being on a budget and the sticker shock of the higher end packs can be significant but they are worth the extra cost and with the way they compress down you could buy a bigger bag and then be set if you ever decide you need multi day capacity.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Heck my Metcalf packs down flat as a board for day hunts. Everything goes in the lid. Have room if I need a multi day pack. 20231118_113053~2.jpg

Rokwiia

WKR
Nowadays, you can buy a very-light pack with the desired load capacity yet be able to swap out the small bag for a larger one. That gives you total freedom to use it as a day pack or as an expedition pack. You could do that with a Seek Outside Peregrin and separately buy the Goshawk 6,300 bag when funds allow.

I run an Australian Spika off of Amazon operates just like an Exo and also all Exo accessories mainly k3 fit on this pack, crib load panel bow and rifle carrier, even the k3 hip belt.

Attachments

• 75E41884-22B5-4553-9020-1D459B5DE6CB.jpeg
    75E41884-22B5-4553-9020-1D459B5DE6CB.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 55
  • AAF01DF6-692E-4E7D-B237-6C829294FEFA.jpeg
    AAF01DF6-692E-4E7D-B237-6C829294FEFA.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 53
Pop up 38 here. Plenty of room for a day pack. I have only hauled 4 loads of elk out with mine but I was happy. 3 trips were short maybe 1/2 mile mostly side hilling. 4th trip was all up hill through a drainage a couple miles.
How many lbs were you able to carry per trip roughly?

+1 for a used Eberlestock mainframe. Can be used as a daypack with batwings or just strap a lightweight duffel bag to it for 1-3 day treks. To me it carries heavy loads (80lbs) better than the metcalf or beartooth. Ultimately though something that fits him well is most important.

exo k4 frame
lid(648 cu in)

crib and on crib:
belt pocket(70 cu in)

ZipLid from pocket up(176 cu in)​

total 894+-

Last edited:

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Spika drover 40 liter from Amazon. On sale for around 200 bucks or less and they are very durable packs. Reminds me a lot of my K2 3500 exo but less then half the price and comes with all the accessories. On par build quality with my mystery ranch and exo. I spent a day trying to critique the pack and couldn't find anything wrong with it so I gave it to my co worker to try out and he loves it. He said it handles weight very well. It's an Australian company not a Chinese brand. Worth taking a look at!
I run an Australian Spika off of Amazon operates just like an Exo and also all Exo accessories mainly k3 fit on this pack, crib load panel bow and rifle carrier, even the k3 hip belt.

Any idea how much the Spika frame weighs?