Ultralight vs Indestructible

LBFowler

WKR
Its a very important distinction to make, this isn't some grammar nazi "your vs. you're" thing, you are using a specific set of words that mean a specific thing. Sloppy use of language perpetuates silly myths like "heavier=tougher"

If you are asking if giving up specific features is worth it to save weight, that is something worth discussing, but if you are asking if you should buy one pack over another because it is heavier I'd just tell you to put a few water bottles in the lighter one and then you can compare them on equal footing.

If you don't like a simple pack with one main compartment and maybe only a few pockets, perhaps the lighter weight packs aren't for you. If you like a frame with maximum structure that allows for less care in packing, maybe a heavier pack with more redundant framing is right for your. If you just like burly fabric with quality hardware and a strong frame, close your eyes and pick one. Or shop based on price. Or better yet try several and pick the most comfortable (hard and expensive to do unfortunately).

I agree to a point with LBFowler that plenty of light weight gear is tough enough for most people and therefore the generalization isn't a good one to make. When looking at gear there are 3 things you can trade off and you need to look at your priorities. 1) Cost 2) Weight 3) Toughness. You can usually get 2 of these items in an acceptable range but almost never 3. Now where I do take exception to LBFowler's hesitation to heavier != tougher is that once you sacrifice cost (which all these packs do) it is almost purely a trade on toughness, weight and features (to a point). For most people the toughness is good enough. A perfect example of this is the BA Copper Spur vs a Hilleberg Nallo. They are both great tents and for most people the Copper Spur is plenty good, but for a few they would shred a CS their first trip out and the extra 2lbs are worth it.

LBFowler

WKR
I think a more specific way to say it is that weight usually gains you durability up to certain threshold. It is usually safe to assume that a 4lb backpack is going to be tougher then a 2lb backpack of a given volume, but above a certain point (4lbs? 6lbs?) there is a massive drop off and very few 8lb+ packs are any more durable then a lighter pack. I guess my main contention is that this threshold may be much lower then normally assumed. Another example would be Eberlestock, nearly always heavier then any of the high end packs, but no real gain in durability (and I would argue, sometimes a loss in durability). This does reinforce COlineman78's three-axis model as the price on the eberlestock is lower. I'd say the cost/weight/durability (pick 2) thing is more true then not, but never forget that it is entirely possible to strike out and only get one out of three, or even zero out of three. Typically these products don't last long once people figure out how terrible they are, but they can still waste a few hard-earned dollars while they are out there.

I would suggest that a better comparison would be a quality floorless tipi vs. a hileberg, both are expensive and made from quality fabric. They probably have similar durability, but the hillegerg is going to be heavier because it has many more features. These features could be absolutely invaluable on some trips, or an annoyance on others.

MattB

WKR
LBFowler makes some good points. I've been using Kifaru for almost 20 years largely because it gives heavy duty performance without the weight of other heavy duty packs lime Mystery Ranch (which probably edges Kifaru in durability).

Anyways, we have gotten off-topic. The main advice I can give and it is said so much on this site that I'm surprised people still fail to heed it: Buy Once, Cry Once. Find people in your area with these and try them out and if that's not an option you can buy and return most unused for the cost of shipping so if you can afford it narrow it down to 2 and buy both, compare and return the once you don't want. The question should not be durability if you stick with a good company (Kifaru, SO, MR, SG, or Exo), but instead should be who has the most features you want and will most fit your style and possible future use. I promise you, the difference between a 3lb and 5lb pack will be unnoticeable if it fits you properly. The main selling point for me with Kifaru (other than the fact that the shop is right up the road and Aron would go out of his way to help you out) is the sheer variety of packs that can be put on the frame and they are so different and modular so the combinations are endless to set the pack up to your personal preferences. This can be done with SG to a lesser extent (if I remember correctly they have like 5 bags that fit their frame) and Exo (3 bags of different size but similar style).

GKPrice

Banned
several seasons ago I bought a pack on ebay advertised as a "meat and hunting pack", had pictures of the guy selling ( I guess) with an elk quarter and another with the "meat sling" carrying something like a grain sack or ?? - Anyway, it was $135 (if I remember right) so I sprung for it and I've made sure I had it with me no matter where I hunt, it's not pretty nor "expensive" and it doesn't have a CS dept to call but if I'm not mistaken it just concluded it's 4th season and aside from some stains from me, it looks as good as the day it showed up - It's comfortable for me with my spinal stenosis, it's adjustable and carries weight better than anything "I'VE" used before (and I've carried more than my share of "meat" out of Snake River canyons over many years) I wish I'd had it 20+ years ago ! I put my day pack in it some days and actually might regret spending money on the "latest & greatest" but then some drive Chev and some drive BMW .......