Can a woodsman fit on a 28" frame???

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Or would it fit strangely?

I have a fulcrum (love it) and even though it packs down small enough, Im sort of thinking of adding an additional pack. I was out hunting this weekend, just day hunting and The fulcrum was fine but having it all compressed into day mode made it a bit of a hassle to get in and out of the main compartment.

This isnt a knock on the pack, if Im packing in for days/weeks or planning on coming out super heavy then this is absolutely fine as it a compromise (packing in a camp, then compressing the pack down for day use. fine), but for just grabbing it, throwing it in the truck with my 22 and heading out for a day or even half a day it would be nice to have something a bit smaller but still have the ability for a quick overnight/weekend or a blacktail that I end up getting etc.

Anyways, woodsman on a 28" frame yes or nah?

thanks.

Fit, Yes. Look good, it depends.

I run a 22 Mag on my 26" frame as my day pack and it works great. I keep my woobie in a roll-top pod in the gap on the bottom and it works great. While it's not the same it should give you a good idea, so I've attached some pictures below. I don't have a woodsman, but if you want I could take some pictures of the 22 mag on my 28" frame.

HDIRzWhu7EQgTFOv6p-eBueCXT9tvyw7wXqJiSIlcTzBxaKdwe5PNV-bklY-cXBTSSbIpNWbNu78BNXH4dJWRISGCltrAiBr7tXyarkoZdDOy4zvz5ambDBeM2pEHZGrFIoYcCB1YHQ=w548-h974-no

km9yJGl7WXnrLPyiF7owle5tWxLUcmBxMJwnn2f-jGeBnWeRkxovCeGOFCLVOe-Fzoyl74o8OizidCh4omrtShXXiavXDeiuG2DnQM2P4aO33LR7Erch7xu8HukPU0BqMO6rVG5GdIc=w1732-h974-no

Can't comment on a 28. Woodsman works fine on a 26. There is a gap like shown.

I run mine on on a 22 in frame now the roll you have described. I like the smaller frame for tight woods in the northeast.

It is a bit much for a day pack but works fine. It handled a turkey decoy an gear last spring just fine. Did an over night this summer with no problems.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for the pics, I dont mind having that gap at the bottom too much, I could fit something there like you did. Now Im sort of wondering if I shouldnt just get a whole new set up for day hunting like a 24" frame with some sort of smaller pack or even a tarryall or 14er, or one of the smaller stone glacier packs.

Thanks for the pics, I dont mind having that gap at the bottom too much, I could fit something there like you did. Now Im sort of wondering if I shouldnt just get a whole new set up for day hunting like a 24" frame with some sort of smaller pack or even a tarryall or 14er, or one of the smaller stone glacier packs.

Tarryall and 14er are internal frame packs, so I don't like them personally for day hunting as they can't be used for a first load out. The only reason I have 2 frames is because I had the 26" frame first before they made a 28" and decided to keep it for a daypack as well as a second frame to loan out and let my dad use. With the 22 mag I carry a grab-it w/ lash kit so I can throw a load between the bag and the frame for a first load out.

Leo45

Lil-Rokslider
How tall (or how long of a torso) are you guys that are running 28" frames?
Just curious and I didn't see it on the website.

How tall (or how long of a torso) are you guys that are running 28" frames?
Just curious and I didn't see it on the website.

They won't even consider it if you aren't over 22" torso. It's not an option, but you can call them if you think that you need it or they may contact you if they think that you need it based on the info you provide. I am 6'5" with a 33" inseam and can wear both the 26" and 28", but the 28" is more comfortable over 100lbs.

I would never tell a fellow hunter not to buy gear. God knows that is half the fun. It is also good to dial in the right tool for the task.

So, I would suggest you consider what you want to use it for. If it isn't for a potential packout then a shorter frame and smaller bag is not going to be worth the $ or weight penalty IMO. My woodsman on a 22 inch frame or MR crewcab on a NICE frame weigh at least 2x what a comparable capacity day pay would and they probably cost twice as much also.

Now they can play different roles and having them as an option over a regular day pack is nice. The crewcab and now the woodsman are my primary still hunting packs for eastern whitetail. Where I am hunting, terrain and distance make dragging impractical about half the time so I have quartered and hauled the last couple of deer. I also used the woodsman in meat shelf mode to haul bags of corn into the woods and some turkey decoys last spring. However, I still grab my regular day pack if the situation is such that there is no chance I will need to haul something bulky or heavy.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They won't even consider it if you aren't over 22" torso. It's not an option, but you can call them if you think that you need it or they may contact you if they think that you need it based on the info you provide. I am 6'5" with a 33" inseam and can wear both the 26" and 28", but the 28" is more comfortable over 100lbs.

When I was ordering my pack, it was actually the guys at Kifaru who suggested a 28" frame. Im 6'4 and I always wear pants with a 32" inseam with no trouble, I asked them if a 26" would work for me and they immediatly suggested a 28". I dont have a 26" to compare to but if feels pretty darn good to me.