Seek Outside Pack

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Brooks is a tall bag designed to go high and keep a load close for the best COG possible. I have done a fair amount of testing of load placement, and heavy weight above your ears can make you tippy. So high and close is good, but don't put too heavy of weight too high. On the Revolution, the load shelf is movable, so choose your location.

Gatekeepers are light and highly adaptable. As long as you shut the gate, you should be fine, however they are so light it isn't a big deal to carry a spare or two. I carry a couple extra straps because they are very useful (clipping things, even moving a stake location on a tent if need be). Yes, we also use them to attach nests to tents, to raise the canopy similar to line locs etc. , hang a luci light or whatever.

Akicita

WKR
I have read reviews other places on the unaweep that you can collapse the bag and haul meat between the bag and talon. What kind of weight is that setup functional with?

I've done full Elk quarters that way when I've had more than a "day Load" in the main pack and it works well.

If I have a small "day load" I pack that in the Talon and will typically pack meat inside the main bag to get better balance.

MJsOP0U.jpg

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have read reviews other places on the unaweep that you can collapse the bag and haul meat between the bag and talon. What kind of weight is that setup functional with?

All the packs share the same hipbelt, shoulder harness, and frame, so they will all carry very similarly. The main differences with different loads and weights is the frame height (adjustable 24, 26, or 28"), lumbar or no, captured or floating belt, and the number of cross stays.

I generally use no or one cross stay, the Revolution and Brooks come with two (that can be removed). The other Integrated packs ship with one cross stay.

Our packs have a lot of options for meat carry. With a Unaweep you're carrying either inside the packbag, or push all the gear in packbag down to flatten the top, and then load meat on outside of bag and compress with Talon. This is what I'd likely do as any day gear acts as a shelf in bottom of pack to keep meat up, and gear doesn't get bloody. XPac doesn't easily absorb blood, so cleanup is easy either with internal carry or external.

The Brooks has an internal load shelf to do the same thing, so although you can carry external to packbag, it's intended to be carried internally using the shelf. Any packbag with a fully separating zipper will be easier to load meat internally than one without a zipper.

Meat carry on the Revolution - you can carry inside packbag, outside packbag and compressed like a Unaweep, you can use breakaway carry, or you can detach top of packbag, squash gear down to bottom of pack, and roll the top down as far as it'll go. Then load meat on top. You can also take packbag off completely and use the moveable meat shelf.