Seek Outside Gila

AXEL

WKR
I intend to buy one in the next few weeks for a general purpose pack to carry emerg. gear while training here in BC's mountains.

I have a fully rigged SO Divide MC=2015 model and an Exposure 5000 I bought last June and I LOVE these packs. I want the Gila as my "last" pack as it is exactly the size to carry my emerg. gear and just toss into the Access Cab of my Toy Taco 4x4 when I go exploring or fishing or just visiting far from my current home.

I cannot recommend SO too highly, super gear and really fine folks, IME.

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
I intend to buy one in the next few weeks for a general purpose pack to carry emerg. gear while training here in BC's mountains.

I have a fully rigged SO Divide MC=2015 model and an Exposure 5000 I bought last June and I LOVE these packs. I want the Gila as my "last" pack as it is exactly the size to carry my emerg. gear and just toss into the Access Cab of my Toy Taco 4x4 when I go exploring or fishing or just visiting far from my current home.

I cannot recommend SO too highly, super gear and really fine folks, IME.

Thanks for the reply,if you do get one please PM me and let me know what you think.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Gila is one of my favorite packs. I use it dayhunting for elk and deer and it'll be great for weekend backpack trips in fair weather. Also handy for predator calling in the winter. These are all things I do a lot, so the Gila will see a lot of use.

For hunting applications I think it does have some limitations. It's on our Integrated platform, meaning you can't carry a load of meat between the frame and packbag. Plus with no separating side zipper the packbag opening is pretty small to squeeze meat into. So that limits meat carry options really to shoving all gear as low in the packbag as possible and then compressing meat on top and outside the packbag, either with a Talon or with gatekeeper straps.

The Peregrine is the Revolution platform brother to the Gila, and it does have the extra meat carrying features - breakaway load carry between bag and frame, plus a fully separating side zip.

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
The Gila is one of my favorite packs. I use it dayhunting for elk and deer and it'll be great for weekend backpack trips in fair weather. Also handy for predator calling in the winter. These are all things I do a lot, so the Gila will see a lot of use.

For hunting applications I think it does have some limitations. It's on our Integrated platform, meaning you can't carry a load of meat between the frame and packbag. Plus with no separating side zipper the packbag opening is pretty small to squeeze meat into. So that limits meat carry options really to shoving all gear as low in the packbag as possible and then compressing meat on top and outside the packbag, either with a Talon or with gatekeeper straps.

The Peregrine is the Revolution platform brother to the Gila, and it does have the extra meat carrying features - breakaway load carry between bag and frame, plus a fully separating side zip.

Thanks very much for your input.
My hunting consists of packing in camp with a horse and usually hunting not more than a few miles from camp,when a animal is down I'll bring the first load back,get the horses and get the rest out.
I don't really need a Heavy Duty carry a 100lb load five miles kifaru pack.I'm looking for more of a daypack that will be lighter than my Kuiu 3200pro(like it a lot) but still be able to carry a 60lb load when needed.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks very much for your input.
My hunting consists of packing in camp with a horse and usually hunting not more than a few miles from camp,when a animal is down I'll bring the first load back,get the horses and get the rest out.
I don't really need a Heavy Duty carry a 100lb load five miles kifaru pack.I'm looking for more of a daypack that will be lighter than my Kuiu 3200pro(like it a lot) but still be able to carry a 60lb load when needed.

The Gila will carry just as well as the rest of our packs. It is the same suspension, built to the same specs, with a smaller more streamlined pack bag. I've used a discontinued Divide 3000 on 3 elk pack outs with day gear that is similar size and lay out.

I ended up buying one. Used it last weekend backpack scouting for deer. I’ll post some pictures soon but here are my first impressions:

- I really like the ultra light style layout of the pack, the side pockets are huge and easily accessible with the pack on. I put a nalgene and tripod on one side and another nalgene, tent poles, and spotting scope in the other.
- This pack carries like a dream. It took me a while to get the fit of the harness worked out but it’s every bit as comfortable as my Stone Glacier and Exo.
- I read other reviews online about how this pack vents better than internally framed packs but I experienced just as much sweating as usual. The back padding isn’t as breathable as 3D spacer mesh.
- The roll top obviously isn’t super fast for accessing items inside the pack but the mesh pocket outside easily stores all the stuff I’d want quick access to anyways.
- I’m not sure yet how I feel about the dual buckles on the hip belt. I kinda wish I would have also asked for a 2” quad buckle to try

Overall I am really impressed with it and am definitely going to keep it. I have a 14’r for day trips and a Stone Glacier 5900 for extended hunts and load carrying but the Gila will be my everyday backpacking pack and for scouting and high lakes fishing trips. I’m even thinking about using it as my hasty bag for SAR instead of my SG Avail.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv been drooling over this pack for a beater canoe and fishing pack. Iv got a 14r for day stuff but I know it would end up sopping wet in a canoe, or on the ice.
I'm thinking of trying one next year or the peregrine, my wife needs something bigger next year for hopefully her first western hunt. This may give me the oppritunity to pull the trigger.