New Kifaru bags being released this week!

Random question here, but why don't any of the new large packs have a dedicated sleeping bag pocket anymore? Does everyone really dig through all their crap to get their bag out of the bottom, then unload and reload it all on the bag the next morning? I've been running a T1 for years now, and really like that when I break camp every morning things are simple. Tent goes in the side pocket, bag , pad, and pillow in the lower compartment, and done! If I have 7-10 days of bagged food to dig through and repack on top...seems like a bit of a pain. Just me?

I do the exact same thing. My wife's pack bugs the heck out of me because it has to be unloaded every time she needs her sleeping bag.

AdamW

WKR
There are a lot of cool features getting rolled in to all these different current Kifaru offerings.

I'd love to see a consumer-driven design or two done through something like Giru before it was defunct. Even just something like check boxes for volume range, then a bunch of yes/no: roll top, side zip, side compression straps, integrated botoom/side bottle pouches, integrated pocket(s) on the face, etc. Then just see what they come up with.

Last edited:

deadwolf

WKR
Not too terribly much really, the tactical has a 1/8” thick frame sheet (which is what all the duplex frames used to have) and then when the hunting frame came out, it went to a 1/16” thick frame sheet. For me the potential to carry over 100lbs is worth the very minimal added weight that the extra thickness provides. There are also a couple extra tab loops on the frame sheet itself, those two things are about all that separate the two frames. I’m curious to see this new frame that exists, I am guessing it will be a revamp of the bikini or a new lightweight frame altogether. Either way, I’m not letting go of my tactical frame : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownbear

FNG
I am all for innovation, but coming out with a new frame every year is getting old.... It kills the resale value of older frames. I then have to buy the newest frame because I feel like i am missing out on something. It is getting expensive with not a whole bunch of new innovation. As Aron stated many years ago, Most everything has been tried by most every pack company at one time or another. I would be curious to know how many prototype frames get tested and determined not to be a good enough frame to put into production. Go easy on me Jordan, I love me my Kifaru.

I feel(t) similar to this as well. At least new gear is compatible with the old. As previously stated on their website (they) will never obsolete Kifaru gear. I hope they stay true to this attitude. I was thinking about starting a new thread called "Kifaru Classics". Perhaps I'll setup a little photo shoot this weekend.

Kifaru has finally done it. They created the one system do it all set up.

No longer do you need an extended back country back pack, tent, sleeping bag etc. The Kifaru Crater is your do all set up. Haul your 30 days worth of gear in, then simply crawl into the Crater and you have your tent/sleeping system right there.

lol

Seriously gonna have to get one of these.
I already turned my AMR into almost 10,000 ci system, I wonder how far the Crater can be taken-Native, spot scope pocket, 3 large belt pouches and a guide lid.
:)
So glad Aron is at Kifaru. We might be stuck with 5500 size bags.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not too terribly much really, the tactical has a 1/8” thick frame sheet (which is what all the duplex frames used to have) and then when the hunting frame came out, it went to a 1/16” thick frame sheet. For me the potential to carry over 100lbs is worth the very minimal added weight that the extra thickness provides. There are also a couple extra tab loops on the frame sheet itself, those two things are about all that separate the two frames. I’m curious to see this new frame that exists, I am guessing it will be a revamp of the bikini or a new lightweight frame altogether. Either way, I’m not letting go of my tactical frame : )

I love my 28" tactical frame, Im not getting rid of itor my Fulcrum.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The Tactical frame has zero flex and that's what I'm looking for with a heavy pack. My Pack generally starts out heavy from long range gear or camera gear then just gets worse from there hopefully.

dotman

WKR
Kifaru has finally done it. They created the one system do it all set up.

No longer do you need an extended back country back pack, tent, sleeping bag etc. The Kifaru Crater is your do all set up. Haul your 30 days worth of gear in, then simply crawl into the Crater and you have your tent/sleeping system right there.

lol

Seriously gonna have to get one of these.
I already turned my AMR into almost 10,000 ci system, I wonder how far the Crater can be taken-Native, spot scope pocket, 3 large belt pouches and a guide lid.
:)
So glad Aron is at Kifaru. We might be stuck with 5500 size bags.

What’s funny, if I remember correctly Aron has slept inside of a Kifaru bag. Forget which model.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sometimes with my fulcrum,I put a medium pocket in the middle and put the butt of my rifle in there and strap it to the pack, the way that new lid has a split in the middle between pocks would help the rifle fit in nice and secure.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Turns out I'll be getting a hold of the Cavern to review, and I think Tony T is going to be getting the Crater.

I'm super interested to run it side by side with the Reckoning and just see how I'd pack this differently. Being able to get into the bag without taking my bow/rifle or tripod off the back will be super handy. But the big draw to the Reckoning was with the bag compressed, you could still get in the bag with the back zipper. On the Crater I see a potential "issue" with having the zipper on the side and wanting to get in the bag, you'll need to lose some compression unless you get in through the top. All just depends on how you pack, what you pack, what your hunting style is, etc.

It's impossible to make the "perfect" bag.. there has to be a give and take. Aron said on a podcast that if there's enough people wanting a specific idea of a pack, they're going to look into it and if the demand is there they will build it.. not just making new bags to make new bags. That's one of the most attractive things about Kifaru, they make a ton of bags to fit about every need and style of anyone, and every single one of them is built from practical and pretty strategic standpoints from everyone in the shop. I think they are doing a BA job!

Wheww.. I think I almost made my first rant on here! I just get a little tired of them getting bashed for making "too many" bags and a lot of bags that are "basically the same thing", or "just making bags to make them". Makes me turn into a crazy person....... alright I'm done.

Yup, I will be testing out the new pack as well. The lid looks slick, will have to try running it with and with out. This past year was the first season that I ran no lid on my pack. I never really missed it on top of the Reckoning but only time will tell.

Yeah it is something like that. I need to look at Aron’s video again. Was planning on doing a video this weekend of mine for the Rokslide channel. Anywaything in particular you’d like to see covered on it.. or put in it?

I'd like to see the pack(s) with a 1/4 or 1/3 load in it for some light day hunting.

I'd like to see the pack(s) with a 1/4 or 1/3 load in it for some light day hunting.