First timer

First post here that’s not in the FNG section, hope this is the right place.

I’m in the market for a pack, headed to MT in September, 5-7 day backpacking bow hunting elk. The last time I logged any miles with a pack frame it was an ALICE ruck. At the time I didn’t know they sucked. If it wasn’t for the internet I still probably wouldn’t know any different. What I had been eyeballing is a Eberlestock frame/drybag/and transformer pack. Pretty doable in the $400 ball park.

My question is this, how much better is a exo-mystery ranch-kuiu-insert high end pack here??

Money doesn’t grow on trees here but I don’t mind going a little north of that for quality stuff.

If it helps here’s a little info 6’2”, 235ish, known to break things, once bent an “unbendable” spoon but that’s another story, Pretty good shape. Grown up in the woods, haven’t spent much time in the mountains.

Any first hand experience here with similar setup?

I am in the same boat as you and am gearing up now. After much research I went with the Mystery Ranch Glacier for $349.00 It is about the same size as the Metcalf but doesn't have the load shelf. I spoke to MR and they said it is rated for 90 pounds. I have been doing weighted cardio with 50 pounds and really wouldn't want to go more than double that weight. I am going to add a kifaru grab- it and additional compression straps to cinch a game bag on the outside.

You can get this or the larger Terraplane for $399.99 on MooseJaw.com with a 30% rebate in points for your next purchase. I split my order n two to use the points as well as when you regster with them they also give you a code for 10% off your order. You can also find the MR Metcalf at Mountain Archery.com for $420 in multicam.

Good luck !

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I have been trying to find the right pack for years. I have bought Eberlerstock , KUIU, Sitka, MR and many more and multiple styles of each brand. My wife says I am a pack whore. I finally bought an EXO pack and have never looked back. Same frame with different sized bags and or meat shelves has been the ticket for me. American company with good customer service. A lot of their packs are in stock so you don't have to wait weeks for them. Pretty good accessories line also.

LightFoot

WKR
Just about any quality pack will work, but in today's market, there is one better just around the corner. Like others, I have tried eberlestock, badlands, kuiu, and others.

I am rolling with the kuiu right now because it works and it's what I have. I like it enough.

Eberlestock makes a great pack. I would probably still have the "just one" but my rifle/scope didn't fit the scabbard.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I think maybe the best way for me to describe my experience with packs is some were designed to carry stuff, and some were designed to carry weight. I’ve had Eberlestocks and while they had their good points when it came to putting gear in them, the belts just weren’t made for carrying weight well. Never tried Kifaru. I liked mystery ranch bags but the yoke left me wanting something different. Just for a little variety I will throw out Hill People Gear. At your height their Qui-ya pack would do what you need. 6000 cu/in and $450. Add one of their compression panels later if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
A month later I pulled the trigger on an Exo 5500 multicam. Should be here in few days.

I appreciate all the info from everybody