First heavy pack out nightmares

Timgunner

FNG
I have been a truck hunter for years and spent those years dragging whole deer. I have recently found the joys of the gutless method and quartering game for packing it out. It’s been fun until last week when I did my first solo hunt and solo pack- out. I only had to pack loaded about 1.5miles with two river crossings. The terrain was pretty easy with rolling hills and not much elevation. My pack has been fine for the three previous pack-outs the last of which I packed out all the meat from a muley doe about 3.5 miles. This time was different I felt terrible the whole time. The pack my Eberlestock main frame seemed to be over it’s limit. I did pack out a whole mule deer Buck with all 4 quarters, both Backstraps, both tenderloins, boned out neck and the flap meat outside, the ribs, the hide and headus the 20lbs of gear food and clothes that were already there and my 7lb rifle hanging on a gun bearer. I don’t know what the weight was but it was heavy. I had to strap on the pack sitting down and roll over to my hands and knees to stand up. The pack was a nightmare with this much weight. The hip belt was digging into my lumbar while putting unbearable pressure on my hips. I literally had to count my steps and force myself to go at least 20 steps before stopping to lean on my trekking poles to get the pressure off my hips. The shoulder straps were pinching my sides and putting lots of uncomfortable pressure on my shoulders and collar bones as well. It didn’t seem to matter how I tried to tighten the hip belt or shoulder straps it was just awful. It took me two hours to trudge the 1.5 miles back to the truck. I’m pretty sure I had the pack adjusted as best as I can to fit my back but maybe I’m just doing it wrong.

All that to say I’m looking for help picking a pack that is better suited to carrying heavy loads. What are the keys to selecting the right pack for my body type? How can I know which ones might fit me better without being able to try them on before ordering?

Thanks for the help in advance

Attachments

• 814AF9D6-C699-4DEA-A3E9-D789BCF948DD.jpeg
    814AF9D6-C699-4DEA-A3E9-D789BCF948DD.jpeg
    579.7 KB · Views: 178
OP
T

Timgunner

FNG
I have been looking hard at the EXO k4 for the last few days and it seems really well engineered and well made. Is it possible to use a different brand bag on the k4 frame? I have a Kifaru Stryker bag that I like to use for day hunts and has worked well on my other frame.

I haven't tried it but I don't think any other bags would work on the K4, they have a pretty unique attachment method.

I've owned them all at this point and the K4 is the best overall pack for me. SG and Kifaru are also very good, just gotta get the right pack for what you need.

Duh

WKR
I had your same pack frame before I bought a Kifaru. The Kifaru made a world of difference with heavy loads. Packing whole deer isn’t an issue for me anymore and heavy elk loads are manageable too.

I was bummed because I really liked the eberlestock and how bomb proof it was. I did multiple whole deer and elk pack outs with it and it never got easier.y shoulders and hips hurt. It also felt like I was constantly leaning over for relief. The Kifaru was a night and day difference.

For reference I have the duplex light and a Stryker XL. Have a little over 20 animals packed out with the Kifaru now. Only thing I wish I did different was get a grab it instead of the Sherman pocket. I think the heaviest I’ve had in the pack at once has been just under 175lbs but that was a short distance pack out and definitely not comfortable. My biggest gripe with the Kifaru has been the shoulder straps wearing out after two seasons and the K clips on the load lifters have come apart when I tried to roll onto my knees from the ground with a heavy elk load.

I’m also interested in the K4 but that’ll come after I break the Kifaru (I’m still trying).

The first pick is the eberlestock and the rest are the Kifaru with multiple elk quarters, extra meat, antlers, or whole mule deer.

Attachments

• IMG_6755.jpeg
    IMG_6755.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    704.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_4043.jpeg
    IMG_4043.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2900.jpeg
    IMG_2900.jpeg
    597.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_6613.jpeg
    IMG_6613.jpeg
    550.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_4049.jpeg
    IMG_4049.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2934.jpeg
    IMG_2934.jpeg
    568 KB · Views: 231
I had your same pack frame before I bought a Kifaru. The Kifaru made a world of difference with heavy loads. Packing whole deer isn’t an issue for me anymore and heavy elk loads are manageable too.

I was bummed because I really liked the eberlestock and how bomb proof it was. I did multiple whole deer and elk pack outs with it and it never got easier.y shoulders and hips hurt. It also felt like I was constantly leaning over for relief. The Kifaru was a night and day difference.

For reference I have the duplex light and a Stryker XL. Have a little over 20 animals packed out with the Kifaru now. Only thing I wish I did different was get a grab it instead of the Sherman pocket. I think the heaviest I’ve had in the pack at once has been just under 175lbs but that was a short distance pack out and definitely not comfortable. My biggest gripe with the Kifaru has been the shoulder straps wearing out after two seasons and the K clips on the load lifters have come apart when I tried to roll onto my knees from the ground with a heavy elk load.

I’m also interested in the K4 but that’ll come after I break the Kifaru (I’m still trying).

The first pick is the eberlestock and the rest are the Kifaru with multiple elk quarters, extra meat, antlers, or whole mule deer.
That doe 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Duh
I have been a truck hunter for years and spent those years dragging whole deer. I have recently found the joys of the gutless method and quartering game for packing it out. It’s been fun until last week when I did my first solo hunt and solo pack- out. I only had to pack loaded about 1.5miles with two river crossings. The terrain was pretty easy with rolling hills and not much elevation. My pack has been fine for the three previous pack-outs the last of which I packed out all the meat from a muley doe about 3.5 miles. This time was different I felt terrible the whole time. The pack my Eberlestock main frame seemed to be over it’s limit. I did pack out a whole mule deer Buck with all 4 quarters, both Backstraps, both tenderloins, boned out neck and the flap meat outside, the ribs, the hide and headus the 20lbs of gear food and clothes that were already there and my 7lb rifle hanging on a gun bearer. I don’t know what the weight was but it was heavy. I had to strap on the pack sitting down and roll over to my hands and knees to stand up. The pack was a nightmare with this much weight. The hip belt was digging into my lumbar while putting unbearable pressure on my hips. I literally had to count my steps and force myself to go at least 20 steps before stopping to lean on my trekking poles to get the pressure off my hips. The shoulder straps were pinching my sides and putting lots of uncomfortable pressure on my shoulders and collar bones as well. It didn’t seem to matter how I tried to tighten the hip belt or shoulder straps it was just awful. It took me two hours to trudge the 1.5 miles back to the truck. I’m pretty sure I had the pack adjusted as best as I can to fit my back but maybe I’m just doing it wrong.

All that to say I’m looking for help picking a pack that is better suited to carrying heavy loads. What are the keys to selecting the right pack for my body type? How can I know which ones might fit me better without being able to try them on before ordering?

Thanks for the help in advance
For some reason, KUIU doesnt get much love, but mine has been awesome. Their new suspension is great and I love their bag design. I have beat the hell out of it and hauled everything from Deer to moose with regular loads over 100lbs. Some of the moose loads were pushing 150.

First, take a solid 1/3 off of anybody's claimed pack out weight. That being said, any of the big 3 (exo, sg, kifaru) will serve you better than anything else. Be willing to pay return shipping, and try em all. Then decide which one you like the feel of best. But I'd put some miles on all of em before making a decision. I got a k4 this year, and it definitely took some breaking in and messing with different fit adjustments before I really started loving it

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

JohnB

WKR
I'd be curious what your pack weighed but I'd almost guess it was in the neighborhood of 150+ pounds. I weighed my similar sized 3 year old buck and with bone in quarters and a skinned head it was 118 lbs. Add in the ribs and the hide and maybe you get to 140. Plus rifle and 20 lbs of crap as well as your pack and I guess your pack was in the neighborhood of 175. That sounds hellaciously awful to me. Feel free to come up with your own version of the math but that sounds rough!!

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve had a few brands and the exo k4 really shines above 50lbs. The kifaru for me was to stiff on lighter loads but handled weight well, the sg cut into my shoulders to hard. I have a mystery ranch pintler currently for day stuff. And k4 5,000 for back country setups. And I’m not enjoying my last week with the mr which I usta think the world of,,,,, until I got a k4. Only time of the year they are on sale, I’d highly recommend one! You won’t regret it. Watch all the videos, tons of great information in those.

jimh406

WKR
Any pack can be overloaded. By your description, I think you exceeded the limit. It would have been interesting for you to weigh all of it.

There may be no pack that would work in that one trip. That might be a case when it would make more sense to do two trips.

OP
T

Timgunner

FNG
I'd be curious what your pack weighed but I'd almost guess it was in the neighborhood of 150+ pounds. I weighed my similar sized 3 year old buck and with bone in quarters and a skinned head it was 118 lbs. Add in the ribs and the hide and maybe you get to 140. Plus rifle and 20 lbs of crap as well as your pack and I guess your pack was in the neighborhood of 175. That sounds hellaciously awful to me. Feel free to come up with your own version of the math but that sounds rough!!
I didn’t want to post a guess at the weight because I have no way to confirm it but it was more than I will ever do again with that pack.

First, take a solid 1/3 off of anybody's claimed pack out weight. That being said, any of the big 3 (exo, sg, kifaru) will serve you better than anything else. Be willing to pay return shipping, and try em all. Then decide which one you like the feel of best. But I'd put some miles on all of em before making a decision. I got a k4 this year, and it definitely took some breaking in and messing with different fit adjustments before I really started loving it

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When guys are talking about how light they are going in, you actually need to double it.

OP
T

Timgunner

FNG
When it doubt, 2 trip it. Would of probably been time ahead and saved on the knees.
I stood there staring at the dead deer for about 30 minutes trying to decide how to handle the chore 😂. Ultimately I didn’t want to have to cross the river 4 more times or I would’ve taken two trips. I guess I could have crossed the river the two times I was forced to and dropped half the load there and came back for it. I didn’t think about that at the time.