Pants for Colorado November 3rd/4th Season

Hey guys my brother and I are planning to head to Colorado this year and it's going to be in November. I glanced at some average temps for that time of year and it looks like there is potential for some pretty cold weather. I'm trying to decide what to do for pants. I have some Kuhl Renegades and prana zions. I will be picking up a merino layer also. Puffy pants look like they would be pretty nice for sitting and glassing but we've never been before and we're not really sure what we're going to to be getting into yet as far as the geography and whether we'll be glassing or hunting in timber or whatever. I've also been looking at the Sitka 90% pants. They have a little polar tech fleece lining so with these I might not need a puffy pants layer. Do any if you like the 90% pants? I'm shorter so I'm thinking the first lite are going to be way to long but I may have to get the pants legs shortened either way so I don't want anything with a zippered leg.

captchet

FNG
I wore zion's and Kuiu guide pants this past 3rd rifle. Both were fine, although it was very warm. It was colder the previous season and the guide pants were fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the first time in four years I did a November hunt in Colorado. All my clothes have been selected for archery season. It worked wearing everything except if a storm or cold front came in. So I bought the kenai pants for next time.

I liked the kenai pants because they go under therefore I can use them for work with out breaking dress code. They are a 3/4 length so they may fit you without hemming.

My only reservation about the 90% is they still need a shell if bad weather hits. I almost bought them when I only hunted October and November.

This year I wore Sitka Timberline's during 1st - 3rd rifle this past year in CO and at times I was hot. It was an extremely warm October and November. One day I wore Sitka Ascents with a merino base layer because the Timberlines were bloody and they worked fine. If it was a usual October/November I think the Timberlines would have worked well. I plan on using them again this upcoming hunting season for 1st - 3rd season. If you don't like the fit of Sitka, then I'd look at the Kuiu Guide pants. I don't have experience with First Lite or the 90% pants.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned above, it was hot this past year, last year as well. That said, the weather can change instantly here, especially at high elevations. Here's my $.02:

Look at the Kuiu Guide Pants. They aren't long and run pretty true to size. With these pants, and a merino base layer, I'm pretty comfortable hiking around the coldest of mornings in November in Colorado, as well as sitting and glassing for 15-20 minutes then moving to do it more. I would not get insulated down pants, or synthetic for that matter, unless you'll be doing 75% or more glassing to walking/hiking. The key to the Kuiu system is the hip zip vents. These allow you to dress warmer for when you're sitting/glassing, and open the vents to let heat out while you're climbing/hiking/moving. I agree with the FL pants being longer, but they are a great option too. They lack the hip zips, but they are warm as well, just not as warm as the guide pants.

For a full review, check out this: Kuiu Guide Pants, Guide Jacket, and Guide Gloves - Hunting Pant Jacket Glove Review - YouTube

Good Luck!

I used the Timberline pants and Sitka puffy pants last November for a late season Montana elk hunt. As a base layer I wore the 3/4 aero wool from first lite. These 3 pieces kept my lower body nice and warm. I'm a big fan of the puffy pants. If there's a chance of cold weather, they will be in my pack.. They are one of my favorite pieces of gear. Any of the pants you mentioned will be able to get the job done. Just make sure you've got a layering system. That's the key.

OP
aclawrence
Thanks everyone, looks like there are several good options. Nice video ColoradoHunterHiker. Not gonna lie, I haven't really looked at the Kuiu stuff that much just since there seems to be kind of a bad something or another going on there. Not sure about the public land deal or whatever it is but I do like the look of those guide pants. I'll check them out more closely. I've got plenty of time to figure it out.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I wore Cabela's brand bdu poly/cotton blend pants on my WY hunt last year. It snowed 10" during our hunt. They worked great. I wish somebody made a loose fitting pant like that in 100% poly. I'm trying to like the zion pants, but it's a struggle. I think after I correct several of their flaws, they will be ok.

OP
aclawrence
Interesting, you didn't have problems with the cotton getting wet? Most people love the Pranas. The Kuhls are my favorite but I like them because they are no so loose, so they probably wouldn't be what your looking for either. I was just on Cabelas looking for some cheaper pants for turkey hunting.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I very much like the Prana material, just not the cut or some other layouts of the pants. The snow out there wasn't as wet as it is here. If I got snow on my pants, I just brushed it off. It never stuck or got my pants wet. Also, it didn't feel as cold out there as it does here.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I won't ask you to drink or not drink the kuiu kool-aid, make your own decision. I do believe there is no harm in researching their products then find what you like elsewhere. For example you may like the features of the guide pants, the skre hardscrabble look to be similar and have the hip vents too.