The quest for the right mid weight pants

My only issue with them was that they were a bit loud for whitetails... are they better now? I really love SG but as a whitetail gut who pretends to be an elk hunter they just dont cross over for me a ton
They are a bit loud I guess. Quieter as they break in. I’m not a white tail hunter though
My only issue with them was that they were a bit loud for whitetails... are they better now? I really love SG but as a whitetail gut who pretends to be an elk hunter they just dont cross over for me a

OP
E
I just buy attacks a size up and take the waist in. It’s not ideal but it helps with the skinny thighs.
My issue is the waist already fits with lots of room. I taped my quads and they've grown an additional 2 inches since last hunting season so I'd have to go to a size 38 or larger attack and I'm still not sure I'd have the room I need to be able to sit kneel and climb in them. I really loved them so it sucks

Agross

WKR
Have you tried the fleece lined wrangler outdoor pants? All I used to wear all winter. Recently switched to the Eddie Bauer Costco fleece lined pants that are basically the same as the wranglers but aren’t quite so snug fitting.

OP
E
Have you tried the fleece lined wrangler outdoor pants? All I used to wear all winter. Recently switched to the Eddie Bauer Costco fleece lined pants that are basically the same as the wranglers but aren’t quite so snug fitting.
Haven't, can't find them anywhere locally!

Sitka mountain pants are just a little warmer than Traverse and the timberlines are a little warmer than Mountain (with added protection at knees and butt). Dakota is a decent amount warmer than timberline. I wear Dakota ice fishing with no base under them when I would add one with any of the others. I would not wear Dakota if doing much exertion they are a warm pant.

For hunting I have found I tend to go from intercept/apex to timberline and skip the others. I fill the gap with base layers. Kinda like gloves I go from a fairly lite glove (with maybe having a hot hands warmer in the palm) to a mitt and skip in between.

Sounds like my thigh is probably the size of your calf, lol. So can’t really recommend a pant that works in that area. But I tend to choose a light pant weight and let the base layer take care of the warmth part. I wear KUIU Katana’s, my favorite pant, year round and have three base layer levels I use. Four if you include no base layer. A zip off light weight base layer gets me through a wide range of temps.

ID_Matt

WKR
First Lite corrugate foundry have been my favorite for mid weights. Something about the fit is just perfect for me. Looser in the thigh but tapered down towards the ankle.

Since they're not widely available in store... are there any other pants you'd compare them to?
The only other higher end hunting pants I own are Kuiu Attacks and Kuiu Chinook ( discontinued). They have a little more durable material than the attacks. More room in the thigh, lots of pockets, which I like, but not everyone does. They have knee pad pockets with adjustable tabs. You have to buy knee pads if you want them. They are kind of busy with all the pockets and zippers, but they have been pretty indestructible for me. I’ve seen them recently on Black Ovis / Camofire for under $100. I’ve also used wranglers and light weight Duluth. These are definitely more mid weight and durable. They also are compatible with Kryptek suspenders. They remind me a little of the Army combat pants issued to Infantry and SOF in theater ( if you are familiar with those), but with different material.

Last edited:
OP
E
Sounds like my thigh is probably the size of your calf, lol. So can’t really recommend a pant that works in that area. But I tend to choose a light pant weight and let the base layer take care of the warmth part. I wear KUIU Katana’s, my favorite pant, year round and have three base layer levels I use. Four if you include no base layer. A zip off light weight base layer gets me through a wide range of temps.
I'm not that darn big just yet! Hahaha

I haven't really gotten into the light baselayer bottoms just yet... but I can see thst being great. Last year I wore my ascent pants with a 250 merino base and that was really great for the cold days in Colorado that would warm up mid day.

Which zip off base do you like?

Speaking of which, I should go try them on.... if I can't fit them anymore I'm going to be so bummed.

OP
E
The only other higher end hunting pants I own are Kuiu Attacks and Kuiu Chinook ( discontinued). They have a little more durable material than the attacks. More room in the thigh, lots of pockets, which I like, but not everyone does. They have knee pad pockets with adjustable tabs. You have to buy knee pads if you want them. They are kind of busy with all the pockets and zippers, but they have been pretty indestructible for me. I’ve seen them recently on Black Ovis / Camofire for under $100. I’ve also used wranglers and light weight Duluth. These are definitely more mid weight and durable. They also are compatible with Kryptek suspenders. They remind me a little of the Army combat pants issued to Infantry and SOF in theater ( if you are familiar with those), but with different material.
They're on amazon right now in my potential size for 50$. I'll grab a pair and try them! I always assumed they were a light weight but it sounds about perfect

They're on amazon right now in my potential size for 50$. I'll grab a pair and try them! I always assumed they were a light weight but it sounds about perfect
Yeah for that price and you can always return them on Amazon. hope I steered you right about the weight. The attacks are probably a little warmer and the Alios are “light”, but definitely what I would consider mid season. I tend to run hot but they are definitely heavier material than wranglers or other true lightweight pants. Their Valhalla pant is lightweight

Last edited:
OP
E
Yeah for that price and you can always return them on Amazon. hope I steered you right about the weight. The attacks are probably a little warmer and the Alios are “light”, but definitely what I would consider mid season. I tend to run hot but they are definitely heavier material than wranglers or other true lightweight pants. Their Valhalla pant is lightweight
I ordered a pair! Fingers crossed that they fit the bill, and it sounds like they just might!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was looking for something in between the Ascent I use early season and the Timberline I was using late season and tried the Traverse’s. I wore them a lot last season and was pretty happy with them.

Someone had brought up they were wider cut at the ankle vs the Ascent, which they are, but if I’m wearing the Traverse I’m also wearing gaiters so not an issue for me.

I'm not that darn big just yet! Hahaha

I haven't really gotten into the light baselayer bottoms just yet... but I can see thst being great. Last year I wore my ascent pants with a 250 merino base and that was really great for the cold days in Colorado that would warm up mid day.

Which zip off base do you like?

Speaking of which, I should go try them on.... if I can't fit them anymore I'm going to be so bummed.
Haha. I used to have strong legs. Never big legs though. Born skinny.

I use three pair but mostly wear my KUIU Peloton 97. I can get by with those and the Kutana pants down to the mid to low 30’s in the stand. They seem to have a high warmth to weight ratio. Mid weight I use Pro Merino 200 and heavy weight the First Lite Furnace. All zip off. I doubt I ever use anything but zip offs again.

jhoff04

FNG
First Lite corrugate foundry have been my favorite for mid weights. Something about the fit is just perfect for me. Looser in the thigh but tapered down towards the ankle.
I’ve had the same experience with the catalyst foundry (which I’m assuming is just a fleeced lined version of the corrugates?) and absolutely love them. Only complaint is the full length side zips constantly getting stuck. Also, both my dad and I found the sizing to be way off for some reason. We both had to go up two waist sizes. Not sure how FL missed the boat on that.