Critique my backcountry clothing pack list

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Going up to NW Colorado Sept 14-24, 9-11k elevation, approx. 4 tough miles of hiking to spike camp. I have everything else pretty well dialed in, but clothing is my big "IF" factor. Trying to keep weight down and run the bare minimum obviously. Please tear apart my list and see if I am missing something.

On person:
FL corrugate guides
FL llano SS
FL sock and skivvies
FL gaiters
mechanics leather gloves
ball cap

In the pack:

FL llano LS
FL llano SS
FL Chama 1/4zip
FL Allegheny bottoms
3pr FL socks
Another pair of corrugates (thought about swapping these for kanabs in case its cold cold)
2pr FL boxers
beanie
warm gloves
neck gaiter
FL puffy

I know, I know - walking First Lite billboard! But I like the stuff. Thanks for your help!

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
If i read this right your taking 3 shirts in, why so many? How about raingear, what is the typical weather like?. I'm going in around Gunnison at same time and I'm definitely taking packable raingear, its a must when I cant get back to the truck. Looks good other than that IMHO.

2nd taking some rain gear .... only needed for 1-1/2 days last year but darn glad I had it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Didn't put rain gear on here because it is coming with me no matter what. Only bringing a Cabelas Rain Space jacket - had not planned on bringing rain pants since those corrugates dry out so quick.

OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
If i read this right your taking 3 shirts in, why so many? How about raingear, what is the typical weather like?. I'm going in around Gunnison at same time and I'm definitely taking packable raingear, its a must when I cant get back to the truck. Looks good other than that IMHO.[/QUOTE

Bringing the extra SS to put on at night, I tend to sweat profusely, so its kinda a reasonable comfort factor to put on a dry shirt right before bed.

I would personally lose one ss, one pair of socks, one pair of boxers and one pair of pants. Really now that I think about it I'd lose both ss and pack at least a rain coat.

I like clean clothes. If it is a 10 day hunt, you can always leave the vast majority in camp. No need to suffer unnecessarily.

We will be in CO that time frame as well, but north of Gunnison.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you sweat a lot consider an aero wool shirt or 2 instead of so many llano's.

I'm very familiar with nw Colorado and it can be cold, holding around freezing till almost noon. My preference would be one more insulation piece instead of shirts.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd ditch the 2nd pair of pants unless I didn't have to carry them. Pants are bulky, I'd rather not pack in an extra pair.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes ditch the extra pants. Depending on how you hunt consider some inexpensive rain pants. The area has been wet and will hold moisture long after it stops raining. Unless you have a sitting pad or chair the rain pants will keep your butt dry. Also for wind if glassing a lot.

I'll be about the same elevation as you - camp around 10k and my clothes are going to be as follows. This is for 8 nights

Wearing:
Kuiu Attack Pants
FL Aerowool
Smartwool Socks
Ball Cap
Fingerless gloves
Neck Gaiter
Kenetrek Gaiters

Bringing:
Beanie
Extra pair full gloves (underarmor)
Rain Jacket/Pants
Cabela's Polar Weight Top
Cabela's Mid Weight Bottoms
Medium weight Fleece Vest
FL Puffy
2 Socks
1 Underwear
1 Cabela's long sleeve T (it's 'their Z-zone stuff; but like you; it's more for sleeping. If extremely cold I will throw it on)

I'd say you're right on Par; if anything I would drop the other pair of pants.

You're taking a ton of clothes! Definitely not necessary... you can still be comfortable by choosing what you wear and when. If this was my list here's what I'd do:

On person:
FL corrugate guides
FL llano SS
FL sock and skivvies
FL gaiters - Do you truly need these?
mechanics leather gloves
ball cap

In the pack:

FL llano LS - Keep, but only to sleep in or alternate with your SS you'll be wearing
FL llano SS - Remove
FL Chama 1/4zip
FL Allegheny bottoms - Remove unless you plan on sitting around a lot or hanging out on glaciers.
3pr FL socks
Another pair of corrugates (thought about swapping these for kanabs in case its cold cold) - Remove
2pr FL boxers
beanie
warm gloves
neck gaiter
FL puffy

Edit: If you expect it to be pretty cold you might throw in a light fleece also. For cooler temps I'll pair a Halstead with my Chama and a 60g puffy

Last edited:
Going up to NW Colorado Sept 14-24, 9-11k elevation, approx. 4 tough miles of hiking to spike camp. I have everything else pretty well dialed in, but clothing is my big "IF" factor. Trying to keep weight down and run the bare minimum obviously. Please tear apart my list and see if I am missing something.

On person:
FL corrugate guides
FL llano Ls
FL sock and skivvies
FL gaiters
mechanics leather gloves
ball cap

In the pack:

FL Chama 1/4zip
3pr FL socks
1pr FL boxers
beanie
FL puffy
Rain jacket ultralight
Base layer pants.

I know, I know - walking First Lite billboard! But I like the stuff. Thanks for your help!

How I'd roll

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

On person:
FL corrugate guides
FL llano SS
FL sock and skivvies
FL gaiters
mechanics leather gloves
ball cap

In the pack:

FL llano LS
FL llano SS
FL Chama 1/4zip
FL Allegheny bottoms
3pr FL socks
Another pair of corrugates (thought about swapping these for kanabs in case its cold cold)
2pr FL boxers
beanie
warm gloves
neck gaiter
FL puffy

I would say skip the second pair of pants for sure, probably skip the other short sleeve shirt and even the long sleeve since your bringing the chama. If your doing hard hikes, I usually bring a synthetic cut off or shirt that I do the long hikes with. That way your main shirt doesn't get so funky. Possibly ditch the allegheny bottoms as well.. it's only going to be chilly for a short period of time in the morning then your going to want to take those things off. But that being said if you'd feel better taking them I'd do it. I'd also throw at least a rain jacket in as well. I'd also very much consider a fleece pullover of some kind.. their halstead is great.

Pretty solid setup other than those things, and that's personal preference kinda. I'd definitely say a hard no on the second pair of pants though.. I'd almost guarantee you won't really need them.

MtnMuley

WKR
For your hunt, I'd skip the beanie, neck gaiter, Chama 1/4 zip, and Llano LS, and add a Wilken and Chama hoody. Just my preference.

OP
Coyote813

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for your time and input. I will kill the 2nd pair of pants, a llano and a pair of socks and undies. Will add my fleece layer as several have recommended! Greatly appreciate the input!