critique my sept elk backpack list

Haneydew

FNG
I'd lose the bear spray, the tripod and scope. Possibly the gaiters depending on the forcast. Lose some of the water. That's 2.2 pounds per liter. not hard to free up a few pounds there. You will have to find water anyway. I personally like to sleep in my hammock. 1.1 lbs. With two blankets, 1.1 lbs each. And two tarps, one underneath and one over. 10'x10'. Just under a pound each. That's right at 5 lbs Total weight and much better on my back than sleeping on the ground. It's much easier to find two trees on the mountain than it is level ground. My pack is 44-48 lbs. For 5 days. Unless you have the absolute best and lightest made everything, that's about where you can expect to be according to all of my research.

Cut the 6L bag, southern CO has a lot of water, maybe if you're going somewhere dry you could replace it with another 2L bag
Cut either the rain pants or the gaiters, you don't need both. Personally, if it's dry I'd carry neither.
Cut the Alleghany bottoms, unless you are easily chilled. The temps won't be that severe.
Cut out base layer tops, only wear one
Cut out spare pants, you only need one pair of pants
Cut out spare boxers, wash as needed and put them right back on
Cut the gloves and facemask, elk vision isn't that good
Socks are extremely important, bring one spare pair (wash, hang to dry on the outside of your pack)
Seriously doubt that a tripod and spotter will be worth carrying for an elk hunt in southern CO

Since you're going in with two buddies you should divide up spare equipment like: spare batteries, a spare headlamp, Allen wrenches, Leatherman.

One thing I'd add is a pair of nail clippers. ;) All jokes aside, I would do that

You better cut some serious weight. Loose a bunch of extra clothes. Learn to cut the string on the spotter and tripod now or wish you had later. For finding elk they are irrelevant. Drop those two and lose 7 pounds real quick. Add in the clothes you don't need and you are at 10 pounds. Loose the allen wrenches and leather man and lose two more pounds. Or split them and loose only one. Your sleep system is heavy. But, unless you spend BIG bucks, it's hard to get it light. Check into a quilt next year. Mine weighs 28 ounces and I've had it to the teens comfortable.

Anyways, That 40 pounds you'll be down to this year is still a powerful amount to lug around for 8 days. Better hope you find them quick and can spike camp instead.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tough call on water. I suggest doing your homework specific to where you’re hunting with people that have first hand recent knowledge.

overland

FNG
A lot of folks have you ditching the boxers and socks... In my opinion you'll be glad to have them.

2L+6L does sound like a lot of water. I'd carry the 2L plus a (full) one liter nalgene (wrap some duct tape around the bottle).

Not sure about smell with your UA choice but wool is best.

Those Cabela's guide pants are waterproof, right? If so, ditch the extra rain pants.

Ditch the pillow... use your sleeping bag case and stuff with clothes.

Not sure how much food you're bringing always bring more than you think you'll need.

I didn't see a camp stove and pot on your list... DO NOT expect to be able to light a fire to cook for every meal.

Remember to not double up on what your partner is bringing.

Add whiskey!

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Sensible cuts but as mentioned earlier, 30 feet of paracord is not all that much and you might wish you had a lot more. That's the only place where I'd add. As for extra socks and underwear, the underwear are a nice comfort item that are light, but they will be funky and you'll always be washing them anyway... but if you gotta put miles in, dry socks are in the necessity category.

Owenst7

WKR
SmartWater bottles weigh 1.5 ounces/liter, and will stretch to 3-4 times their size before failing.

Nalgene bottles weigh 6.2 ounces/liter and can crack when frozen.

Lawson glowire, straight UHMWPE/Dyneema, or even Dacron is much stronger than paracord, weighs much less, and unties with less frustration.

I hunt with 50 lbs carried (including bino harness, rifle, water, food, etc...don't understand why people omit these things) for 5-7 days at 2400 cal/day. That is with 3 liters of water, although I rarely carry more than a liter at a time since I'm usually not far away from a stream. That weight includes a spotter and tripod (about 6 lbs).

Do you need the GPS for the area you're in? All I've ever used mine for is tracking my pace and knowing elevation. Nifty, but when it drowned on a whitewater trip a couple months ago, I realized how little I use it. I'm far too impatient to use it when I have 7.5 minute Topos with me.

What's your phone weigh?

I don't own any UA products, but I have plenty of merino stuff that takes hours to wear dry and frequently gets bumped for more durable and functional synthetic blends. Use what is comfortable for you. My merino stuff stinks just as much as anything else after the third day. It also usually has holes in it the third day. Maybe the holes attribute to less surface area for bacteria. Perhaps I should just wear less clothing.

Last edited:
OP
N

nturpin

FNG
I appreciate all the help. I have been trying to cull some unneeded items and loose some pack weight. One reason I don't have a stove listed is my two buddies both have one (Msr reactor 1.7l and jetboil micromo 1l) Not sure that we need a third.
I have changed out some of my clothes to lighter merino wool tops and dropped the extra pants.
The 6l msr bladder is just for camp dirty water. I wasn't going to fill it and hike. Mainly to have available water at camp if we set up longer than one night.
I have added more paracord, and expanded my firstaid. as well as dropping the allen wrench set and leatherman. A buddy also has a set.
I will probably have the spotter and tripod at the trailhead i can go back and get it if I really need it.

The only place I know can loose weight but not sure I can afford to is my sleep system. I am currently just below 10lbs. I should have bought better the first time! my tent is right at 5.25lbs, sleeping bag 2.75 lbs and pad is 1.6. I know I could cut 5 real quick but not sure I can pay the extra money. I might go hammock and tarp if the weather looks decent and drop all but the sleeping bag.

Whip

WKR
You're on the right track. That sleep system is heavy for sure, but only you can decide how much you can afford to spend to upgrade it. You'll save the most weight by upgrading the tent first, but will also be the most expensive. You might try throwing a "Wanted To Buy" post on the classifieds here and see what might pop up. Lots of guys have way more gear than they need. (Don't ask how I know)

A cheaper option to replace your tent would be going floor less or trying a tarp. My wife made me a sweet tarp that I can pitch a variety of ways. Weighs next to nothing and has many uses besides a shelter. Another option to look at would be a Mountain Smith LT tent. They can be found for <$100 and capable of sleeping two guys.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a sleep system, you can cut about 3 pounds for a $80-100 investment by getting the Mountain Smith LT. I think it weighs just over 2 pounds. You have trekking poles on your list so you can dual purpose, or cut a set of sticks. It's not a kifaru, but it is pretty bomb proof and probably one of the best values for the $$.

As for Hammock, I use one, and unless you have spent a few nights in one previously, you will want to BEFORE your trip. Hammocks are not for everyone, and can be finicky to pitch until you get some experience. Overall, not a ton of weight savings as you will still need your pad (or an under quilt) and bag.

-dan

overland

FNG
As to your sleep system...

(1) there are a lot of great, light-weight bags, tents, pads, etc. out there but they all cost $... that will be up to you. I'm certainly in the camp of buy once, cry once when it comes to camping gear. Like others have stated, you can find some great deals on-line (ebay, craigslist, camofire, etc.).

(2) do not underestimate how quickly the weather changes in Colorado. It can be super calm and warm during the day and windy and cold at night. Trust me... I live here. Coming from Virginia, I was very surprised how drastically the mercury drops at night on camping trips. I always bring a beanie to use when sleeping. Obviously, elevation plays a big role here.

No need to bring an extra stove if your buds have one... just remember to bring enough fuel.

Oh, and did I say bring whiskey?

Mrfoozle

FNG
I didn't see any Moleskin, and (maybe or) Gorilla Tape for treating those hot spots on your feet ASAP as they develop. Maybe thats in your first aid kit though. Can't imagine not having those two light weight items!

nrh6.7

WKR
I agree about the Mountain Smith LT. 2lbs and less than $100 is hard to beat. You could even run a stove in it solo. The Granite Mountain from Jimmy's Tarps is another great option at 1lb but about twice the cost.