Which vest?

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendations on a warm vest to wear? Looking for something that isn't bulky. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Any recommendations on a warm vest to wear? Looking for something that isn't bulky. Thanks

I had the same question. I am thinking of cutting the sleeves out of an old fleece pullover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
my go to vest has been the Sitka jet stream, it layers well and is a great piece of outerwear in its own right. always amazed me the range of temps I can wear it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I order a springer vest and a uncompaghre vest from first lite. I ordered them in a size small and they fit great, even though I normally wear a medium in all of the rest of the FL I own. So far they've worked well for me.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kuiu Guide and Superdown vests. I like both. The Superdown wears great to keep you warm without adding bulk to the sleeve. It packs down super small and is lightweight. I haven't used the Guide vest much yet. When I was going to get it out, I just end up used the hooded jacket instead.

OP
R

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
my go to vest has been the Sitka jet stream, it layers well and is a great piece of outerwear in its own right. always amazed me the range of temps I can wear it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
What kind of temps? Looking for something 35-50 degrees. Looked at the Kelvin lite, nat gear. Those aren't windproof though

Trial153

WKR
What kind of temps? Looking for something 35-50 degrees. Looked at the Kelvin lite, nat gear. Those aren't windproof though

45 -60 with correct layers ..

The Costco Pardox down vests weigh 8 ounces in an XL, come with a great stuff sack (although I stuff into the vest's pocket) and cost $25 in Canada. Just bought a new grey one to go with my well used brown one from a few years ago. Great for the price and weight! I also like the Cabelas Outfitter Camo Berber vest with windstopper and several other fleece vests. That said, I don't backpack hunt with a vest, rather I like the Kuiu Superdown hooded jacket for it's compact size and great warm...8 ounces for the old style I have in XL.

WoodBow

WKR
The FL uncompaghre vest is a nice piece. I am not a fan of the springer. Merino is heavy and makes a poor insulator. I'd take a fleece vest over my springer any day.

OP
R

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
Any other suggestions?

Another vote for the Sitka Jetstream vest if you're looking for windbreaking. Also have an Eddie Bauer down vest from the clearance page that is great.

Jimss

WKR
I have a Cabelas polarfleece vest with windstopper in it. It works like a charm! I wore it this weekend scouting for bighorn sheep at 11000 to 14,000 elevation. It actually snowed and I was toasty warm with layers! I often wear the vest with just a shirt or layer with a 90's jacket. One thing you may want to add is a neck gator. They don't take much room in a pack and boy do they add warmth.

OP
R

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Cabelas polarfleece vest with windstopper in it. It works like a charm! I wore it this weekend scouting for bighorn sheep at 11000 to 14,000 elevation. It actually snowed and I was toasty warm with layers! I often wear the vest with just a shirt or layer with a 90's jacket. One thing you may want to add is a neck gator. They don't take much room in a pack and boy do they add warmth.
Trying to pm you. Message inbox is full

And if you want to go very, very light (weight) and quite warm with minimal bulk....Arcteryx Cerium LT Down Vest. I just picked one up at a 30% discount and it is one very fine top-end option.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
down will be lighter for the same warmth and pack smaller, but syn is a little nicer if used on the move or inclement weather as it resists moisture better

I've had good luck w/ the Kelvin Lite vest- covers a pretty wide range of temps used in conjunction w/ a base or base and mid layer