First Lite Obsidian v Kuiu Attack Pants

Hey all - quick question regarding these two pants. I understand that these are not apples to apples but they seem to be the two best by both of these companies. I actually just ordered the Obsidian's (without ever seeing them) and I'v starting to get a bit worried about the durability of them. As a background - I hunt mainly in the midwest (Ohio), alot of tree stand/ground blind/climber stands. Don't do a ton of "bushwhacking" but definetely run in to some thicker stuff every once in a while. AND - we go out to Colorado/Montana/Wyoming at least once a year.

I'm worried that these things are going to get torn up pretty quick being in thicker stuff. Any input? Kuiu's attack pants seem to be a lot more durable but again, I don't have any experience with either of them.

Any input helps, a ton. Thanks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ive found the Attacks to be quite durable and they have become my favorite all around pant, super comfortable and functional I have several pairs of them at this point.

Ive used the obsidians a little bit and didnt tear them up but didnt do any heavy work with them either, sorry Im not more help.

I piled into first lite a couple of years ago. Kanabs, guides, north branch and rain pants. I still have a couple of pair of kanabs but not the obsidian. I had the crotch in my gen 1 kanab rip out. I have 2 pair of the gen twos that I will wear until they die off. They are thwarting my plans by holding up pretty well. I don't know about the obsian but the first lite pants have all felt a bit off in terms of fit for me. Kanabs, north branch and even the guides, which are a favorite of the bunch seem to have an odd fit here or there - calves, butt, thighs.

So I am moving away from their pants and have a pair of Sitka ands some kuiu. Of the three, the kuiu fit the best. I like the tiburon for hot weather. The attacks are awesome. The alpine was my favorite in terms of fit and features until I found out they did not have a DWR on my first hunt with them so I returned them. The attacks just fit well and they move super welll due to the stretch material. They are fast becoming my go to pant and I just bought a second pair. As far a durability, they have the same liner on the pockets as on my guide jacket, which can snag a bit and the fabric can pull and pill here and there. Nothing that seems to affect function.

Comparing the kanab and the attack (since I don't have the obsidian) they seem about the same in durability so far. I would give a warmth edge to the Kanab and they are probably quieter. The attacks fit and move much better. Between the two I own, the attack is spending a lot more time in the woods. I imagine the obsidian may be a step up in terms of fit or function but I probably won't be in the market for a while until I run down my inventory.

As far as solid colors go, I do applaud kuiu for rolling out some variety. I don't go to a lot of trouble to match head to toe in the woods but like solid pants and camo tops. I find the solid pants get multitasked too. My "hunting" pants are finding there way into my hiking, fishing, boating wardrobe and my weekend duds as well. I would love to see Sitka roll out a few more solids.

gansettx

FNG
I'm almost exclusively First Lite and the only Kuiu piece I own is a Guide jacket...which is an awesome article of clothing.

I do not yet own the new Obsidian but do have the Kanab 2.0 which the just the precursor model. I can say as far as durability goes I've had them for 2 seasons, I've hunted Montana early archery twice and hunt WV whitetail from September to November. I've had zero issues with durability, spend plenty of time busting through multi-floral rose bushes and have crawled hands and knees after Pronghorn. Mine still have many seasons left and with the wool Reinforced with rip-stop nylon I don't see a change anytime soon. That being said when I do need a new pair it will more than likely be the Obsidians.

One huge benefit for me is that wool fends off odor better than any synthetics. I find that a warm day in synthetics is painful for most people around me! ;)

rm06

WKR
A bunch of good info here so far. I currently own the Kanab 2s and a pair of Canadian-sewn Attacks. I actually hunted a couple days of archery elk this year in the Obsidian; I can tell you they are lighter than the Kanab 2.0 and may have a slight edge in breathability due to the lack of the lining material in the upper 1/3 of the pant. It was cool and rainy for the most part but they were not uncomfortable and I feel that wool pants in general do a good with regulating temperature with in a 40* window (35-75* F). I busted through 300 yards of willow 3-7' tall going to and from camp, sat on rocks, slid down scree and dirt hills and they held up great with no signs of damage. I absolutely hate having bulky or heavy objects in my pockets, front, back or cargo and as a result I no longer own the Obsidians and I'm sticking with the Kanabs as I don't feel there is any appreciable difference, also I will have to say the Obsidians had a definite M.C. Hammer bagginess to them out of my sample size of one.

The Attacks are generally my default pant. They fit me very well and handle most anything I can throw at them however they do get a bit uncomfortable at 75* and above. I don't know if the current crop of Kuiu pants are the same or as well thought of but I plan on wearing these until they fall to tatters.

TFord250

FNG

I'm worried that these things are going to get torn up pretty quick being in thicker stuff. Any input? Kuiu's attack pants seem to be a lot more durable but again, I don't have any experience with either of them.

Any input helps, a ton. Thanks.

I don't personally own a pair of obsidians, I have the FL Guide britches. BUT a buddy that went desert muley hunting with me has a pair and loved them. Thrashing through mesquite, cactus and cedar draws, sliding down hills, crawling, the pants held up no sign of wear (both the guide and obsidians. While They don't offer much protection from the said mesquite/cactus (a lot of stickers in my rear end) the material seemed to hold up well. I was sweating my arse off by noon(90*+) with the guide pants and aerowool boxers and long sleeve on, he was right as rain. I Didn't stink! But I was hot as hell. No experience with the Kuiu stuff sorry mate. Hope this helps/eases your mind about your FL purchase. Good luck out yonder.

ChrisS

WKR
I used the kanabs last fall in the Adirondacks and I put on miles pushing through beech whips and clambering over rocks and deadfall.

I wore some holes in the crotch area where the merino and stretchy fabric meet. I just sewed a patch out of some old BDUs and they did well in CO. I have a pair of Obsidians as well that I'm going to give a try this fall as well. I think their built just the same.

I have attacks that I wore for 3-4 years (I still wear a pair in the winter while walking the dog). No holes or rips at all, but they do have some pulls in them from thorns and briars.

WKR
I had the old kanabs. Beat the hell out of them for 3 seasons. Surprisingly tough. I considered them a perfect pant in both hot and cold environments.

The only failure was the button pulled out. I was pretty disappointed in FL Cust Support when I asked about repair (not replacement). Their position was I already got my money's worth. It's not like I can't repair it myself, but at almost$200 for a pair of pants I had worn about 40 times I disagreed.
I was actually kind of pissed off at how they dismissed it as normal wear and swore I'd never buy their expensive made in China gear again. I fixed it myself and determined to "get my money's worth" last season.

Truth is they're still functional, no holes, still warm in the cold and breath great when it's warm. Still my favorite pants.

I wanted a solid color panties this year. Tried a bunch and then broke down and ordered a pair of Obsidians, my understanding is that this is the updated kanab. Arrived yesterday and they seem bomber. The small changes look to be a bonus and I figure I'll get years out of them. Except for the damn way the button is attached, lol. That they didn't change.

Still kills me to spend that much on a pair of pants, especially an import. But good gear beats bad weather and I haven't found a better pant yet.

Since I've already broken my own rule of never buying import gear again I'm going to go ahead and order some attacks today and try them out this year as well. But I don't think they'll beat the FLs... To me main feature is the side zips. We'll see if it makes a difference in pats that definitely won't breath as well as the FL Merino or if it just gets them up to that level of breathability.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the Attack and the Obsidian (just got them). At first glance, I was afraid the Obsidian wouldn't hold up, but have worn then half a dozen times Sage Grouse hunting, Elk hunting and they're holding up great. I think long term the Attack may hold up better, but I like the feel of the Obsidian pants more. Better fit for me, as the Obsidian seem to be a looser fit. I didn't pay full price for the Obsidian pants, so that helps. I think $200 is a bit steep...