And I'm Still Cold

Daubsnu1

FNG
Make sure your feet and head are well protected.

Years ago I kept piling on thicker and thicker socks...only to realize i had too much on...and my feet were sweating on the walk in. Same with head gear. Don't get too much on when walking in.

Another key: keeping the wind off you. I'm a huge fan of Gore-Tex or the like. Sat on an exposed hill during rifle season in NE, 22 degrees with 15MPH winds at my back. Merino wool, poly shirt, Kuiu Guide Jacket, Cabela's Mto50 Gore-Tex shell on top. Kuiu Attack pants and Cabela's Gore tex bibs laying over my lap on the bottom (not even wearing them). And stayed plenty warm.

Another key...get those chemical hand warmers and keep them in your gloves. If my hands / feet / head are warm, I can get away with less on my body.

boom

WKR
it's a different game when sitting still all day. you cant wear clothing designed for active warmth..at least i cant.

blackdawg

WKR
You could keep your current clothes and purchase a heater body suit or an IWOM. I tried an IWOM, I have a strong tolerance to the cold and it was just too warm for me until the temps were in the teens or lower. I think for normal folks it would be good below freezing.

gumbl3

WKR
I second the heater body suit.. You can't walk in wearing what you need to and not sweat your tail off. HBS is easy to carry then just step into once in the stand. Easy to regulate by unzipping the front vs having to shed entire layers.

First, I am a stand hunting whitetail hunter. This past week, we had temps in the high 20's with winds at 10 mph.

I had on aerowool bottoms, smartwool 250 bottoms, Kenai pants, and guide pants. Same up top, but sub the LL Bean 850 down jacket for the Kenai. Wool socks and Muck Boots, primaloft gloves, and a down muff. Peloton 240 beanie.

I know Kuiu is not stationary hunting clothes, but I like the material and the fit. How can I possibly still be chilled with all of that on? I did not sweat on the walk in so that was not a factor. Granted, my gloves came on and off to work my phone so that may have had something to do with it.

Do I need a heavier down jacket, sub down pants for the Kenai, rain gear for Guide?

if you are still hunting in those temps and you want one go to piece the heater body suit is a great choice

just let us know if you need help...we have some specials running on these now

First, I am a stand hunting whitetail hunter. This past week, we had temps in the high 20's with winds at 10 mph.

I had on aerowool bottoms, smartwool 250 bottoms, Kenai pants, and guide pants. Same up top, but sub the LL Bean 850 down jacket for the Kenai. Wool socks and Muck Boots, primaloft gloves, and a down muff. Peloton 240 beanie.

I know Kuiu is not stationary hunting clothes, but I like the material and the fit. How can I possibly still be chilled with all of that on? I did not sweat on the walk in so that was not a factor. Granted, my gloves came on and off to work my phone so that may have had something to do with it.

Do I need a heavier down jacket, sub down pants for the Kenai, rain gear for Guide?

You’ve gotten some good advice but I think it’s hard to give specific advice without knowing exactly was cold. I mean, I’m rarely cold everywhere and if I’m chilled to the bone it always started somewhere and progressed from there. My advice is to start there. If it starts with my feet, just for example, it doesn’t matter how hot my core gets - my feet are going to be cold and eventually they’ll make me miserable and feel cold in general. Keeping my hands and feet warm are either about adding insulation to those areas OR making head warmer. When you’re losing heat from your head, your body will automatically restrict blood flow to the extremities to ensure heat to your head. So, sometimes, increasing your headgear will warm your hands and feet. Maybe if you post what’s getting cold, specific advice can be given.

I don’t know about your Muck boots but mine aren’t that warm. Also, if my socks are so thick that my boots are tight, they restrict blood flow and can actually make my feet colder than a slightly thinner pair of socks. I’ve found that using an insulating pad under my feet helps keep them much warmer than having them directly on the ground; and it work ok in a tree stand also. Good insulated boots, really good socks and really good gloves are my key to staying out on a cold day. I wear Kuiu a lot but added the Super Down Pro jacket and have been ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoTikkas

WKR
Boots. The key and the curse. I'm currently wearing Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400. I've found them to be the best compromise of heat and weight. The ankle support is fantastic too. Side hilling isn't a problem anymore. Even with 55 year old ankles,lol. You have to be sock smart. As mentioned,tight boots are cold boots. Don't care how much insulation is in them. I can walk in with the 400,and not get clammy feet. Provided I'm not climbing the crick hill to get there. A pair of dry socks after getting on stand goes a long way toward fending off the cold. My typical sit is 10 hours. Yes,the cold can creep into my feet occasionally. It hasn't been a show stopper yet. You can get the same boot in a 1,000 gram I believe. I'd be afraid of making them too job specific at that weight. A liner sock combined with one of the excellent wool blends is all I wear. If I think I'll need it,a pair of dry outer socks will be in my kit.

halltrail

FNG
Lots of great advice already. I have a few setups. I get cold easily when stand hunting. Lot of times I have long hikes to where I hunt when it gets cold. I have Day one wool parka and bibs both with windproof liner and insulation. Very warm, very quiet, very heavy. Not my favorite to use on like hikes back because they are bulky and heavy. But one of my fav. setups due to quietness..I do like ASAT camo too. :)

Last year, I got the Sitka incinerator set because it is a lot lighter to carry in and packs down very well. It is very warm a little warmer than the dayone setup with same layers. I do get a little chill above my knees do the the compression as mentioned. I just stand up occasionally to warm up there...or I place to toe warmers just above my knees in a base layer pocket. That works great. Plus they are waterproof and great at cutting the wind. But and to me the only negative..is the incinerator is a little noisy especially up against some trees. I have killed a number of doe with a bow with the set...but it worries me and I have to move slow...the area it worries me the most is if I have to move to make a shot behind me or way off to the side. I know those deer shouldn't be there downwind of me...but it seems to happen to me a lot. It probably isnt a deal breaker...but compared to the dayone which makes no noise...if I know I can use the dayone...shorter walks or not as cold...I use the dayone set. Honestly both sets get a lot of use. Sometimes I wear the sitka incinerator bibs and dayone parka...that works great. This year I bought a sitka fanatic vest and I love it. Im going to buy the Sitka fanatic coat and try that with the incinerator bibs with fanatic coat and vest next year. I think there are a lot of huters that do just that setup.

I also have an IWOM. It is the warmest thing I have to wear. It is a little bulky and heavy...but it is WARM and waterproof. It isnt to bad to pack in though..the way it roles up. I dont have a problem putting it on in the stand and I use a lone wolf assault a lot. I personally like it better than the HBS because where I hunt, I dont think I can get away with that extra movement to get out of the HBS. On public land here the deer look for you in the trees and are skittish. I hunt with my bow sitting on my lap so I dont have to move to get it off a hanger. Plus there are too many times where deer are in fast or the opposite they come in slow and you get cold coming out of the HBS and waiting...Just my humble opinion. One big negative is...it is a little noisy..about the same as the incinerator set. But, I have killed many deer wearing it with a bow...I just have to move slow and carefully. The IWOM comes out in the nastiest weather below 15 degrees and windy for me. Having the wind helps reduce noise issues.

Because I hike back at least a mile on public and I skin and debone the deer and pack out. I have to have good leather boots. I wear Lowa tibets. To keep my feet warm wearing them I have to use the arctic shield boots. I hate having to pack extra in..but I have no choice. Fortunately the boot covers pack down well and are pretty light and keep my feet warm. I have seen deer catch my scent if they hit my track more with leather boots than rubber boots...but I just cant carry an 85lbs pack (deer meet, hide and equipment) with rubber boots. I try and plan my track to tree carefully. Where I have shorter walks on private land...I wear Baffin Impact boots...they are snow mobile boots. They are a little big..but they are the only thing that keep my feet warm outside of boot covers. Ive tried everything...2000 gram rubber boots, those funny looking military bunny boots...I still have a pair of the black ones...lol. Those Baffin boots are the real deal for warmth. My feet are the worst to keep warm. One nice thing about the IWOM..is I can wear my leather boots and not have to use boot covers.

I hunt a lot for deer. We have unlimited doe where Im at... I took 14 this year..I love to hunt. We love eating meat. :) I have spent a lot of time and money trying to find a way to stay warm and comfortable. Hopefully this helps you make a decision with out having to try everything out. I have heard the FL sanctuary is pretty good too but maybe not as warm as the incinerator but quiet. I have some of there base layer stuff and its great. I just ordered a FL woodbury to try out when its above 35 degrees. Feel free to message me if you want any more detail.

For reference, I can wear most of this stuff up to 35 degrees (obviously lighter layers)and not get to hot...I think I get cold sitting outside easier than most...but I can go out in the cold in light clothing if Im active. I sit on average for 4 hours. I can do that pretty easily in all these setups at 0 to 35 degrees. All day sits in 5 degrees or so Ive only down in the IWOM and even then I used a few hand warmers. Good luck let us know what you do.

Last edited:

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great advice already. I have a few setups. I get cold easily when stand hunting. Lot of times I have long hikes to where I hunt when it gets cold. I have Day one wool parka and bibs both with windproof liner and insulation. Very warm, very quiet, very heavy. Not my favorite to use on like hikes back because they are bulky and heavy. But one of my fav. setups due to quietness..I do like ASAT camo too. :)

Last year, I got the Sitka incinerator set because it is a lot lighter to carry in and packs down very well. It is very warm a little warmer than the dayone setup with same layers. I do get a little chill above my knees do the the compression as mentioned. I just stand up occasionally to warm up there...or I place to toe warmers just above my knees in a base layer pocket. That works great. Plus they are waterproof and great at cutting the wind. But and to me the only negative..is the incinerator is a little noisy especially up against some trees. I have killed a number of doe with a bow with the set...but it worries me and I have to move slow...the area it worries me the most is if I have to move to make a shot behind me or way off to the side. I know those deer shouldn't be there downwind of me...but it seems to happen to me a lot. It probably isnt a deal breaker...but compared to the dayone which makes no noise...if I know I can use the dayone...shorter walks or not as cold...I use the dayone set. Honestly both sets get a lot of use. Sometimes I wear the sitka incinerator bibs and dayone parka...that works great. This year I bought a sitka fanatic vest and I love it. Im going to buy the Sitka fanatic coat and try that with the incinerator bibs with fanatic coat and vest next year. I think there are a lot of huters that do just that setup.

I also have an IWOM. It is the warmest thing I have to wear. It is a little bulky and heavy...but it is WARM and waterproof. It isnt to bad to pack in though..the way it roles up. I dont have a problem putting it on in the stand and I use a lone wolf assault a lot. I personally like it better than the HBS because where I hunt, I dont think I can get away with that extra movement to get out of the HBS. On public land here the deer look for you in the trees and are skittish. I hunt with my bow sitting on my lap so I dont have to move to get it off a hanger. Plus there are too many times where deer are in fast or the opposite they come in slow and you get cold coming out of the HBS and waiting...Just my humble opinion. One big negative is...it is a little noisy..about the same as the incinerator set. But, I have killed many deer wearing it with a bow...I just have to move slow and carefully. The IWOM comes out in the nastiest weather below 15 degrees and windy for me. Having the wind helps reduce noise issues.

Because I hike back at least a mile on public and I skin and debone the deer and pack out. I have to have good leather boots. I wear Lowa tibets. To keep my feet warm wearing them I have to use the arctic shield boots. I hate having to pack extra in..but I have no choice. Fortunately the boot covers pack down well and are pretty light and keep my feet warm. I have seen deer catch my scent if they hit my track more with leather boots than rubber boots...but I just cant carry an 85lbs pack (deer meet, hide and equipment) with rubber boots. I try and plan my track to tree carefully. Where I have shorter walks on private land...I wear Baffin Impact boots...they are snow mobile boots. They are a little big..but they are the only thing that keep my feet warm outside of boot covers. Ive tried everything...2000 gram rubber boots, those funny looking military bunny boots...I still have a pair of the black ones...lol. Those Baffin boots are the real deal for warmth. My feet are the worst to keep warm. One nice thing about the IWOM..is I can wear my leather boots and not have to use boot covers.

I hunt a lot for deer. We have unlimited doe where Im at... I took 14 this year..I love to hunt. We love eating meat. :) I have spent a lot of time and money trying to find a way to stay warm and comfortable. Hopefully this helps you make a decision with out having to try everything out. I have heard the FL sanctuary is pretty good too but maybe not as warm as the incinerator but quiet. I have some of there base layer stuff and its great. I just ordered a FL woodbury to try out when its above 35 degrees. Feel free to message me if you want any more detail.

For reference, I can wear most of this stuff up to 35 degrees (obviously lighter layers)and not get to hot...I think I get cold sitting outside easier than most...but I can go out in the cold in light clothing if Im active. I sit on average for 4 hours. I can do that pretty easily in all these setups at 0 to 35 degrees. All day sits in 5 degrees or so Ive only down in the IWOM and even then I used a few hand warmers. Good luck let us know what you do.

I’m sure the Incinerator is nice and warm, but I’d have a hard time believing the Sanctuary isn’t as warm. Plus it is very, very quiet. It’s the same material as the Woodbury, so let us know how it compares to the Sitka offerings.

Unless you are really cold blooded, the Woodbury might be too warm for you at 35°F. That’s about the highest temperature I break my Woodbury out. YMMV.

halltrail

FNG
I’m sure the Incinerator is nice and warm, but I’d have a hard time believing the Sanctuary isn’t as warm. Plus it is very, very quiet. It’s the same material as the Woodbury, so let us know how it compares to the Sitka offerings.

Unless you are really cold blooded, the Woodbury might be too warm for you at 35°F. That’s about the highest temperature I break my Woodbury out. YMMV.

Just in case it wasn't clear in my message..I dont have personal experience with the sanctuary..I was only repeating what another reviewer had said and supposedly had both or tried both the sanctuary and incinerator. If the woodbury ends up being really nice....i may even try the sanctuary set. How is the weight of the sanctuary set? I see FL was claimed weights for size large...ill have to check the weights of the dayone stuff again. But I have xl. Id buy it in a minute if it is as light as the incinerator set and just as warm...to get something that is quiet. My thought was that the sanctuary maybe just as heavy as the dayone wool I have.

akrdkill

WKR
look into the ecws L7 hi loft pants for sitting, bulky?, yea a tad but your not hiking in them, pick up a jacket if you like the pants, pack it in, hibernate in them

Is it possible that you are sweating on the way out to your stand. That will make you cold no matter what you wear. Do layers and put the layers on out at the stand even if you are a bit cold walking out. My feet will sweat a lot of time then will be cold quickly after sitting.

Cgeb

WKR
Plus one on the sitka stuff. I have got into layering with thicker wool as my base layer, that works pretty well too.

I've sat a bunch of subzero. Goretex and layers.
I run tight to skin wool, then down puffy layer, then goretex rain jacket and finally a heavy soft shell.
This is for bottoms and top.
Most important is wind proof beanie and wool beanie over that with wind proof fleece neck gaiter.
I also run two seperate hand muffs one artic shield with hand warmers in it and then one I can operate phone with above it.
Moving hands to oven after about two minutes...don't let hands get cold can't get that temp back.

TwoTikkas

WKR
I've sat a bunch of subzero. Goretex and layers.
I run tight to skin wool, then down puffy layer, then goretex rain jacket and finally a heavy soft shell.
This is for bottoms and top.
Most important is wind proof beanie and wool beanie over that with wind proof fleece neck gaiter.
I also run two seperate hand muffs one artic shield with hand warmers in it and then one I can operate phone with above it.
Moving hands to oven after about two minutes...don't let hands get cold can't get that temp back.

Good points. Don't forget your neck and head! If my neck gets cold,it's all over. Before we had all the good gear of today,I was married to turtle neck sweaters. Some long enough to roll up over my chin. Today we have lots of options for the neck.