Stone Glacier Grumman Goose Down Jacket and Pants

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the privilege of taking the Stone Glacier Grumman Down Jacket and Pants for a spin, and I'm look forward to sharing my experiences with these pieces of gear. Designed for backcountry hunters, the Grumman Down Jacket and Pants represent the pinnacle of packability, warmth, and protection.

Let's start with the Grumman Goose Down Jacket, a true embodiment of "Ultralight" design. Its Pertex® Quantum shell, combined with HyperDRY™ 850+ Fill Power DWR treated down, makes it a technical insulation piece like no other in the hunting industry. Weighing in at just 11.8 oz. with 5.3 oz. of 90/10 goose down fill, you'd be hard-pressed to find a hunting jacket that matches these stats. Features like a well-fitted hood, reverse coil YKK zippers, and a unique cuff design, along with strategic color blocking for breaking up body symmetry, have made this jacket an absolute favorite here at Stone Glacier.

As for the Grumman Goose Down Pant is its perfect partner, offering the same level of weight reduction and packability. Down hunting pants can be a game-changer in adverse conditions, but traditional options often fall short in terms of packing convenience and field usability. Stone Glacier set out to change that. These pants feature 850+ fill power, HyperDRY™ down insulation, and a Pertex® Quantum shell textile, delivering an incredible warmth-to-weight ratio. The real magic lies in the full-length side-zip, making them virtually disappear in your pack until needed.

With these two in your kit, you're ready for anything. Frigid temperatures when mother nature won't quit? Neither will you. Sub zero nights in the sleeping bag? Layer up with this set. Long glassing sessions on a mountaintop? No problem. These pieces are designed for backcountry hunters who know that staying warm and protected is a game-changer when you're out there.

Join me as I delve into my experiences with the Stone Glacier Grumman Down Jacket and Pants. Let's find out if they truly live up to the hype.

Stay tuned for the video!

@robby denning

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 10.15.58 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 10.15.58 AM.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC09291.JPG
    DSC09291.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 127
  • PXL_20221015_132751062.jpg
    PXL_20221015_132751062.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 10.18.38 AM 1.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 10.18.38 AM 1.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 128
OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could you opine on both the sizing and some reviews which state the shell material is beyond wafer thin and will rip/tear simply removing it from the packaging?
Hey I understand what you are saying. A rule of thumb is puffy clothes that are ultra light aren't typically durable because something has to give when weight is cut. I did use these a lot and I only got one hole in the jacket and its because I hooked it on something. The sizing is true to fit for the jacket I think the pants run small.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I usually wear an XL in a jacket because I like a loose fit but the Grumman was sloppy loose on me. I had to go with a L which to me fits closer to an XL.

Haha, thanks for the expert analysis. I just meant more that I’m not sure if that’s done for a specific reason. I assumed maybe it was for heat retention but what do I know.
I'm no expert but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before!

The cut of the jacket is simply to small at the waist in any given size. I'm a large in everything, bought a large jacket and could barely get it zipped up. Got an XL and it was marginally better at the waist but way to big everywhere else.

It seems like the jacket is cut for guys that are 6'5" and 146 lbs which is very few of us.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member

The cut of the jacket is simply to small at the waist in any given size. I'm a large in everything, bought a large jacket and could barely get it zipped up. Got an XL and it was marginally better at the waist but way to big everywhere else.

It seems like the jacket is cut for guys that are 6'5" and 146 lbs which is very few of us.
I disagree with this. I did not find that the jacket was cut to small at the waist.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I think the built-in stretch feature saves a ton of weight, but it also makes the waist diameter on the piece that much more important. I would not mind an extra inch on it, and would both agree it isn't out of the fit block, but it also is "tight" just due to how that built-in stretch feature is incorperated. Not as tight as the original dehavilland jacket was down there at least.

Agreed, sent mine back due to being way to tight in the waist. Same with the cirque vest. Fit great otherwise.

grainhog

FNG
A two way zipper would solve the tight waist issue, and is just generally a feature that increasingly imo every insulated top should have. It would only increase the weight by one zipper pull which is well worth the added functionality even for a UL piece in my view.

I tried the XL and was swimming in it. So the large was the better fit. Just wish the waist line was better and also would have liked to see a Velcro on the back of the hood instead of a pull tab. The pull tab is very uncomfortable when you are trying to sleep in the jacket.

Arithson

FNG
Beagle....thanks. That was part of what I was looking for. So True to Size at minimum to Oversized.
The jacket is pretty true to size but I would size up one size in the pants. Up one size in the jacket also if you want to just put it on over everything

Rus

FNG
Thinking about picking one of these up. The new tarmac color looks pretty good. Are the jackets as shiny as it looks on their website? Some pics don’t look as bad but others it looks like it has a lot of sheen.