My question doesn’t fit...

Finbob

FNG
Where is the best place to get a good deal on non-hunting technical clothing? Pants, base layers etc (the stuff that doesn’t “need” to be camo). I’m wondering how much “camo tax” applies to FL, kuiu, Sitka etc. Can I get comparable items from non-hunting brands for cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to REI. You can find comparable clothing for a little less but just remember huntimg clothes have little things done to them to make it more suitable for hunting like rip-stop fabric and things like that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Eddie Bauer makes good stuff. Lots of guys like their guide pants. The one's I tried looked like the were painted on me though.

To play off a previous post, the main difference I've found is the quietness of the fabric. I get a kick out of the emphasis some put on how quiet a fabric is, but some of the non-hunting articles that I've eyeballed have been downright loud.

I've got some good stuff at REI, Sierra is kind of like camofire in that you have to check it regularly, I still need to get a Costco membership.

It seems like hunting companies are starting to put out more solid colors too.

Find a northface outlet. I saw a jacket there that looked identical to a kelvin lite hoody, just without the camo and the camo price tag. Either NF ripped sitka off or vice versa. I’m sure there are even more pieces with similarities and they could all be used for hunting.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For my hunting clothes the material, fit, and craftsmanship are my priorities......camo and/or pattern is way down the list. IMO none of it "needs" to be camo. I bow hunt a lot with my solid black LS microfleece mock-T over my merino base. I was wearing that this last year on my daughter's ML hunt, and wearing a bright orange/blue Denver Broncos ball cap. She was wearing a bright orange ball cap with bright orange vest while shooting her elk at 30 yards. Camo works great for keeping other hunters from seeing me though.

But Camofire, STP, and even EB and Cabela's has some great deals on stuff at times. My favorite camo clothes that I've used I got for $20/piece from Cabela's, but they discontinued them....which is why they were cheap.

Daubsnu1

FNG
Check REI's close out / "hot deals" section. Looks like they call it REI garage now.

I picked up some last year's North Face outerwear for 50% off list price a few years back.

FreeRange

WKR
A lot of good suggestions above. I hardly buy from REI anymore unless its in the outlet. Once you find a piece you want to get searching online (google shopping is a good way to search multiple websites for the best pricing), ebay, Backcountry.com are all good ways to find the cheapest price. Used there are a lot of good options available, I always use LWHiker.com it's a super good resource for searching used posting on backpacking forums.

One note on eBay, I've heard rumors there's a lot of counterfit Arcteryx stuff circulating on ebay so beware.

The noise issue is real, you do have to carefully select the pieces you choose. There's not a lot of good info out there from the outdoors community as they aren't concerned with noise as we are so it's rarely addressed in reviews.

Costco, great pants for under 20 bucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I have 4 pairs of what I believe are the pants you are referring to, they are Union Bay, but this year it seems our local Costco replaced them with a similarly designed pair of Eddie Bauer pants but still only $20, I haven't got a pair but a co-worker has and they seem better built, 3 of the 4 pairs of the others i have torn in various places and I only wear them for in home physical therapy so durability is somewhat questionable

Vaultman

WKR
Go to REI. You can find comparable clothing for a little less but just remember huntimg clothes have little things done to them to make it more suitable for hunting like rip-stop fabric and things like that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The other thing that hunting clothes have, is generally they are from quieter fabrics. (They should be)

Patagonia has been a go to for backpacking clothes. The have a sale twice a year where some good deals can be had. ( if you don’t mind some odd colors)