My Kifaru T1 went on a diet

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
So are most guys hunting with pack on everyday? No one leaves pack at camp?

Big pack stays at camp and i hunt with E&E. I have been thinking about adding a war belt to the mix for some time and finally ordered a Grunt Gear Infidel.

Manosteel

WKR
I always take my Pack; inside is my outer layer of clothing, rain gear, food for the day plus next morning, kill kit, emergeny misc, quilt, pad and bivy; it all wieghts about 25 lbs. You never know when you will spend an unexpected night out becuase of the animal or some other reason.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I cut my T1 bag and long hunter lid but I didn't cut my duplex frame...yet. Snow collar and divider on the bag and belt and belt pocket on lid . I did leave the sliders so I could attach things to the lid but I'll probably get around to cutting those too. I'll just cut the metal slider and leave the sewn loops that hold them. I haven't missed anything I cut. If I was crafty like Mike I'd make some bino holders out of the fabric...but I'm not so it's in a bag in the junk room.

I was thinking the same thing about my scraps. I've made one attempt at a "pouch" and it proves my un-craftiness. But I've got quite a bit left so I'm going to try and sew something useful together. Good practice I guess.

xXlojackXx

Lil-Rokslider
These threads crack me up.

Brock that's cool what you did, but when loaded with meat does that 15oz make a difference? Not like you're going to weigh your pack before hauling out an animal.

I guess I just can stomach the idea of cutting too much off my packs lol. I could easily see myself ruining a $750 pack haha

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
These threads crack me up.

Brock that's cool what you did, but when loaded with meat does that 15oz make a difference? Not like you're going to weigh your pack before hauling out an animal.

I guess I just can stomach the idea of cutting too much off my packs lol. I could easily see myself ruining a $750 pack haha

Absolutely, 15oz makes a difference. When you add that 15oz up with the other weight I cut from my sleep system, rifle & clothes, you're talking about 4-6 lbs. Now I don't know about you but if I have an animal loaded up for a long hike to the truck, I will gladly accept shaving 4-6 lbs off that.

If you take your time trimming, you won't ruin it ;-)

Last edited:

Manosteel

WKR
It sure dose make a difference, think of how much of a difference it is when packing an animal out with or without your bow on your pack. You feel it. Shitz when I pack a sheep off a mountain, I either bury( if I know I will be back in the area) or burn uneaten food, about 1-3 lbs worth and that makes a difference.

At some point their is a breaking point for each person on how much they can carry for a certain distance and often its a pound or two difference. to put it very simply, probably too simply, but I can bench press 205 for 4 reps put on 5 lbs and I can't. Every pound less than 205 my reps go up - this continues to a point where 135 is a warm up wieght.

Oz's =pounds and pounds = misery.

Shrek

WKR
Not to mention that the snow collar is mostly in the way. Rolled down I would catch things on the collar getting them out and extended the bag becomes way too deep , and I have 36" sleeve length arms. If I need the extra space I'll go hobo style and strap chit to the outside or stretch the lid straps and tuck a stuff sack full of whatever under the lid. It's not just the weight , it also cleans up the bag imo.

To remove the snow collar do you just pull out that first seam on the inside or do you have to leave the seam and actually cut the fabric just above it?

Thanks, I guess I have the same question on the divider at the bottom. Pull the seam on the back of the bag or cut the fabric?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
To remove the snow collar do you just pull out that first seam on the inside or do you have to leave the seam and actually cut the fabric just above it?

Cut the fabric on both the snow collar and sleeping bag divider. Do not remove the stitching. That will make for issues down the road. If any issues give me a call at the shop or cell

Joe
303-278-9155
480-326-9009
[email protected]

I agree 100%. But in my case I have no body weight to lose.

That's a good problem to have! :)
Yea I am not referring to your case. But it seems a lot of people start hacking stuff just cuz others are doing it. A lot of the buckles and attachments that guys are hacking off might be useful in the future. There is a reason they are on there. Many have come in handy for me in the past. I have used a number of the attachments on the frame for lash points on akward loads.

But everyone is a little different and does it to their style. Which is ok!

Happy Hunting! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 126

Clarktar

WKR
I finally got around to trimming my DT1 and longer hunter. Worked well. Removed belt and belt pouch on the long hunter, but kept inside tabs for now, as I have a small pocket attached. We will see if that gets the axe as well.

Trimmed the snow collar, but kept the sleeping bag divider for now. We will see if that gets removed, sometime at the end of this summer.

I gave My T1 a diet last winter as well after talking to Aron about it. I didnt cut anything off the outside but everything on the inside went bye bye. Minus the water bladder pouch. I just wish my diet showed the gains as fast as my T1's diet did. lol