My Kifaru T1 went on a diet

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well after too much whiskey in my coffee (just kidding) on Sunday morning I finally got the nerve up to cut some stuff off my pack and long hunter lid. I started with the lid. I was able to trim quite a bit off this.

Started at 14 3/8oz. I cut everything off of this. Its now just a lid and pocket.

Here is the carnage. 6 5/8oz worth

Next was the bag. I removed the sleeping bag divider, snow collar & all the interior plastic hardware. I also cut off the paracord zipper pulls and replaced them with orange Dyneema cord so I can see them easier. I removed about 8oz from the T1

The Havalon made quick work of my cuts

Here is everything I cut off or took out.

Final weight of Duplex frame, T1 pack, Long Hunter lid and a small and medium pocket: 7lb 6oz
Final weight of stuff removed from bag and lid: 15oz

Last edited:

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
Nice, haven't quite gotten the nerve to do it myself, stil lwanting to make sure I don't take anything that I'll regret later. Huge gains though- definitely a motivator!

Manosteel

WKR
After a full season of hunting I had a pretty god idea of how I will be using my pack from now on so I gave my Bikin frame and Timberline 1 bag (BT1) the weight cut last month. Got it down to 5lbs 5oz. Watched Aron's video and took a big breath before the havalon came out to do its thing.

weaver

WKR
Nice work! I just got done with my longhunter lid.

Bikini frame
Older hacked up long hunter bag (5200 cu in)
Long hunter lid
Grabit
2 small belt pouches
= 5lb 6oz

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got my Duplex Frame/EMRII/Longhunter lid combo down to 6lbs 2 oz's

Pretty good, especially when you figure I'm at 9,400+ CI at that weight.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Brock now you an ship me all your scrap material so i can make something with it =-)

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock now you an ship me all your scrap material so i can make something with it =-)

You seriously could! haha. I kept all the hardware though.

Brock- do you need someone to talk to? You can vent to me. Cutting can be a serious thing lol.

Lol, once I started I just couldn't stop. I was looking for anything to hack!

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
I trimmed 12 oz of my MR 7500, so now I'm down to 9 lbs 11 oz ;). Haven't taken out the sleeping bag divider or any of the straps inside the bag yet.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Nicely done sir! I recently put my lowly USMC ILBE pack on a similar diet and lost 2.4 lbs. Went from around low 10 lbs. to upper 7 lbs. Well worth it, and good practice for down the road when I can afford a Kifaru.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cut all things off I'm pointing at in photos. I tied on compression straps with Kelty triptease and cut off the G Hooks.

Cut all unnecessary items off Longhunter lid.

uploadfromtaptalk1398725369163.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398725380084.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398725391668.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398725402704.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398725413596.jpg

littlebuf

Banned
i feel like m the only one who hasnt cut up my kifaru. i may break down and cut out the sleeping bag divider ive never used