Elk calls for a beginner

hwy1strat

WKR
I find that the single reed with the palate plate are the easiest to learn how to get a good sound out of. Maybe that's just me and they work for the shape of my mouth. Example: Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

I know whenever I try diaphragm calls, I buy several different types from different manufacturers and try them all to see what works for me. Also, don't be afraid to trim the tape around the call to fit in your mouth better.

TWGator

FNG
I bought some Phelps calls this year (white,gray amp) they are super easy to use. I'm no expert but like others have said, I took them in the truck to work and just mess with them. Also like the bugle tube he sells, no Reed just use your mouth call with it. Plus Jason answers the phone when you call and he seems like a hell of a nice guy.

Mmcan

WKR
I've really struggled w mount diaphragm calls. I can sound good enough to call in a herd of cows and the biggest 7X7 on earth while driving in my truck or sitting on my couch. But once I'm hunting, it's just not the same. And as you know, it has to be right from the start, and also especially at the moment you're trying to get a bull to close just a bit more. Very frustrating.

I just bought a couple of these.

Reel Game Call's Hardwood elk hunting call

I opened the package, put it in my mouth, and I'll be damned. It sounds fricking great and is so easy to use. It really allows you to make a range of cow sounds immediately. I'm very impressed. It also allows hands free usage, which is why I don't just stick with the ones you hold up to your mouth.

I'm not sure if I can bugle with this, however. I'll still need a mouth diaphragm and a bugle for that. But check out the videos on the site. I couldn't believe how easy it is to use and sound good.

texag10

WKR
The Phelps amp frame is by far the easiest to learn and use in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from never having used a diaphragm call for anything to making cow mews in about 10 minutes with the black Phelps AMP. Now I know I will get the sound I want first time, no problems.

For me, I can get the sounds I want with the diaphragm further forward in my mouth. I gag easily, so diaphragms that need to be further back can cause problems for me.

Swede

WKR
The problem with a diaphragm for a beginner will be consistency. Even here in late August you have time to learn to make some good sounds, but you better be a fast learner to get real consistent. If this was still February, I would be thinking choose whatever you want to go with. If you would like to try diaphragms then buy several and decide what works best for you. In February you have time, and even if you stink at it after six months, there is opportunity to switch.