Calling cow elk

mci79

FNG
Hey guys,
New to elk hunting so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. My son drew a cow elk tag in Idaho and I’m wondering if there is a way to call in the cows (lost calf? assembly mew? Bugle?) or is better to try spot and stalk?
He’s been practicing some calls but we have no idea if it will help or hurt more since the majority or resources out there are for calling in bulls.
Ok, flame away

Duh

WKR
If the cow hunt is around the rut, I’d chase bugles in hopes of finding cows. I wouldn’t necessarily call to them right away. Sometimes while the bulls are piping off you can sneak in close and pick off some cows.

OP
M

mci79

FNG
If the cow hunt is around the rut, I’d chase bugles in hopes of finding cows. I wouldn’t necessarily call to them right away. Sometimes while the bulls are piping off you can sneak in close and pick off some cows.
Thank you. The hunt starts right at the end of the rut and then will continue post rut. I’m hoping the bulls will still be bugling to help us find them.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Duh

Jaquomo

WKR
Lost calf calls are golden all through the fall. Put some emotion into it, sound a little frantic, and "be the calf". I've called in lots, including entire herds of cows, for hunters during rifle seasons with this call (from a mouth diaphragm).

OP
M

mci79

FNG
Lost calf calls are golden all through the fall. Put some emotion into it, sound a little frantic, and "be the calf". I've called in lots, including entire herds of cows, for hunters during rifle seasons with this call (from a mouth diaphragm).
👍🏻 appreciate the advice.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
What I have found with the hoochie mama is, if the cows are on the move, the call tends to stop them and they look around for the lost calf. KAPOW.

TaperPin

WKR
I have yet to see anyone have success attracting cows, but I always have a cow call - a mew will stop a walking elk for a few seconds.

TaperPin

WKR
Hey guys,
New to elk hunting so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. My son drew a cow elk tag in Idaho and I’m wondering if there is a way to call in the cows (lost calf? assembly mew? Bugle?) or is better to try spot and stalk?
He’s been practicing some calls but we have no idea if it will help or hurt more since the majority or resources out there are for calling in bulls.
Ok, flame away
This isn’t really a hunting trick, but rather fun with spike elk - spikes get the cold shoulder when mom has a new kid, and then they are kicked out of a herd and are on their own for the first time during the rut. These poor guys respond really well to cow calls. I use just enough volume so he barely hears it….wait until he loses interest and goes back to whatever he was doing, and do it again. Each time he’ll get more excited until he runs right at you! It’s fun and funny.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
The Elk Nut app has some calling sequences that bring cows in. The sequences he talks about I’ve had work on several occasions for bringing in cows, calves, and spikes. A lost calf sound plays to their maternal instincts, but I’ve also heard of guys having to deal with grizzlies coming in to their setup from doing their lost calf sequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
What do you consider post rut? November?

For a kid, I'd key in on feeding areas and snipe one.

Lost calf and general social talk has called in cows for me. One or two come to calls, I haven’t had a big group come in

ElkNut1

WKR
Mci79, there are a variety of sounds % Sequences that attract Cow elk as well as Spikes over mature bulls. Targeting Cows means using a tactic where they are a higher percentage to show up first. What works really well is using sounds that require assistance or aid from their species.

Such sounds as the Lost Calf or Cow can work but there are others to be considered that I feel are better. Such ones as the Regathering Whine/Mew, Contact Buzz, Cow Party are several that come to mind. By seeing when to use one over the other depending on your situation will come with being familiar to each ones message to the elk.

I've called in hundreds of Cows over the years with all of these, the Regathering Whine being at the top of the list. Too, the Cow Party when used correctly is incredible! It's so realistic & believable to the elk.

These Tactics are all on the ElkNut App & much more, most are in video form so you can see their application & actual sounds used. These tactics have drawn elk from over a 1/2 mile away. Check them out, you'll be glad you did if the occasion arises where you need to call them your way.

ElkNut

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
ask nicely for their number, then shoot em a text.

All jokes aside, glass them up and make a plan.