Wyoming Elk...who's applying? Increased cost changing your plans?

Trial153

WKR
The price of the special draw sucks. i cant believe i spent what i spent on an elk tag.

I kind of think we Might see odds jump a little in 2018- as guys burn points- then drop down a little in 2019 with fewer applications- but still seeing a lot of guys who held out in 2018 burning max points in 2019 which will be heavily touted and hyped by the tag services. 2020 will be a good year to have a few points, 2021 the points will start to creep again- with renewed vigor due to a couple years with moderately improved drawing odds.

So sayeth my portfolio manager

Didn’t get into the hunting game (elk specifically) as this will be my 3rd season coming up with Archery. Only sitting at 3 points, throwing the hail mary for a LE Unit on random. Calculated the odds from last year via WGFD, not great but someone’s gotta draw it.

Anyways, I’m waiting to watch and see how the dust settles. I really want a LE Unit for some peace and quiet but not sure now, might end up burning 4 points next year on a general which is a bummer but who knows. Either way I think as most stated after my points are gone I’m just applying for general as a non-resident. Too many areas to hunt and get away from the crowds with it but I’d really like it if I can just squeeze in a LE Unit every 5 years in WY.

Just going to have wait and see next year.

Last edited:

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member

I think you’ll see odds get better on many of the lower and middle point units in the special draw.

Conversely I think you’ll see the regular draw odds get worse on those same units.

I think there will be many that have been using the special draw that jump over to the regular because they can’t see spending the extra $ for a low point level unit.

Just a theory. I could be 100% wrong.
We’ll all find out in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I think you’ll see odds get better on many of the lower and middle point units in the special draw.

Conversely I think you’ll see the regular draw odds get worse on those same units.

I think there will be many that have been using the special draw that jump over to the regular because they can’t see spending the extra $ for a low point level unit.

intresting. I put in for the special draw( not thrilled about the cost).
my logic was two fold. first i semi commited to a hunt in so far as the extra money isnt worth not keeping my word.
And secondly I picked a unit that had( at least in the past) a big spread difference in points needed bewteen the special and regular draw. In other words paying for the extra points vs paying the extra for special draw is close to break even.

So we see how it goes. I should draw and if i draw AZ as well it will be a busy three weeks of elk hunting.

all that said i am changing WY up. I most likey will cash in my deer and lope points in the next few years, I dont plan on buying more. For elk if i reup points at all it will only be enough for a gen tag and no more. I am dropping out of moose and sheep with the increase. not throwing anymore good money after bad. WY prices are boardline insane at this point.

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider

Judging by the first few banquets I have been to this year I doubt odds will go down. The economy is roaring, people have money and are spending it. Tags that went for 7-8k at past banquets have gone for over 30k this year. Sheepshow set all kinds of records in Reno I hear. I don't think the increase will hurt until the economy falls again, but it seems we are a few years out from that. They timed the increase right, had they done this at the bottom of the economy a few years ago it would have been bad, but now with all this money flowing around not many will complain or blink when sending Wyoming 1400 for an elk tag.

It changed my mind. Thought about getting in on the game in Wyoming to hunt a general unit every couple years. Decided not to. That's a chunk of change for a point. I will get my point in Colorado and hunt OTC every year. I will burn my Co points every few years, or maybe I will just keep building them until I'm old and decrepit!

Cashed in my points this year and will be done with elk. Will probably just do antelope from here on out. I was only collecting elk and antelope points there. I will cash all my antelope points in, in 3 years when my son turns 12 so I can have a great hunt with him. Will still do antelope after that not sure if I will do points since there are great hunts up there that don't require any.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to put in for a limited entry that I want but probably will not get. I then will try to get a cow/calf and go do more scouting and perhaps hunt something else also. I believe I might do a guided hunt next year with a buddy (who will likely get to go only one more time in his life) if I do not get the limited entry I want this year. Going to try and go out a couple of times this year and look at some new real estate and plan for a combo hunt or perhaps a deer diy and guided elk in 2019.

I hope everyone gets the tag they are hoping for!

TWP

FNG
So....how many points to even draw a general tag this year and the next few? With a special General will you be able to draw every year???

mossyhorn

FNG
TWP, special general will not be 100% with zero points. It wasn’t last year. Odds keep going down every year.

Prices won’t keep me out of the mountains either. They’ll just be mountains in another state. Not gonna pay for special anymore.

TWP

FNG
So, 2 points in the regular general isn’t going to get me and my buddy in this year and I need to be looking for other states is what your saying???

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
So, 2 points in the regular general isn’t going to get me and my buddy in this year and I need to be looking for other states is what your saying???

Last year 2 points in the regular pp draw was 100%. You still might draw the general tag. Most of what I have seen, as far as speculation on the regular draw, 2.5 points will be a 100%. Less than 2 points was 4.36% last year. Then you also have a chance to get drawn in the random.