Wall tent camp location in Colorado GMU 53?

Skull10

WKR
I am going to go on my first Colorado archery elk hunt this year. Late August - early September. I am zeroing in on GMU 53 and am looking for information on camp sites for wall tents close to the wilderness. I would like to find a nice open camp site that I can drive up to and set up camp. I can walk in from there daily and do my elk hunting. The wife wants to go along to enjoy the scenery and the peace and quiet. So a nice site with scenery would be ideal.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to locate a possible site for camping with a wall tent and still be close to the hunting area for elk.

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any info on that specific unit, but doubt many will share as that's essentially giving away their hunt location. My advice is to pull up Google Earth and follow some of the roads next to the wilderness. You should be able to pick out some camping areas. Other than that you can always call CPW or the Forest Service to see if they have dispersed camping recommendations.

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
I totally understand people not giving away their hunt locations, I'm not asking for that at all. I will clarify, by asking if there are designated camp areas or can you set up off one of the many roads that I see around the hunting area. I have been on Google maps, I see the dirt roads you are referring to, I'm just not sue if you can drive up, find a nice clear area and set up a camp site. Some states are different about that sort of thing.

I will definitely check in with the CPW for specifics on camping.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you're on national forest, there will be plenty of options for setting up your wall tent. Most any open area off those dirt roads will have already been used many many times over the years. Just a matter of who's already there when you get there. I'm pretty rigid with wanting specific sites in my areas so will go set up even before the season starts sometimes.

elkduds

WKR
You will have plenty of company @ every trailhead and the end of every forest service road into 53. Outfitters, horse trailers, RVs, base camps, a very popular unit w limited road access.

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. The wall tent option may have to wait. I have all the gear I need to do a back country hunt, the wife just won't be coming along. She'll have to come out another time. I would like to get back into the area as deep as I can and set up a camp. I know I will come across a lot of other hunters, but if I back country camp at least it will be limited.