Powderhorn Primitive outfitters CO GMU 66 review

Jkuhn22

FNG
I just completed a 1st rifle hunt with Powderhorn Primitive Outfitters and wanted to leave a little review as I had trouble finding info on them before my hunt.

This is my second guided hunt for Elk in Colorado, and first with Powderhorn Primitive. I would recommend them if you are looking for a horseback hunt. The camp is wall tents and you hunt in the Powderhorn wilderness area. Each morning you spend 45-1.5 hours on horses going 2-5 miles up into the wilderness. This saves a lot of hiking, but you better be comfortable on a horse (it is not a pony ride at the fair!). The trails are steep at times and the horses have to go over blow down and zig zag through the forest. The horses will Gallup and sometimes jump over down trees. If you are scared of horses or cannot get comfortable in those environments this is not the hunt for you.

We hunted mostly over meadows or crossings. We did limited calling, mostly only to locate. The longest hiking day was around 6-7 miles, but we are in shape and can handle 10+ miles per day. Most other hunters in camp were going 2-4 miles at most.

We were both successful in harvesting elk. My buddy killed his on opening morning within 30 minutes of first light. I killed mine on the evening of day 4. There were 7hunters in camp and 5 killed elk. 1 hunter saw bulls but no shot opportunities, the other hunter was experiencing health issues and could not ride the horse after the first day and could not hike very far.

The guides were good and the camp vibe and demeanor was welcoming, fun & positive. Food was good with hot breakfast sandwiches each morning, a packed lunch, and a good hot dinner each night.

This is a wall tent camp with out running water or electricity.

If you are looking for a guide in 66 or 67, give Monte at Powderhorn a call.

DM me if you would like more info on my experience with Powderhorn Primitive Outfitters. 20231014_073614.jpegIMG_5134.jpegIMG_5133.jpegIMG_5062.jpegIMG_5063.jpegIMG_5105.jpeg